• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 04:48 PM

Here's a pretty puzzle for you, in San Luis Obispo there are 2 cemetaries across the street from one another both named San Luis Cemetary, one's fairly old and has a good deal more activity. When I noticed this I called my brother in law-who's spent the last 10 years in SLO and asked if it had been divided just for size or was the road, Bridge St built for convenience*neither is especially crowded*He was clueless.

The larger one<more active>is more noted for dramatic cold spots, Saturday night readings went from 40 to -9 degrees in front of an old Mausoleum. The mystery was in placement of stones. In the cemetaries I'd been in, older interments had their own section and in some cases, there were children's sections, but in this cemetary they had people from the 1850's lying just a few feet from people who died in 1998*non-related*

Can anyone explain how that happens?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 05:00 PM

Probably the way plots were bought...most of my grandfather's side of the family is buried together under a tree but not all.  When they first settled in the Pittsburgh area a few plots were bought one set of the family bought one set and a little bit away another set bought more plots...we now are "full up" and all the plots were bought.  where my granmother and more immediate family is buried there is a straight line of 5 plots and on either side are "strangers" some much newer than others.  On the other set of plots there is one larger marker with people buried around it, some from the 1850's when we first settled here the the latest for the 60's when my grandfather's uncle died.  But lets say someone doesn't buy all the land in that area and being clanish as most older families are they don't want to spend eternity around outsiders so they picked plots further away from others so now there are gaps between family plots that no one wanted as they were too small for families.  Or else the people who were expected to be buried moved away, got lost at sea, got cremated etc... equalling extra spaces.  Enter modern society, many people without families or without local ones they die and the nearest cemetary can fit you in right in that pretty spot between the Smiths and the Jones.  Plus, its hard to tell for sure if people are related.  My grandmother owned a plot in the family cemetary in WV where she grew up but was buried here, my grandfather told her sisters to use it for a family member who died without a place.  As my aunts and uncles all have their plots in this cemetary and only one child of my father's generation lives in the state and two in mine its very likely it will go to a distant relation if it hasn't already.

But that's just my two cents
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 05:24 PM

WOW, Thanks, Masque ;D I didn't even consider that as a possible explanation about older families and plot buying
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users