ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

James Owen
for National Geographic News
Published April 8, 2010

The team studied 52 heart attack patients who had been admitted to three major hospitals and were eventually resuscitated. Eleven of the patients reported near-death experiences.
More http://news.national...carbon-dioxide/

#2 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

~You know, I've read somewhere that for the folks that do believe they had a NDE also had alot to do with their brainwaves & thinking they were having a NDE when actually, they were not.

About 18 or so years ago, my mom said she had one & explained it to me. Honestly, I'd never disrespect my Mom and try to shoot down her ordeal with the experience, but I'm really on the fence about it.

Either way, great article & thanks for sharing, Ohreally.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

~You know, I've read somewhere that for the folks that do believe they had a NDE also had alot to do with their brainwaves & thinking they were having a NDE when actually, they were not.

Why not Laurie Ann? That exactly IS WHAT NDE is all about right? It is not the explanation that matters, but the experience.

Great article ohreally? Thanks for sharing.
Posted Image

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

~Thats a vey good point, Moonie and you're so correct. I never thought of it like that.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

For those that are interested in this topic, the following link will be of interest.

There has been a lot of interesting work done on this topic at the University of Virginia; amongst other things, they have found that a consistent 18% of people who "die" on the operating table in their cardiology department, and are revived, report a NDE.

Of those reporting the experience, there is a remarkable consistency amongst all of their reports.

Seems that there is something worthy of note in all of this.

Check this:

http://www.nderf.org/FAQs.htm

#6 space ghost

space ghost

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

A theory that I had heard was that although in these cases the body is clinically dead, the brain is still active. Hullucinations occur do to lack of oxygen to the brain. Seems fairly sensible to me.

#7 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

A theory that I had heard was that although in these cases the body is clinically dead, the brain is still active. Hullucinations occur do to lack of oxygen to the brain. Seems fairly sensible to me.

Except for the cases recorded in which the brain shows no activity in any of EEG, active MRI and oxygen transport tests.
Yet, when the person is revived, they report a NDE.

Read the link; this issue is discussed there.

#8 wipsi

wipsi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Interesting..Look into the work of Sam Parnia, MD

#9 wipsi

wipsi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Good article on NDEs from the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.co...3494074922.html

#10 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

Interesting read, but would the soul be even bothered to check the picture as it leaves?
Posted Image

#11 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

There are just so many possible explanations including something similar to what happens to the mind/essence when the body goes into a coma
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#12 Night Star

Night Star

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, animals, reading, music, dragons, fairies, elves, being creative...

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

There are cases of people who have had near death experiences and could describe what was going on in different areas outside the operating room, or could describe everything that went on in the operating room while supposedly dead. Check out the IANDS website, the most reliable site for near death experiences.
http://www.iands.org/home.html
Posted Image

#13 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Good article on NDEs from the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.co...3494074922.html

Great article and thanks for sharing. I might have missed it in the article but did the people who had the NDE come back and say what the pictures were.

Edited by axlfoley, 02 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Whatever

#14 wipsi

wipsi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Interesting new study that is sure to add to the NDE debate...

http://www.uofmhealt...ess-dying-brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users