• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#31 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hey anyone have a heads up on the next show?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#32 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hey anyone have a heads up on the next show?

I saw the previews, its available here
This poster also has last weeks episodes.

Edited by Amylew, 13 December 2007 - 07:58 PM.

There is nothing left to say.Me

#33 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks SweetE. I didn't even know the channel :ghost:
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#34 RON3002

RON3002

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:39 AM

saw last nights episode,from what I could tell,sounds like there may be more of this "personal" demon to come :P would like to see them do an investigation like the 1 on their first episode with the little boy,and less investigations ,with this demon.
RON

#35 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

i agree w/ Ron. I liked the first investigation w/ the little boy. Last night's investigation just seemed scripted to me, esp the first episode. I was getting into the first ep last night and couldn't believe that all the crosses went from being rightside up to upside down. granted we didn't really see it w/ the cameras we just saw it after we heard the screaming when the group was outside discussing something, so it's still questionable. Then it went from being somewhat believable to scripted b/c when the father became "possessed" it didn't really look real to me. I've seen possessions before and this just didn't look right. maybe it's just me

i also don't like how they seem to skip so much info during the investigation and all we see is the dead time stuff which is neat but i want to learn more about the house/people etc and try to debunk things first and then watch them do the dead time investigation.

i'm goign to watch a few more episodes and hopefully in those eps it won't be about the demon and it will be about helping the people instead, like the little boy in the first ep.

#36 beccaluvsghostsntexas

beccaluvsghostsntexas

Looking for some frozen butt snowfairies.......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Anything paranormal!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:24 AM

I, personally, am VERY interested in the religious aspects of hauntings....so it is nice to see someone taking demons as seriously as they need to be taken. I can't understand people in the paranormal field that want to think that EVERYTHING is a ghost & don't open their minds up to the possibility of other "entities" exsisting. It's nice to see a show that isn't afraid to include that in their shows.

I would really like to see this show stretched to a 1 hour program instead of 2 30 minute programs, and maybe it will if it gets the viewership that it needs. It's nice to see a new show with some new aspects instead of the same old stuff that we have been seeing for the past couple of years.....keep it up PRS...to me, you're doing a great job!!!

CONGRATS! :(
It's just Becca Posted Image

#37 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

I still have it set to tape on my DVR but it has a touch of a lot of things I find ruin most shows about ghosts and spirits for me. I am hoping the show evolves into something with a little less canned drama and background mood music. I would also like to see more of peoples real reactions to things instead of recreations or dramatised versions.

#38 moonlight princess

moonlight princess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:music, (numetal, rock) wicca, my son

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

I have watched most of the first episodes and my overall opinion is thumbs down. Its hard for me to take this group seriously, as previous posters said, when they are focusing so much on demons. Also, maybe this is because I am 33, but its hard for me to take a bunch of college kids seriously as a paranormal investigative group. I do think the cases were interesting, and I do also like the background information they added. But I also think a lot of it is just tacky and cheesy, and its seems like it was scripted and some of it made up for TV. I just can't take this group seriously after watching the first few episodes. The most enjoyment I got was listening to some of the families talk about their experiences, which most of them were believable. The episode with the demon in the trailer and the crosses turning upside down, was a little far fetched for me, it seemed to me like that family especially the mother, has some mental health issues and some of that stuff was made up. I like TAPS Ghost Hunters better, I think they are more professional, and look at it from a more scientific point of view, rather than bringing religion into the mix. Although, I do agree with some previous posters also, TAPS is beginning to get a little boring.

#39 amymyers1973

amymyers1973

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Member of the Small Town Ghosts investigation team.
    Metaphysics, New Age, Occult, Religion, Mythology, Psychology, Science. Literature, Movies, Music, Beads, Tribal Style Belly Dancing.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

Well that seems to be the trendy topic in paranormal TV shows. Look at "A Haunting" on Discovery Channel. It's all demons and possessions. So it's the same with "Paranormal State." Whoop-di-f-ing-doo. Frankly, this just caters most people's fears that the paranormal is evil.

After dealing with an investigation in which the homeowners went through a religious conversion, invited us back to the house to check if the ghosts were gone after they prayed the ghosts out of the house, and talked to us about demons and deception from the devil, this whole subject of evil angers me.

