Zoom H2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

I bought a Zoom H2 last March. I have experimented with it three times, and I have to say that I am glad I invested in it. I am currently reviewing our first controlled multi-hour session and I am so thrilled at the stereo capabilities.

I will post some thoughts after I am done with this last recording and try to figure out the best file sharing areas to put some samples on. I am pretty happy with what I am listening to right now, though.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#2 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

I know... I have 2 right now and I love them...

I do have something weird happening though... I've had one that stops and starts automatically... I just did an investigation last weekend and let the recorder run for almost 4 hours (16 gig memory card), and there are 3 files on it... My other one hasn't done this...

I keep watching craigslist like a hawk to see when people post them and try to snatch them up...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#3 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

Dave, you might try www.soundcloud.com. They let you post large files so you can post the original uncompressed .wav's and not lose any sound quality.

Joven, sounds like your recording is hitting the 2gb file size limit. The H2 still uses FAT16 file system (I think it's 16, might be 32 whichever cannot address more than 2gb, I can't remember). It will stop an active recording and restart a fresh one. It was supposed to be a "seamless" transition, but sometimes a noticeable chunk of audio is missing. If you ugrade to the latest firmware (1.81, available here: http://www.zoom.co.j...oftware/h2.php) it should cut down the time it takes to stop/start new file automatically and make it more "seamless".

regards
Andy
Posted Image

#4 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Andy... I didn't even think about that, and that looks to be exactly what's happening...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#5 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

Anybody buy the H1 yet? Looks great!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#6 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

I know, I love how all major functions are hardwired to switches, etc... No more menu surfing. I know a guy on another forum that ordered one several weeks ago and says it should be delivered any time. I am thinking about running one into my DCR-SR65 (via active interface adapter) to eliminate the annoying hard drive clicks. I can't wait to see people's reviews of the h1.

regards
Andy
Posted Image

#7 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Only problem I am having with it is updating the firmware. For some reason I can't get it to load per the instructions. Time to call customer support.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#8 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

Thats not good. Thats why I fear doing those things!!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#9 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

The recordings have been phenomenal, although the record levels are a bit low for my liking (presumably because the unit is designed for recording live music so the levels won't sound blown out on replay). Also, it save all microphone channels in their own files, which was a little bit of a learning curve, but using cool edit I was able to load the four channels and the stereo capabilities are awesome.

#10 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

The recordings have been phenomenal, although the record levels are a bit low for my liking (presumably because the unit is designed for recording live music so the levels won't sound blown out on replay). Also, it save all microphone channels in their own files, which was a little bit of a learning curve, but using cool edit I was able to load the four channels and the stereo capabilities are awesome.

Are you running at full 127db rec. level? I run that and sometimes the audio is a little too hot and overloads the mic's. Gotta admit, the h2 is still a workhorse that does a very good job.

Andy
Posted Image

#11 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

I agree, it was blowing out all the audio at that level...may be good for a spot with no background noise at all ( a car passing sounded like a 747 landing). I have an external amplifier which I will try through the input line. That may do the trick.

I agree, it was blowing out all the audio at that level...may be good for a spot with no background noise at all ( a car passing sounded like a 747 landing). I have an external amplifier which I will try through the input line. That may do the trick.

#12 Mak_Burse

Mak_Burse

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

Whats the difference,I thought Zoom was Zoom duh?

dick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users