Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Terry Schiavo

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FloridaLizardQueen_*

Guest_FloridaLizardQueen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:07 AM

Has anyone heard about this case? It's about a Pinellas county woman who collapsed and fell into a coma for unknown reasons. She came out of it a few weeks later, but unable to speak or walk on her own. Her husband has been involved in a fight with her parents about whether or not to let her go. I feel that Terri's parents are stealing away her dignity. I believe that someone should not be denied the right to die. Our governer, Jeb Bush has stepped in and given orders on what should be done about Terri's situation. Please read the article from the link below and let me know what you all think.

http://www.worldnetd...RTICLE_ID=35145

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:26 AM

I've heard of the case and I think the husband lost his rights to make any say about her life as he and his girlfriend are only waiting for her to die to get on with their lives. If she dies he is entitled to insurance funds and can marry his new love. He has too much at sake to allow her to die to be considered as looking out for her best interest. I think her family would have been much better about it if that was not the case but I would not want someone letting my child die because he or she became a nuisance to their spouse.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

How do we know the lady wants to die?
Just because her husband says so?
Was there ever a written will?
This is something we should all have done or we too could end up like this some day.
We don't have a right to terminate her life because of a talk she supposedly had with her husband a long time ago.
There have been alot of people who have changed their minds about death when they are faced with it.
we have no idea how she feels and if her family is willing to take care of her what is the mans problem.
He has obviously gone on with his life.
Is he looking for some insurance money is that what this is about?
Beleive it or not I know alot of people through work that I do that have chosen to live even though they are bed ridden and have to be looked after 24-7 .
We just can't end a persons life without their permission.
Reminds me of the monty python movie the holy grail.They bring out their dead during the plague and their not quite dead yet but dead enough for the family.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#4 Guest_FloridaLizardQueen_*

• Guests

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

bardo, I understand your point of view there. I just pray that the right decision will finally be made and that if she remains on the feeding tube and other life support that she will make a recovery to the point where she will be almost totally lucid again.

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

The woman is breathing, is responding to the people around her, even if she is unable to speak.

So, she is very much alive.

And to pull the feeding tube from her is in my mind next door to murder.

But just one thing....the date on the article is Oct 17, 2003. Over a year ago. Is that just an error or what is going on?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:59 AM

Vamp,

This is still going on, its been a number of years. I think her husband run the last round of appeals but her family is still fighting it.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 Guest_FloridaLizardQueen_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

What my question now is, why get the governer involved in something very personal? I guess both sides have connections . . .

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:37 PM

Likely because of the question of whether or not she actually 'qualifies' as living or clinically dead.

Husband says she's clinically dead, family says she's alive and responding, although unable to actually speak (in otherwords, there's a soul or life in the eyes). I don't recall reading that the doctors actually consider her brain dead (which qualifies as clinically dead as far as I can remember).

So bringing the Governor into the situation kinda makes sense to me. Because basically the husband wants to pull her plug, which if she is still alive, is murder in a way.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:37 PM

Simple Liz:

The Bushes mandate everything else why not this....Sorry, I have gotten cynical......
Posted Image

#10 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:43 PM

Terri is in a persistent vegetative state (PVS) based on the opinions of two doctors, one who treated her and one who consulted on the case. This diagnoses was--and remains-- disputed by Terri's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler. Indeed, subsequent to Pearse's report, the Schindlers energetically attempted to garner evidence that she is conscious. To some degree, they have succeeded: Four board certified neurologists, two board certified internists, one neuro-psychologist, and two speech pathologists have testified in person or by affidavit that Terri is not PVS. These opinions were reinforced by the affidavits of three nurses who cared for Terri in the mid-1990s and who claim to have observed her being interactive. Moreover, millions have viewed videos of Terri and been shocked by the extent to which she appears to aware and awake. (The courts have ruled consistently that Terri is PVS.) This was written by Wesley J. Smith....
Posted Image

#11 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

From the news report i saw a while back she looked awake and some what interactive even though she can't talk.
I have a friend who had a severe accident and the doctors advized she may never come around again.
she did and it was because of the her children her husband decided to stick it out .
she never wanted to be on life support so he almost had the plug pulled.
well it has been a long road and she may never be the same but she can walk with a walker now and she goes to the childrens sports events.
she can laugh and she even goes to the grocery store.
She needs help with everything but she has come along way from being a person who needs to be taken off life support.
Her husband does'nt quite have the person he married but his children are happy they have a mom and they are gald she's alive so are her parents.
We marry our partners and we vow to be with them in sickness and in health.
that poor women married a very selfish man and I 'm not sure how old his children are but I'm sure they will suffer from their fathers selfishness some day.
If one of his children gets sick how will he handle that?
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#12 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:53 AM

*Bumping this up*

Latest news...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday rejected an appeal by the parents of Terri Schiavo to have their severely brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube reinserted.

The court, without comment, refused to intervene after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals twice Wednesday turned down a plea from the parents, Bob and Mary Schindler.

http://www.cnn.com/2...iavo/index.html
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,882 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

Someone was telling about this earlier today........ It is a shame on her parents part to make their daughter suffer!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#14 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:16 PM

This is such a tragic situation - no one wins. Living wills are so important!
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#15 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

Has anyone heard about this case? It's about a Pinellas county woman who collapsed and fell into a coma for unknown reasons.

The reason isn't unknown. She was a bulemic and had lack of potassium causing heart failure.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users