Don't you think this continued media association of the paranormal with evil will damage the field of paranormal investigation? On these TV shows, are the investigators collecting real evidence? Or are they making entertainment? How does the editing process change the perspective on the subject? In print and broadcast media, it all comes down to editing. Producers and editors have agendas. Unfortunately, most often that agenda is to discredit people or sensationalize paranormal events.

Amy
Don't you know yet? Fling the emptiness out of your arms into the spaces we breathe. Perhaps the birds will feel the expanded air with more passionate flying. - Rainer Maria Rilke, "First Elegy" from The Duino Elegies. Trans. Stephen Mitchell

#40 amymyers1973

amymyers1973

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Member of the Small Town Ghosts investigation team.
    Metaphysics, New Age, Occult, Religion, Mythology, Psychology, Science. Literature, Movies, Music, Beads, Tribal Style Belly Dancing.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

Tonight after seeing the episode about the young man who committed suicide, I must congratulate the team for doing something sensible . . . they referred the mother to a grief counselor.

Kudos to them for helping her to take care of her grief issues.

Sometimes a team has to know the limits of the help they can offer and refer their clients to professionals. Our team has done that on a previous investigation.

If I could edit my last post, I would like to clarify my criticism isn't specifially aimed at the people on the Penn State Paranormal team. Hey, I never met them, so I can't judge them. It's the network.

It's the whole media cesspool I'm angry about.

*wishes the writers strike was over*
Don't you know yet? Fling the emptiness out of your arms into the spaces we breathe. Perhaps the birds will feel the expanded air with more passionate flying. - Rainer Maria Rilke, "First Elegy" from The Duino Elegies. Trans. Stephen Mitchell

#41 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:26 PM

After watching this goofy exorcism and all of the attention on fictional characters such as demons, I think this show is a more "real" copy of "A Haunting." It is playing on people's fears which is why they claim "demons" so often. It is a haunting dummied down in my opinion. I am sure that the people that like to be "frightened" by scary stories will love this show. It is a fun entertainment medium for people but nothing to be taken seriously in my opinion. Fans of the show, don't get angry, it is only my opinion and nothing more.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#42 Cynthiab

Cynthiab

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hey, I'm new here! Was looking for a place to discuss paranormal TV and found you guys. I'm really split on Paranormal State. I keep watching but there are times when I feel like they go overboard to make it dramatic and spooky. I'd prefer to see a realistic view of what happens on these investigations, even if it turns out to be nothing.

On the Insider blog, the case logs have a great story about the episode with the exorcism. Pat, the family friend, had everyone terrified with here carrying on. There was a knock on the door and she's screaming at Ryan not to answer because it's the demon trying to get in. Turns out it was a production assistant giving something to the camera man.

I would have loved seeing that on the show. Don't try to hide the fact that it's a TV show, involve me in it!

#43 mikemgmve

mikemgmve

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

I've only seen the first two eps, as December turned into a crazy month, but plan on catching up on the rest this weekend.

I liked the show, but at the same time, it felt very scripted, and badly acted. I mean with Ghost Hunters, when they have their scripted moments, at least it's sooooo thinly veiled as a dramatization/re-enactment that its almost humorous, but with this show, they seem to be taking themselves waaaaay too seriously.

I'll still watch it, because it does have a more realistic approach which I appreciate. I can't watch shows like "A Haunting" where it's all bad re-enactments or "Most Haunted" where they choose to film themselves screaming and reacting to things as opposed to anything going on around them at all. I guess that's why I appreciate "Ghost Hunters" the most, while it has its moments of questionability and bad acting, they seemed to have nixed most of it to provide the viewers with suspense surrounding actual footage and experiences.

#44 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

I just watched the episode from Monday and have to say I loved it. Very heartwarming.

#45 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

I've caught a couple of episodes and I am beginning to think that they are going to focus on "demons" and seances. I really don't like the term "demon", I prefer "malevolent spirit" as a term. If there are true demons I think they are fallen angels who follow Lucifer. I am a Christian so I feel that's what demons most likely are. Spirits of evil people can be very evil acting spirits and can become quite malevolent. So why not just very bad spirits? The show also seems to go in without try to find the mundane reasons behind certain experiences. They want a scare factor.

Edited by Axman, 05 January 2008 - 05:05 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users