Whaley House

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 faeryprincess

faeryprincess

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

Mr. Belanger, I am impressed with your book and have very much enjoyed reading it. I have been to the Whaley House with my brother and my cousin. We were there in June, 2001. It was around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, shortly before they closed for the day. There were very few people besides ourselves touring the house. When we went upstairs, we saw a few strange occurances.
First of all, I need to mention that the upstairs rooms are closed off. No windows are or can be opened. No tourist can enter any of the rooms, as the doorways are completely closed off with clear plastic or glass, I'm not sure which. Either way, no one can enter them without a key, and no air can get into or out of them unless the glass or plastic partition is opened, and I'm sure that's only after all of the tourists have left.
My cousin, brother and I were the only ones in the upstairs. We looked through all of the rooms quickly, then went back to look again, as all of us felt as though someone, or several someones, was/were watching us. In one room, there is a very heavy curtain over what I believe is either a closet or a connector to the next room. About 1 or 2 feet from the curtain is a rocking chair with an ostrich feather hat sitting on it. While we were looking in the room, the curtain started moving up and down as though someone were tugging on it. When we raised our cameras to take pictures (hoping to get orbs or ectoplasm or something), the curtain stopped moving. When we lowered the cameras, the curtain would start moving again, as though someone was getting a big kick out of this. Interestingly, the ostrich feathers were not moving. If a draft of air had somehow entered the room heavy enough to move the curtains, wouldn't the feathers be moving as well?
At another point, we were looking in one of the bedrooms, smelled some weird smoky scent, and heard heavy footsteps in the room across the hall. We immediately went to look, but all we could see was a part of the rug was up now, as if someone had tripped.
I started getting scared, as the atmosphere got very tense up there, and whomever was stomping around seemed angry. I wanted to leave, and my brother and cousin came with me. On the way down, my cousin and I both stopped on a step near the top, feeling very shaky and scared. (Later we found out that was about the place where Anna Whaley and her children had been held at gunpoint while their house was being robbed.)
When we reached the bottom, my cousin turned around to take a picture of the upstairs, and his camera wouldn't work. His camera had been working fine all the rest of the trip, it just wouldn't work then. My brother pointed his camera up the stairs and it took a picture.
We left right after, as I was feeling really drained and shaky. When we developed the pictures, all of us had something interesting in a few of the shots. The picture my brother took up the stairs showed an outline of a man. (Keep in mind there was NO ONE up there when we were up there.) A picture I took in the kitched showed a bluebell-colored orb and what looked like a floating nightshirt through which some objects could be seen. My cousin had several pictures of orbs in various rooms. All of us had pictures of a weird, misty substance near the arch in the ceiling between the parlor and the next room.
We have been to many haunted places since--Salem, MA; Jamestown, VA; Williamsburg, VA; Yorktown, VA; New Hope, PA; New York City; Staten Island, NY; the Queen Mary; La Purisima Concepion (in CA), etc.--but at the Whaley House we took the best pictures of supernatural phenomena. It seemed like those ghosts either wanted to show up on camera, for the most part, or the atmosphere there is very conducive to capturing those images on film.
Thank you very much for including the Whaley House in your book! I look forward to reading any other books you write in the future!

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:00 AM

Posted Image

that is an impressive encounter!
Posted Image

#3 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

Thank you, faeryprincess. I think it's great that you visit so many haunted locations. They certainly have a lot to tell us!

We'd love to see your Whaley photo if you'd care to post it.

-Jeff
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#4 PhenomInvestigator

PhenomInvestigator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Much of the phenomena reported here has been experienced many times over the past 40 years and is well-documented in the haunting history of Whaley House. The footsteps heard were likely those we attribute to Yankee Jim Robinson, especially if they had a characteristic sound of heavy boot foot falls. Phenomena often seems to stop and start in what appears to be direct relation to visitors' attempts to photograph it. And your experience on the steps is likewise very familiar. I would like to second an interest in seeing the images you captured.
Anomalous Phenomena is Unexplained not ImpossiblePsi is Subtle not AbsoluteAnything is possible, it's all a matter of Probability---------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users