109 replies to this topic

#16 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well Last year I planted new shrubs along my deck out back (4 real nice ones) and I have a miniture rose bush I had to cut back also but well my old neighbors cats took it upon themselves to spray all my new bushes they are now brown! One survived... I will have to dig up the other 3 and replant them... But Im hoping my roses come back nice.. I cut it way back this year at the end of the season..
Other then that Im pritty limited living in a town house condo.
Cathy

(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#17 ziggleart

ziggleart

Fairly CLUELSS but eager and willing to learn

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Art, travel, fine dining & good wine, historic preservation and restoration, QT with the hubby & kitties and<br>Single Malt Scotch<br>Oh and of couse the paranormal.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

That's ok Cathy you can come dig up my yard til your hearts content. I have nothing but any old pear tree that bears rotten fruit. :blink: Oh and wine grapes. go figure
TRICIA

#18 amyo0o0

amyo0o0

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:12 PM

Bridget, I am jealous! I can't grow anything....Nothing. Even my fake plants wilt up and die it seems.

#19 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:39 PM

OH Bridget your garden is lovely.
I have a huge yard of nothing and have no idea what to do, where to do it or even how to start. :wacko:

Any gardeners fell like a trip up to Connecticut? :)

Ziggles, start out with a small area. Just dig it up, edge it and start with some annuals and a perennial or two. That's how I got started at my old house as a newbie. Eventually it grew into a great big garden!

This is a picture of my pond at my old house. It started out as a hole in the ground, and every year I added a little more!

I miss my pond :huh:

Posted Image
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#20 ziggleart

ziggleart

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Art, travel, fine dining & good wine, historic preservation and restoration, QT with the hubby & kitties and<br>Single Malt Scotch<br>Oh and of couse the paranormal.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

Oh bridget love the pond too. That's a great idea, funny I have no problem ripping the inside of my old house apart but when it comes to the yard i just stare out with visions of an english/feng shi master piece that never goes beyond digging up weeds. We've been here for three yrs and every year i say the same thing this year is the one but now you have imspired me to dig up my yard. When the hubby freaks out can i tell him it was your idea :) :) :) :)
TRICIA

#21 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

Ziggles, just make sure you start with a small area so as to not become overwhelmed. Double dig the soil and by hand go in and pull out all the weeds, grass, etc because this stuff will ALWAYS come back. Then, don't use any of that store bought edging stuff. Take a square shovel and dig out the edges at an angle. I guarantee if you use edging, the grass and everything will grow right through it and make a big mess!

ANd then heavily mulch the area after you have planted. Maybe Axman will have some good advice!

We want to see your work in progress, too! But we may have to wait til the snow melts...
:)

:) :) :) :)
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#22 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:44 PM

I do have a question.  The main drainpipe for the roof drains right into a little corner between the aforementioned box and the porch stairs of the attached house.  That little section gets A LOT of water.  What would grow there?  It's very shaded as well.

Besides toadstools and moss, Asparagus Ferns thrive well with plenty of water. They make a terrific foliage plant for a pot or planter too. They will survive without water for several days too. they also do well in shade and don't die easily.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#23 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

Oh bridget love the pond too.  That's a great idea, funny I have no problem ripping the inside of my old house apart but when it comes to the yard i just stare out with visions of an english/feng shi master piece that never goes beyond digging up weeds.  We've been here for three yrs and every year i say the same thing this year is the one but now you have imspired me to dig up my yard.  When the hubby freaks out can i tell him it was your idea :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I've done landscaping in Michigan which is a similar climate to yours. I currently live in AZ but will have to try to remember what looks good in the seasonal climates. Do you have any ideas of what you are looking to do for plant types?

For instance if you want a privacy hedge and like flowers, I'd recommend lilacs.

Oleanders make good foundation bushes but I don't think they grow in cold areas.

Evergreen shrubs are a nice pick, Junipers thrive well but need occasional trimming.

Honeysuckles look great and can be staked to grow above the ground but work well as a ground cover.

These are good foundation plants that can be highlighted with just about any kind of flowering plant or foliage.

I mostly deal with desert plants here but can find just about anything that looks nice. Hmm, if you lived in the desert I could see palm trees and Yuccas!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#24 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

Snoopymom, where do you live? As I mentioned before, Lilacs, they grow sturdy and should handle a little bit of child's play.

#25 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

Hey all, it helps to know what zone you're in too.

#26 ziggleart

ziggleart

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Bridget and Axman, i will take some pictures as soon as the snow melts of before, during and after. I'll have to figure out what look i'm after but one thing i do want is to camouflage the hideous chain link fence that seperates us from one of our nieghbors.

One plant i'm really fond of is hostus, we do have some in the yard and it appears to require little maintanence. (It's one of the few I haven't killed yet). Open to ideas and i'll keep you posted on my progress. :blink:
TRICIA

#27 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

The neatest thing for a kids garden is useing scarett runners (bean) and get some bamboo polls or anythings else sturdy and make a teepee. take the polls shape them like a teepee and secure them at the top then plant the beans at the base of each poll the beans clime the poll and it make a really cool hide out for the kids..

Mel, I would love to have a space like yours I would be in heaven.

Brig, ponds are another love of mine.... I miss my yard
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#28 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

Secret,

I love that idea might use it with my kids.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#29 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

Nothing in the world like a Maryland Tomato off the vine . I grow many things . Even Oregano ;) ( Camille and Bobnoxious ) :P

I grow herbs and veggies mostly . I leave the flowers to SpiritsOfMd and she does a beautiful job too I must say . :P

Rockhauler2k1

I love the spring :lol:
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#30 snoopymom

snoopymom

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

Axman - I am in Michigan. Would lilacs grow well here? I love lilacs!

Keep the ideas coming we have almost 2 acres we can play with.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users