• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

Ok, a buddy sent this too me and it's just way too fun  [smiley=cwm35.gif].

1. Grab a calculator. (you won't be able to do this one in your head)

2. Key in the first three digits of your phone (NOT the area code)

3. Multiply by 80

4. Add 1

5. Multiply by 250

6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone ~~~~~~

7. Add the last 4 digits of your phone ~~~~~~ again.

8. Subtract 250

9. Divide by 2

Recognize the number?
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#2 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

gak! fun with numbers mykie!? are you mad man?!
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,201 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:20 PM

;) now that IS fun!

so we have FUN in Mathematics too?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#4 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:59 AM

First off, fun and maths don't go together.... it just doesn't work.
Second, it doesn't work for brittish numbers ;) we only have six digits in our land lines without the area code or 11 digits in our mobile phones.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#5 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:57 AM

Here's one Hawkie sent me yesterday!

Chocolate Math

1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you >> would like to have chocolate. (try for more than once but >> less than 10) >> >> >> >> >>    

2.. Multiply this number by 2 (Just to be bold) >> >> >> >>

3. Add 5. (for Sunday) >>  
                                                                                                                     4. Multiply it by 50 I'll wait while you get the calculator................. >> >> >> >> >>                        

5. If you have already had your birthday this year >> add 1754.... If you haven't, add 1753 ......

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

>> You should have a three digit number. >> >> >> >> >> The first digit of this was your original number (i.e., how many >>times >> you want to have chocolate each week). >> >> >> The next two numbers are ........ >> >> YOUR AGE! ( Oh YES, it IS!!!!! ) >> >> THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR IT WILL EVER WORK, SO >> SPREAD IT AROUND WHILE IT LASTS.  ;D ;D
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#6 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:13 AM

"First off, fun and maths don't go together.... it just doesn't work." What Mell, you never tried MULTIPLYING like bunnies? Dividing up the loot? Counting kisses? No fun with maths indeed! You just have to know where to look for it.

The choclate thing didn;t work for me. Maybe I don't want enough chocolate
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#7 Gregory

Gregory

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

Ok, a buddy sent this too me and it's just way too fun  [smiley=cwm35.gif].

1. Grab a calculator. (you won't be able to do this one in your head)

2. Key in the first three digits of your phone (NOT the area code)

3. Multiply by 80

4. Add 1

5. Multiply by 250

6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone ~~~~~~

7. Add the last 4 digits of your phone ~~~~~~ again.

8. Subtract 250

9. Divide by 2

Recognize the number?

The minute I saw this, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I proved it true.  So here it is, in case anyone's interested:

a) Let the telephone number be XYZABCD; breaking it into its component parts, XYZABCD=1,000,000X + 100,000Y + 10,000Z + 1,000A + 100B + 10C + 1D

We now break this number into two parts: the first three numbers and the last four numbers:

;) XYZ = 100X + 10Y + Z

c) ABCD = 1000A + 100B +10C + 1D

So following the steps provided:

3) 8000X + 800Y + 80Z

4) 8000X + 800Y +80Z + 1

5) 2,000,000X + 200,000Y + 20,000Z + 250

d) Addition is associative (or Commutative?  I always confuse the two).  This means that E + F + G = G + E + F, and so forth.  Since steps 6, 7, and 8 are all addition, we may do step 8 first; this will prove easier.

8) 2,000,000X + 200,000Y + 20,000Z

e) Adding a number twice is the same as adding 2 times that number one.  We therefore combine steps 6 and 7.

6/7) 2,000,000X + 200,000Y + 20,000Z + 2(1,000A + 100B + 10C +D)

9) 1,000,000X + 100,000Y + 10,000Z + 1000A + 100B + 10C +D = XYZABCD
Q.E.D.

You were right; that was fun.  I haven't been able to prove the chocolate one yet, though.

Edited: Yes, I have

Let x be and arbitrary number from 1-10, exclusive
Let yr be the year you were born
Let age be your age
We will demonstrate that this is true if you haven't had your birthday yet; proving it true if you have follows the same formula

1) x
2) 2x
3) 2x + 5
4) 100x + 250
5) 100x + 250 + 1753

It is demonstratably true that if you haven't had your birthday yet, 2004 - yr = age + 1
               thus age = 2003 - yr

6) 100x + 250 + 1753 - yr
    100x + 2003 - yr
    100x + age

Thus x will be in the hundreds place, and since
adding a number to a whole number between 100 and 900 that is evenly divisible by hundred merely involved replacing the last two zeroes with the number your adding, the last two digits will be age.  I don't think this will work if you're over 100, though.
What Would Batman Do?

#8 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

amen mel! math is the root of all evil! fun in math is not possible.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#9 Gregory

Gregory

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:03 PM

Are you kidding?  Proving those was the most fun I had all day!  Very basic, but I always get a rush out of that sort of thing.
What Would Batman Do?

#10 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:46 PM

Are you kidding?  Proving those was the most fun I had all day!  Very basic, but I always get a rush out of that sort of thing.

*lol* are you serious the most fun you had all day :'( j/k

#11 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:08 AM

Gregory --good god man! You have been thinking WAY too much! [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif]
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users