• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

I heard this one from a guyfriend of mine...please tell me if It's the right version. He said that if one goes to a crossroads at midnight the devil will be there and he will grant you a wish, The only condition is he gets your soul in when you die.
My friend also added that some old blues singer (I don't know the singer's name) got famous this way but his life was pretty short.

Is the crossroads legend true? Has anyone here gone to a crossroads at night and witness anything? Thanks, folks!

#2 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

Robert Johnson was the bluesman. If you haven't seen the movie "Crossroads" (1986) starring Ralph "Karate Kid" Macchio, do so. It's based in part on the Robert Johnson legend. Joe Seneca plays Willie Brown who followed Johnson's lead by going down to the crossroads to make his deal.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Robert Johnson was the bluesman. If you haven't seen the movie "Crossroads" (1986) starring Ralph "Karate Kid" Macchio, do so. It's based in part on the Robert Johnson legend. Joe Seneca plays Willie Brown who followed Johnson's lead by going down to the crossroads to make his deal.

So there really was bluesman! Did Robert Johnson actually make a deal with the devil?

#4 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

I don't know if it's true or just folklore. Hmm, might be a good time for a Google search!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#5 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Here's the lyrics.

Crossroad Blues

by Robert Johnson
Recording of November 27, 1936
San Antonio, Texas

I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
Asked the lord above "Have mercy, save poor Bob, if you please"
Mmmmm, standin' at the crossroad, i tried to flag a ride
Standin' at the crossroad, i tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody semm to know me, everybody pass me by
Mmmm, the sun goin' down, boy, dark gon' catch me here
Oooo, eeee, boy, dark gon' catch me here
I haven't got no lovin' sweet woman that love and feel my care
You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
You can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
Lord i'm standin' at the crossroad, babe, i believe i'm sinkin' down

#6 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

Here's the lyrics.

Crossroad Blues

by Robert Johnson
Recording of November 27, 1936
San Antonio, Texas

Asked the lord above "Have mercy, save poor Bob, if you please"
Mmmmm, standin' at the crossroad, i tried to flag a ride
Standin' at the crossroad, i tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody semm to know me, everybody pass me by
Mmmm, the sun goin' down, boy, dark gon' catch me here
Oooo, eeee, boy, dark gon' catch me here
I haven't got no lovin' sweet woman that love and feel my care
You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
You can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
Lord i'm standin' at the crossroad, babe, i believe i'm sinkin' down

I guess this is after he made the deal with the devil and he regrets it. You're right Axman. A bit of research sound like a good idea.
Have you heard of this crossroads legend before personally? Have you ever hung out there at midnight?

#7 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

The song itself piqued my curiosity first because it was recorded by Eric Clapton and Cream. Then when the movie came out in 1986 it added more to my interest.

#8 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

I guess no one's has done the crossroads thing here. I hope people will pick up on this and post their threads in because I'm too scared to go out at midnight myself!

#9 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

I guess no one's has done the crossroads thing here. I hope people will pick up on this and post their threads in because I'm too scared to go out at midnight myself!

axlfoley this is something we'd be 2 scared to try...I'm surprised no one in the Village has tried it yet.

#10 cia_says77

cia_says77

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Computers, reading, writing poetry and songs, knitting, crochet, and of course the paranormal

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

does an intersection count? I personally wouldn't try that. I never want to meet the devil!

#11 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

does an intersection count? I personally wouldn't try that. I never want to meet the devil!

I would like to point out that Satan was once God's finest angel created by God. What would he look like? An angel, I would imagine. One thing for certain, Satan cannot do anything without God's permission.

#12 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

This sounds really like a superstition to me. Maybe if it's been around for awhile, it could be referring to a symbolic crossroad in one's life. Like you could choose either way to go....light or darkness.
It was Lucifer actually, Axman. Michael and his crew threw Lucifer and his bunch upon the earth. But you're so right... nothing is done by them without God's permission and always for the good of your soul.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#13 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

Depending on which translation of the Bible you read, Satan and Lucifer are the same in most translations. Lucifer is actually a title that was first applied to the King Nebukanezzer (sp?) of Babylon. Lucifer means "light Bearer", "Morning Star" even "Son of the Morning". The title is naturally applied to Satan. Satan means "adversary" so that is the term generally applied.

"And the great dragon was cast down, the old serpent, he that is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world; he was cast down to the earth, and his angels were cast down with him" --Rev 12:9 RSV

Edited by Axman, 13 January 2008 - 09:32 AM.

#14 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have heard of the crossroad myth or legend and I don't think I'll try. I'm finnished with him and I have no desire to run into satan,lucifer, the devil,old nick or what every tag ya want to put on him.
Thank the Good Lord I'm in his hands and no one can pluck me out.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#15 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

I have heard of the crossroad myth or legend and I don't think I'll try. I'm finnished with him and I have no desire to run into satan,lucifer, the devil,old nick or what every tag ya want to put on him.
Thank the Good Lord I'm in his hands and no one can pluck me out.

You're quite right! Amen!!!

I have spent many years researching and studying the book of Revelation. I like to know my enemy and what makes him tick! It helps me to do battle with him.

Edited by Axman, 13 January 2008 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users