smell of burnt matches

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rtm

rtm

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

just got home from walking the dog, sat@ computer to check email and noticed the smell of burnt matches in the room.
an ex smoker, i know the smell well, but no one else is /has been in the house.
since i was @ computer, i googled (smell of burnt matches) and up popped this site.
seems other peop[le have experienced this phenomenon.
house is circa 1900 (was carriage house b4 that)
who else has experienced this?

#2 801

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to Ghost Village! Was this your first experience in this house? Was the smell local to one area, or did it spread out to different rooms? Any chance it could have been from an old ashtray or anything?
Posted ImageIs that you John Wayne? Is that me? No, I've been smoked by AnnieV!

#3 apachedove

apachedove

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

I'm a smoker, but I don't use matches and I only smoke in certain rooms. The room that I get the smell of burnt matches is my living room, also the smell of cigar smoke, flowers and mens after shave. It doesn't happen all the time, usually twice a month. Like your house mine was built in 1901.

My thoughts and feelings are that these smells come from people who have lived in my house and passed years ago.

#4 Blackviolett

Blackviolett

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Photography (amateur), books, travel, supernatural, paranormal, tattoos, art, piercings, motorbikes

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi there, I also experience randoms smells and can feel a presence in certain places, I have done for years. One of my most common ones is cigar smoke or matches. None of us smoke and in our last home I was plagued by it and my hair used to stand on end and I became petrified to the spot. After posting on many boards and having so many of these experiences, I guessed I have a form of being Clairscentient. Id be interested to read more on the history of your home, can you look any further back? Have you had any other 'feelings' with the smell when it appears?

X
"iT wAs tHE VoICes ThAt MaDE me Do iT OfFicEr"

#5 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

Did you ever smoke in this house or light matches??? Or if other people who used live there smoked, sometimes these smells can permiate furniture and wood... Just a thought...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#6 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

We often have foreign scents come through here. Frither's dad and grandad have their own scents. One comes with the scent of pipe tobacco. I have smelled gardenias...something I haven't smelled live since living in Georgia 8 years ago. I have connected this scent to a lady I used to work with back in the 80's. At times I smell a light powdery scent which I believe is my maternal grandmother. There are several other scents which repeat, but I have not connected them with anyone in particular at this time.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#7 rtm

rtm

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

since my typing skills suck (hunt and peck, two fingers) my answers may be more succinct than i'd like.
we've had many subtle experiences in this house (as well as others)
most are peripheral glimpses of vague human shapes
we feel no negative energy from these entities
they are shy, but active, especially in damp weather.

#8 apachedove

apachedove

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Along with the smells I have seen shadow people and animals, also a woman in white in victorian dress inside and outside.

Many times I have thought one of my kids walked up behind me but no one has been there. I have heard my name said or whispering. Many times I have heard footsteps up and down the stairs and I'm the only one in the house. My cats and dogs will sit for long periords just staring at the walls or ceiling.

The house has not had many families live in it, and when they have they don't stay very long, then the house sits empty for years.

The house was built on land owned by the Catawba Indians and also Civil War battle took place here which adds to alot of strange things.

#9 Christina M

Christina M

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Iv'e also experienced the phantom odors.The perfume or cologne odors, smell of flowers,burning matches, burning wood and also as if different foods cooking..At times also cleaning agents or other odors..I'm wondering if this could possibly be as they call it residue hauntings..I live in a house my family members have lived in for over 60 years..These odors people do in there lifetime over and over so maybe it leaves an imprint that is picked up at certain times. If this is is the case, what trggers it??Or, perhaps this phenomena is an internal thing.The mind just playing back what it has experienced in the past.Actually, but also what could trigger that?? Quite an interesting topic. Keep opinions coming.I'm also curious on this subject.

#10 Dutchie

Dutchie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I have the same experience. I live in an old farmhouse from the landrun era and from time to time smell fresh cigarette smoke coming from the livingroom. The dogs, at that time, stare at the area intently.

This happened more frequently when I first moved in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users