Dashwood Estate

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Mainly literature, theatre and the arts, intermixed with ancient and medieval history, mythology, vampirology, demonology, the paranormal... but I also like music, especially gothic industrial, darkwave, gothic rock, metal, jazz and classical, cult cinema, aquiring vegetarian and seafood recipe books and walks in the rain with my boyfriend, known on here as cryptokiller.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

This place isn't typically haunted, but it is definately active.

You have probably all heard of the Hellfire Club? Well, I'm 'lucky' enough to live just under ten miles from their base, the Hellfire Caves on the Dashwood Family Estate in Downley, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

The Dashwood Family Mausoleum is situated on the hill, over the entrance to the caves, which themselves curve right under the estate lands and come up in the grounds of nearby Hughenden Manor. I have family buried in the small churchyard which is next to the Mausoleum, so we go up there every now and again, and quite often go right up to the gates of the Mausoleum to look out at the view over the valley of Wycombe, which is completely visible right up there by the Mausoleum. The Mausoleum itself is typical of old English family opulence; a vast piece of marble and stone, circular shaped, with carvings of the family patriarchs and urns set into holes in the wall. There are three gated doors into it, with a large urn-shaped statue in the center of the circle.

Every time I go up there, I feel so sick. It's just a nasty, nasty place. You feel like you are being watched, and when I look into the gates at the urns and statues in there, I almost vomit. It is such a nasty place to be. A horrible atmosphere. The Dashwoods and the Hellfire Club were never 'officially' linked, and the Hellfire Club were never 'officially' charged with anything, but it is common knowledge amongst those in the area that they were evil people. Young women and children would disappear off up to the Estate and not come back, you know?

I sometimes wonder just what is active within the Caves, and to a certain extent, the Mausoleum itself. The hill on which it stands is notoriously active around Samhain and Satanic festivals. Cross shaped tombstones are over turned, fires burned, the police have to be called to less-than-wholesome activities going on up there and suchlike. Maybe that keeps awake something that should definately be laid to rest, y'know?

Does anyone else know much about the Dashwoods or the Hellfire Club, and has anyone else visited there? Personally, I'd say it was a must if you were a serious paranormal investigator or anything like that.

G.Q. xxx
What if I'm the kindest demon, something you may not believe in?What if I'm a siren, singing gentlemen to sleep?Every woman is at heart a witch, the devil an angel too.

#2 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

Here's some thing my crack research team has come up with:

http://www.historyho...l/hellfire.html

http://www.outlawjou...back.php?p=2110

http://www.strangebr...ds/westwyc.html

This is probably the best of the links; pics, maps, info, etc:

http://www.blather.n...unnels_and.html

vobis fruor!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#3 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Mainly literature, theatre and the arts, intermixed with ancient and medieval history, mythology, vampirology, demonology, the paranormal... but I also like music, especially gothic industrial, darkwave, gothic rock, metal, jazz and classical, cult cinema, aquiring vegetarian and seafood recipe books and walks in the rain with my boyfriend, known on here as cryptokiller.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for those links, rayzrwyre! I'll take a look and add them to my list of links connected to the Dashwoods.
What if I'm the kindest demon, something you may not believe in?What if I'm a siren, singing gentlemen to sleep?Every woman is at heart a witch, the devil an angel too.

#4 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like a good place to investigate if it was allowed :)

#5 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

I think it is allowed, Mark London. I know Most Haunted did a show there, and you can rent out the Caves at least for private use... I think as the Mausoleum is pretty much public property you could do whatever there.

#6 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Im gonna put on my list of things to do before i peg it :)

#7 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Im gonna put on my list of things to do before i peg it :wow:

You're welcome.

#8 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I'm gonna put on my list of things to do before i peg it :wow:

Of course, you could always do it after you peg it.

And I have to vouch for the weirdness of this place. The mausoleum on top of the hill is so quiet and serene, anyone sensitive enough to such things should automatically realize that it is way too quiet, and therefore should be on their guard. It has the air of a place where the owners have wallpapered over the bloodstains if you will, and tried to hide the sins of the past.

A word of caution everyone, this is not a place to be taken lightly. As if the 'actions' of Dashwood's associates are not bad enough, the local cults, Satanic and otherwise, have raised all sorts of hell in the graveyard next door to the mausoleum, and some magical or spiritual protection should be used, especially if visiting the place at night.

Which I don't recommend.

cryptokiller
London
UK

#9 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi goblinqueen...this sounds like a fascinating and certainly very active place. Mausoleums have always, always given me the chills, but this one sounds especially sinister or forboding.
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

#10 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

Posted Image

*sniff sniff* Seems like only three months since i had the pleasure of meeting you, and now you've gone and pegged it! We'll miss you, pal! :Spaz:

Oh, you mean BEFORE you peg it?? Sorry, my bad, I thought you were....uh, never mind! How you doing, Mark? Looking great!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#11 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hi goblinqueen...this sounds like a fascinating and certainly very active place. Mausoleums have always, always given me the chills, but this one sounds especially sinister or forboding.

I'm much the same when it comes to mausoleums. This one however is a little different. Sinister and forboding are two very good words for it!

#12 Moregan

Moregan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I really would love to visit this place and the Hellfire Caves. I guess one has to be rather tough to do an overnight investigation in such a location... :Spaz:
Posted Image

#13 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

razyr...those are great sites you posted. Makes me want to go check it out...too bad I am so far across the pond and hardly ever get out of the great state of VA!!! Those mannequins are a bit on the tacky side, huh?

Look forward to hearing/researching more about the caverns,etc....
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

#14 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:50 AM

Okay, I have to admit I loved the tacky manniquines. If I could get hold of some I would probably set things like that up in my basement. And my living room. And my front yard. For any reason I can thnk of. But Manniquines are EXPENSIVE!
We know, we looked.

It would deffinetly be very cool to go visit there.

Edited by Bluemooncat, 12 July 2007 - 02:51 AM.

My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#15 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Okay, I have to admit I loved the tacky manniquines. If I could get hold of some I would probably set things like that up in my basement. And my living room. And my front yard. For any reason I can thnk of. But Manniquines are EXPENSIVE!
We know, we looked.

It would deffinetly be very cool to go visit there.

hey, bluemoon...I totally see setting up some mannequins in the basement. That would be aq hoot. It would really kinda shock guests when going down there for the first time.

The mannequin setups really reminded me of those tourist museums in St Auguatine, Salem, and other places...kinda funny and hokey.

Not on the subject of manequins, but speaking of basements, my Grandpa used to have these carved coconut pirate heads with knives in the mouth that he hung above the basement stairs. Silly things, actually, but they scared the daylights out of me each time...guests for the first time also jumped. It was funny...wish I still had one. I can see my Granpa (God rest his soul) acquiring a few mannequins and setting them up. He was such a jokester...full of spunk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users