Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Vatican Updates "Sins"

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

Vatican updates its thou-shalt-not list

VATICAN CITY - In olden days, the deadly sins included lust, gluttony and greed. Now, the Catholic Church says pollution, mind-damaging drugs and genetic experiments are on its updated thou-shalt-not list. Also receiving fresh attention by the Vatican was social injustice, along the lines of the age-old maxim: "The rich get richer while the poor get poorer."

In the Vatican's latest update on how God's law is being violated in today's world, Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, the head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, was asked by the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano what, in his opinion, are the "new sins."

He cited "violations of the basic rights of human nature" through genetic manipulation, drugs that "weaken the mind and cloud intelligence," and the imbalance between the rich and the poor.

"If yesterday sin had a rather individualistic dimension, today it has a weight, a resonance, that's especially social, rather than individual," said Girotti, whose office deals with matters of conscience and grants absolution.

It's not the first time that the Vatican has sought to put a modern spin on sin. Last year, the Vatican took on the problem of highway accidents, issuing a kind of "Ten Commandments" for drivers against the sins of road rage, alcohol abuse and even rudeness behind the wheel.

Vatican officials, however, stressed that Girotti's comments broke no new ground on what constitutes sin.

Rest of Story
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#2 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

I read a similar article on one of the major news providers. I thought it was interesting that contraception was right next to murder on the list.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#3 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I haven't read the article yet, and only caught a snippet on the news. I just have to say the confirms to me why the Church is so behind the times on so many things. My B-I-L has Diabetes, he is only 38, stem cell research would help him. Why on earth would they be again research that saves lives?

How could contraception be akin to murder? If contraception prevents life from beginning, then there is no murder. Could it be that their numbers are dwindling so rapidly that this is almost a "last ditch" effort to increase membership and indoctrination as more people move towards spiritualism?

This is just my opinion and I do not mean to offend anyone who is Catholic. I accept everyone's right to believe as they choose just as I know you respect my right to believe as I choose.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#4 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Who died and made them God??
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#5 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

:wub:
There is nothing left to say.Me

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

Dragging up what remains of my Catholic childhood understanding.....

Contraception is a sin because you aren't supposed to prevent pregancy. Of course, for this to work fully, sexual relations are only to be engaged in by adult married couples (male and female). In the view of the Church, sex is only for procreation, to prevent procreation through contraception is a sin. Not followed by all Catholics.

The Church's stance on Stem Cell research is mainly against (as I understand it) the use of embryonic stem cells, obtained from test tube embryos (with the permission of the couple the embryos were created from for in vitro fertilization) and aborted fetuses/embryos. And the Catholic Church isn't the only group against that. But it's fast becoming a moot point with new research in stem cells that do not come from these sources. (Not followed by all Catholics)

And the Vatican has always, for Catholics, been the main source of understanding of the Bible and other holy works. Doesn't mean they're right or wrong. Just how they interperate it, and face it, in the grand scheme of things, their words are mainly for Catholics (and even then, many don't necessarily follow to the letter).

I don't think it so much a last ditch effort as it is one of those rare moments where they attempt to keep up with modern life and modern concerns by relooking at the doctorine and applying it to the world today.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

~As with any religion, it's all in how you interpret (?) things. Just my own opinion.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#8 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

See, this is why I love that quote that one of our posters has by George Orwell. Actually, it could have been my own. It says something like "one cannot be Catholic and grown up at the same time". God gave us a brain to think, reason, and evaluate and decide for ourselves how we stand before our God. The Catholic church, being the first Christian church (before Luther and all the split-offs) has a hard time keeping up with modern life. In my life, "intent" counts for a whole lot. Love one another is all that's important to me.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

I seriously doubt the Catholic Church alone stands befuddled and bewildered by modern secular life.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

I seriously doubt the Catholic Church alone stands befuddled and bewildered by modern secular life.

~You are quite right, Vampchick.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#11 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

This is what has always urked me about Catholicism...obviously not meaning to offend anyone who chooses to follow it.
Posted Image

#12 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

I haven't read the article yet, and only caught a snippet on the news. I just have to say the confirms to me why the Church is so behind the times on so many things. My B-I-L has Diabetes, he is only 38, stem cell research would help him. Why on earth would they be again research that saves lives?

I think it boils down to how those stem cells are obtained. Currently, the bulk of stem cells come from abortions. I am against killing embryos. Now if we obtained more stem cells from umbilical cords or adult sources, that'd be a whole different story.

How could contraception be akin to murder? If contraception prevents life from beginning, then there is no murder.

I'm not against methods which prevent pregnancies, but abortions (including the day after pill) are morally wrong in the majority of cases, imho. Sex is a good recreation between spouses, but they should take responsibility for any pregnancy that occurs.

This is just my opinion and I do not mean to offend anyone who is Catholic. I accept everyone's right to believe as they choose just as I know you respect my right to believe as I choose.

This is a hard line to navigate. The Church doesn't want to change its position so often it appears to be following society. At the same time, it must recognize when society has changed.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#13 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

JESUS died and left the Church in the hands of St. Peter. Catholic tradition holds that the Pope is Peter's successor - that he has the same responsibility to the believers today as did the Apostles during the Apostolic Age.

In fact, the leaders of most Christian sects see themselves as earthly proxies for Jesus. When the Savior returns, they will hand over the reigns.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#14 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

being a child of God and the trintiy lives in me. He have giving me an inner man that is on my case if I do any thing that is sinful. If I can't do something with the confident conviction it is simple don't do it. If it a sumbling block to my brother don't do it. So no I don't need a modren day list updated by man to tell me It is a sin to shoot some on the hwy.
Stem cell, abortions,preventing. I'm sure there is bible for it.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#15 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

In fact, the leaders of most Christian sects see themselves as earthly proxies for Jesus. When the Savior returns, they will hand over the reigns.

No, they won't hand over the reigns because Jesus never lost then to being with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users