• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

Also - what answer would you give a client, given the chance to investigate a place at their request, and you only get one night to do it? If they ask, "Do you think this place is haunted?" and you've recorded no evidence. Would you say, "It's definitely haunted! Sorry I don't have any proof to back it up, but I'll just take your word for all the occurrences that took place in the past!" That kind of defeats the purpose of bringing in investigators, does it not?

Or, would you explain that while you've gathered no evidence to support the claims of paranormal activity in the location, you aren't saying the place isn't haunted, but you also have failed to record anything to prove it is haunted. Then, to help buffer the possibly agitated response of the client, explain that these things don't work on command, and it's very possible that activity may occur at the location, but it just didn't happen while your team was on the scene.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

It's a television show. Just a tv show. It's geared towards the general viewing public. They actually ARE professional investigators as I understand it, and the group does investigations outside of the show that are never mentioned/shown and have been around much longer than the show. The drama et all? Television Show. Ratings. Entertaining general viewing public.

In other words, relax. It's just TV. Period. That one hour show is just that. A Television Show.

Not sure exactly what kind of criteria you expect to become a part of the TAPS network, I've never gone and looked it up myself. But given that the entire paranormal field is 'amature', I doubt anyone is looking for PhDs and restricting members/groups to those with a million years in the field, after all, if that were the case a great number of people would be excluded from entering.

Do they act and conduct like they are pro's? Sometimes. If Taps would solely investigate the paranormal and leave the Payton Place behind them, I, in my opinion, the ratings would be a higher and more valuable to watch the series than it is now. For example, I don't want to hear about the trouble life that Brian had with his girlfriend and all of his family issues. I want to see an investigation on the paranormal. Please leave the reality part behind. We have enough shows of that crap already. I would like to see more documentation on the study of the paranormal from them. The best part of the show is the analysis at the end. Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#33 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

Also - what answer would you give a client, given the chance to investigate a place at their request, and you only get one night to do it? If they ask, "Do you think this place is haunted?" and you've recorded no evidence. Would you say, "It's definitely haunted! Sorry I don't have any proof to back it up, but I'll just take your word for all the occurrences that took place in the past!" That kind of defeats the purpose of bringing in investigators, does it not?

Or, would you explain that while you've gathered no evidence to support the claims of paranormal activity in the location, you aren't saying the place isn't haunted, but you also have failed to record anything to prove it is haunted. Then, to help buffer the possibly agitated response of the client, explain that these things don't work on command, and it's very possible that activity may occur at the location, but it just didn't happen while your team was on the scene.

Sometimes when they gather no evidence on that one visit, they will say that this place is not haunted. I have been doing this for quite sometime and sometimes it will take 3 or 4 investigations to gather any evidence of a structure being haunted. The spirits have feelings and thoughts to. If they don't want to come out and show themselves to you, then they won't. And if this building or home has a risidual haunting it will only happend on certain dates. That is the explanation that you have to tell the owner after your investigation. You just can't tell them that this place is not haunted. Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#34 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

I hear ya on that on Vamp, and that's sad, because it seems that they would rather play more on the drama business than the actual investigation itself, and that really bothers me because they are portraying themselves as professional investigators with all this drama. It also seems that they keep on explaining the same things over and over again...like EVP....I understand if you're new to the show but how many times within one season do they have to keep explaining it. I would like to see more documented terms and questions such as what is the difference between a spirit and a ghost, what is ecto, are most orbs environmental and so forth. I think that Sci-fi originally had this planned for a possible learning process with entertainment value, but in my opinion it's turning out to be a joke. I've looked at there website and found it to be very rude and not moderated at all well, it seems that anyone can join to be a sister team. Truthfully, I have much more respect for that new show on A&E. I know that every group has there own way of investigating, but TAPS just blows my mind...especially when they whisper while recording for EVPs. But back to what Dave was saying how can they base the recording of the footsteps as a residual haunting when it seemed to respond when Grant mentioned he was from the North....wouldn't that be an intelligent haunting? Dave and I were also discussing if there's such thing's as residual hauntings...is there or could there be a residual EVP? Julie

Portraying is the key word. Dave

#35 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

I'm not going to go through DVD's here and watch the last 5 minutes of every episode, so tell me what episode(s) they say a place is "not" haunted. In those exact words. Where they leave out the part about it being their opinions, or based off of what they got in their time there, and it just says "This place is not haunted" to the client. I know they have their own conversations in the vehicles after an investigation, where they may say things like that, which makes it their own personal opinions.. Are they not okay to have those? Not to mention, and I know this may be hard to believe, there just might be places out there lacking paranormal activity.. Crazy thought, I know.

And what is this "residual hauntings" stuff? Um, residual hauntings only occur on set dates? Please, explain whom you're in contact with on the other side that you know that information for sure?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

I like to watch TAPS and enjoy it.
SOOOOO what if they do certain things a certain way that is their prerogative is their show. If I don't like it I have a remote. I'm really tired off the bashing they get. The old saying is if you can't say any thing nice don't say it. Be thankful that There is a paranormal show that is on tv for the !st time in history. I don't mind healthy critiziem,other is useless. What if the tables were turned and it was your team on tv, how would ppl rate you?
Also people who get paid for what they do are considerd professionals.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#37 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm not going to go through DVD's here and watch the last 5 minutes of every episode, so tell me what episode(s) they say a place is "not" haunted. In those exact words. Where they leave out the part about it being their opinions, or based off of what they got in their time there, and it just says "This place is not haunted" to the client. I know they have their own conversations in the vehicles after an investigation, where they may say things like that, which makes it their own personal opinions.. Are they not okay to have those? Not to mention, and I know this may be hard to believe, there just might be places out there lacking paranormal activity.. Crazy thought, I know.

