Meaning of an omen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lastdimtwilight

lastdimtwilight

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

I am new to the board, and recently had an experience I'm still trying to make heads or tails of. Here it goes...

Last week, while my husband was at work, and my son on the computer, I was in the living room practicing bass guitar...something I do everyday. In the middle of practicing, I heard a very loud, distinct sound of a music box coming from the dining room. It played for just a few seconds, like three or four, then stopped again. This startled me, to say the least. I was going to ignore it, but I had a creepy feeling, so I peered in the computer room and asked my son if he had heard it too. He said no, so I put up the bass and went into the dining room to investigate. I have some Noah's Ark things on a shelf in the dining room...all gifts from family, mostly my dad. I was not aware that one of the figurines was a music box; however, when I turned it over, I discovered that it was indeed a music box. I was really surprised. Even more strange, was when I wound it up to listen to it, to see what song it played; the song turned out to be a few bars of the Over the Waves Waltz...a song I was supposed to have played at a piano recital more than 15 years ago. (I ended up moving to a new town before the recital.)

Anyway, I thought this was really strange. I know there is supposed to be an omen related to a music box playing by itself, but I can't find any information on it. If anyone knows what this is supposed to mean, please let me know.      

#2 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

As a fellow musician (and oddly enough...a TUBA player) let me play Skeptic's Advocate for a moment. Is it possible that the bass notes MIGHT have vibrated the music box just enought to get a few bars out? Have you asked anyone else in the house if they knew the piece was a music box, or if they had been listening to it perhaps? Please let us know. Oh and...

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#3 lastdimtwilight

lastdimtwilight

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Mykiedave! ;)

I called my mother after it happened, and she knew the ark was a music box... something which kind of surprised me.
I'd taken the ark and set it in the dining room right after it was given to me, never touched it other than dusting it occassionally; and until I listened to the thing a few days ago, I had never heard it play anything. I should say it looks just like a figurine, it's not an actual box shape, nor is it situated on top of a box; and since I have several other arks that look similar to it, I have to admit I never really thought to turn it over, or otherwise check it and see if it was a music box.

As for the bass vibrations setting off the box, I suppose anything is possible, but in this case, it doesn't seem likely. I've been playing bass here (in this house where we currently live)for a little over four years. The box has been here for probably two years, and it's never happened before. The box is on a table shelf in the dining room; and my bass and amps sit on the floor in the den. The house is real-wood panelled and on a concrete slab, so we don't get a lot of vibration from the electronics. We recently put in a dishwasher; the power tools involved in cutting out the cabinets caused more of a rukus, and is closer to the dining room, and none of it set off the music box.  

But aside from that, I am more or less wondering at the significance of the music box playing on its own, rather than if it was caused by anything paranormal--a subject which I am lukewarm about at best. It could be the springs or gears in the music box were giving somewhat after two years...possibly that was what caused the subsequent playing. Or it could have been the internal workings settling, or what have you. Both of those explanations work fine with me.

However, at the time it happened, and I told my son that I heard the music box play by itself, he told me he had heard somewhere that hearing a music box play by itself is an ill omen.  

I would be interested in knowing the specifics on the type of omen--whether good or bad--that it's supposed to signify.        

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:43 AM

Welcome to the wonderful GV world and enjoy the stay lastdimtwilight! ;)

I am not sure about the music box incident though. We can say coincidence, but is there anything tht is coincident? Or is there a reason for everything?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#5 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

yeah moon ....strang though

#6 snoopymom

snoopymom

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

who gave you the music box?  I sometimes find that these things mean I need to contact the person who is closely related to that . . . for example if I hear the song "Two Princes" by the Spin Doctors I need to call one of my friends from the camps I used to work at during the summer.  Be it coincidence or not, the reminder is usually a good one.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#7 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

i used to have some musik boxes as kid that would play by themselves. but i lived in california so i blamed them on to earth shifts. no one ever really knows ecspecaislly with a music box.  ;)
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#8 mnemosyne

mnemosyne

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:03 AM

I had heard before that hearing a music box playing by itself was an omen warning of future illness. Of course, I don't put much stock in that, but that's what I heard about it.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Friedrich Nietzsche

#9 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

I can't find a thing in my sources about Music Boxs. But I will keep on looking.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users