And what is this "residual hauntings" stuff? Um, residual hauntings only occur on set dates? Please, explain whom you're in contact with on the other side that you know that information for sure?

A Residual haunting is thought by some to be a replayed haunting in which no intelligent ghost, spirit, or other entity is directly involved. Much like a video tape, residual hauntings are playbacks of auditory, visual, olfactory, and other sensory phenomenon which are attributed to a traumatic event, life-altering event, or a common event of a person or place, like an echo of past events.

Residual hauntings often center on moments of intense emotion: someone's beheading, a great battle, a murder, or even a celebration. Paranormal researchers theorize that residual hauntings are the result of discharged personal energy of a person or group of people being imprinted on the surrounding environment, most commonly at or just after death.

One of the first to promulgate the hypothesis of residual haunting was Thomas Charles Lethbridge in books such as Ghost and Ghoul, written in 1961.[1] The subject was explored in Peter Sasdy's 1972 television play The Stone Tape, written by Nigel Kneale. The popularity of the programme has led to residual haunting becoming known colloquially as the Stone Tape theory.

Now I'm not saying that this is 100% correct, because we will actually never really truly know. It's great that you pay to the attention to last 5 minutes when they are in vehicle contemplating their expressive thoughts on what or why the structure that just investigated could have been haunted or not and what kind of haunting that they think it might have been. BUT now I will not go through the DVD's either, because I don't have the time to do this, but because I watch more than the last 5 minutes of them sitting in the SUV when giving the analysis to owner of the sight, YES, I have seen them say "We have not detected any paranormal activity here." In TAPS defense though, I have also seen them say, "that they thought what appeared to be a haunting, but they were able to go back and recreate it." And Yes, you are right as crazy as it may seem there are some places just are not haunted and could all be made up for publicity reasons or all in a persons head, I agree with you 100% there. But you still cannot base that off of just one investigation or just off of history alone. *This is Julie, under Dave's username.

#38 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

Then what exactly do YOU want them to say at each reveal? You and Dave are the only ones complaining, so let's try channelling it into something slightly more productive.

I can also dig up the correct email/snail mail address so that suggestions can be directed to the correct source at SciFi and the production company, because let's face it, I seriously doubt they're reading every thread about TAPS and Ghost Hunters online.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#39 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

I like to watch TAPS and enjoy it.
SOOOOO what if they do certain things a certain way that is their prerogative is their show. If I don't like it I have a remote. I'm really tired off the bashing they get. The old saying is if you can't say any thing nice don't say it. Be thankful that There is a paranormal show that is on tv for the !st time in history. I don't mind healthy critiziem,other is useless. What if the tables were turned and it was your team on tv, how would ppl rate you?
Also people who get paid for what they do are considerd professionals.

Scariest Places on Earth and Fear came first before Ghost Hunters. I am also thankful for my remote because it works perfectly sometimes when I want to change the channel. Awesome! Dave

#40 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

And both shows were faked out the wazoo.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#41 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

Then what exactly do YOU want them to say at each reveal? You and Dave are the only ones complaining, so let's try channelling it into something slightly more productive.

I can also dig up the correct email/snail mail address so that suggestions can be directed to the correct source at SciFi and the production company, because let's face it, I seriously doubt they're reading every thread about TAPS and Ghost Hunters online.

Can we not express our opinions anymore here Vamp? Isn't this site for open discussion? That is what we are doing. Sorry we don't agree with you. Dave

#42 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yes, you can indeed express your opinions. But my question still stands, since clearly it's something that bothers you about the show. What would you like to see them say? What would you do if it were your show.

And I suggested the contact information because while you're the only ones in this thread expressing it, I'm sure others out there are as well, and like I said, it'll never get to the 'right people'

I'm sorry I can't clearly express my thoughts.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#43 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

*This is Julie again...
I do agree with you, Vamp, it is very hard and frustrating...Dave and I have actually been in contact with Donna Lacrouix from TAPS, heck she's the one who hosted our picture on The Maury show. One of the reason why I get so hot headed about the show, is because I know so many others are watching them. I get asked in the grocery store "does stuff like that really occur?", "Do you really need all that equipment for a hunt?", "I couldn't imagine what it would cost?" I don't mind putting rumours to rest or explaing anything, but when some things are taken out of context with the show, it's very frustarting...for example the Mansfield Reformatory. Sorry to cut this short, but I told Dave I would post up an EVP before Dave got back! Julie

#44 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

But I don't think TAPS is responsible for how people who have next to no knowledge of the realities of Paranormal Investigations and are too lazy to look it up for themselves interperate things. Anymore than you would be if you or I had a show or an opportunity to present to the general public.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#45 damckie

damckie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Then why do the show in the first place, for money, popularity? I would never sink myself that low, I have much more respect for myself and take the paranormal realm very seriously...I would never take on an oppurtunity to make a mockery out of the paranormal. Julie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users