Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

The TAPS forum is getting a little too wierd!

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#31 ElandraWilkins

ElandraWilkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

I think ghosts are in the eye of the beholder. There are people who believe in ghosts and there are people don't believe in ghosts. It's all what you've been exposed to in your environment whether or not others "encourage" your beliefs. When you find people who feel the same way you do, then you will nurture those said beliefs. Ghosts might be created in your own mind or they may have been created by something else that everyone can see. It's not an exact science as someone once told me, and it's true. Do ghosts really exist? Are they only in your head?

#32 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

First, I'd like to chime in here again. Let me point out that my original post is a year and a half old. It was also about the forum and not the Ghost Hunters TV show. I don't feel that I'm an expert in the field but I have had 23 years experience in investigating. So I don't feel that flaming anyone for being an avid investigator has any place in any paranormal discussion.

I have returned once or twice to the TAPS forum since then and still find that approximately 75% of the discussions are almost juvenile. I am not saying that the juvenile attitudes don't show up here once in a while, but they don't take long to learn what goes on at this board. When a newbie comes in like that, the regulars at GV usually try to help as much as possible.

Here's something that happened at TAPS forum once. A poster had put up a possible paranornal photo and swore that it was filled with ghosts (i.e. faces in the photo and a half dozen dust orbs.). I was the first to reply to the original post with the explaination of matrixing and the telltale signs of dust orbs. A couple of people posted replies telling me pretty much that my opinions meant nothing. A few hours later a moderator had deleted my post and sent me a PM telling me basically to play nice. I was not rude nor was I disrespectful. I haven't posted there since. I felt as if they wanted no scientific help with the photo, just wanted a pat on the back for capturing the "most awesome photo of all those spirits".
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#33 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

BTW, if my original post was a judgement call, so-be-it. Then that judement was based on the testimony of several people who acted in a manner which I felt was inappropriate.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#34 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

Alright, I'm stepping in and asking EVERYONE to play nicely here. Keep this discussion to the TAPS forum and by extention the TAPS show. DO NOT allow the discussion to degrad to personal insults (I can see a few lines starting to head that way).

I'd also like to ask that any 'challenges' as to any one individual member's 'expertise' be kept OUT OF this thread (there are other, more appropriate boards in the forum for that).

Again. This thread is about individual opinions on the TAPS forum, TAPS website, and to a much lesser degree, the TAPS show (since they all tie in together). Let's keep it on that topic.

Thanks
Vampchick21
Paranormal Media boards Moderator.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#35 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

Oh yeah,TAPS.Just for the record,I will say that I find their program interesting to watch.I think that every once and awhile,they catch something worth paying attention to.I think the shadow at Eastern State is by far their so far.On the other hand,there are somethings that just scream Hoax.The lamp on the table at the Myrtles Plantation is one that I found to be highly suspect.As for their "Professionalism" , I think they are pretty professional to the point of being stiff.You have to keep in mind that paranormal investigation is a passion,and if your not able to enjoy what your doing,then what is the point ?.

As for the TAPS site itself,I have found its well formated and you can find a good deal of useful information there,if your willing to weed out some the nonsense.Its an open forum and because of that,you will find people with varying levels of experience.This does'nt make them dumb,just inexperienced and they will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them as time goes on,much as we newer members here that lack in experience.So for both the show and site,I would say the quality of each depends on what you hope to gain from them and what level you use to measure their worth.I think if you stack Ghost Hunters against the show Most Haunted,if fares pretty well.

#36 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

Wow...I went over there to take a look and it is completely full of rookies, stooges and idiots! You could take everything that those people know about the paranormal and stuff it into a thimbal. I don't think that it will ever be a stop that I will make again. If ignorance is bliss....they must be the happiest people in the world. I think I will just stay close to home here at gv where there is paranormal knowledge. Wow!

You guys gotta admit that this is true, at least to some extent. I mean obviously, we don't know much about the paranormal, maybe next to nothing. But, I mean you have to admit that the TAPS site isnt really for the ghosts. Its really for the fans of the show to gush over TAPS. The TAPS site isnt really a paranormal site, its really just a fansite. The only reason they're really popular is because they have a tv show, really.

However I don't want to stereotype and say that everyone at that site is ignorant and doesnt know anything about the paranormal, I think, like the show, the majority of these people do not approach the subject of the paranormal very tactfully. I mean, they spend more time bashing when they should be asking questions, whether it be a picture, EVP, or video clip.

Just because you dont have proof that something is real doesnt mean you have proof that it is not real.

#37 NaPUK Jon

NaPUK Jon

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

They sound like our version of Most Haunted :Wall:

#38 MissMurder

MissMurder

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:guys,music,paranormal,reading,writing

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

I am not sure how TAPS conducted investigations in the past, I do know someone linked with the show and the fact that the team is on camera really hurts how they use to do investigations. From what I was told they use to go to a home several times, now because of schedule they go there for a few hours only shoot some footage and wrap things up.

Maybe they will change things for season 2.

All I know is my team is going to one of the homes from the show this month to re-investigate it because the homeowners were upset as to how they were treated.

It's not Season 2 Season 3 is coming in oct.
Posted Image

#39 SPIRIT66

SPIRIT66

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

And just because they are "TAPS" doesn't mean they are any better then us. Just like someone who is certified as a paranormal investigator is not any better then someone not certified. I think knowledge comes with experience.

I know (and I have met) some great normal (non TV show) investigators in my years of investigating. They are very knowledgable and their stuff is not out there like TAPS is. They have added to the paranormal research too but get no credit. Kinda sucks in my opinion.

I'm just in this to collect evidence and help people out. When you get away from that aspect you become something else I guess.

#40 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

And just because they are "TAPS" doesn't mean they are any better then us. Just like someone who is certified as a paranormal investigator is not any better then someone not certified. I think knowledge comes with experience.

I know (and I have met) some great normal (non TV show) investigators in my years of investigating. They are very knowledgable and their stuff is not out there like TAPS is. They have added to the paranormal research too but get no credit. Kinda sucks in my opinion.

I'm just in this to collect evidence and help people out. When you get away from that aspect you become something else I guess.

I agree with you...especially since certificates mean absolutely nothing at all. I see certificates handed out by people that don't know the first thing about the paranormal.

I do believe that you can have both worlds and some times the best way to help out paranormal research is to get your stuff out there but it all has to be professionally done and done the right way with the right tools.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#41 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Plus, just as an added note, when or if you are out there performing an investigation, you have to be totally in the mindset that you are NOT doing this to become well known or famous. I think thats what went wrong with TAPS. They got too over their heads and now they concentrate more on showmanship and having a scary investigation rather than a real, professional investigation. Fame ruins the best of 'em.

I'm not saying that all famous paranormal investigators are like that, I mean its very different. Its obvious that people like KRC can be well known but remain professional, as well as not charging any money for investigations(I think).

#42 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

:D Excellent post and I agree. :weeee:

I think ghosts are in the eye of the beholder. There are people who believe in ghosts and there are people don't believe in ghosts. It's all what you've been exposed to in your environment whether or not others "encourage" your beliefs. When you find people who feel the same way you do, then you will nurture those said beliefs. Ghosts might be created in your own mind or they may have been created by something else that everyone can see. It's not an exact science as someone once told me, and it's true. Do ghosts really exist? Are they only in your head?

As for the existence of ghosts, I find it hard to believe that they don't exist. But it doesn't matter what people believe or don't believe, ghosts are going to do their own thing anyhow.

As for them being a figment of the imagination, I think that's an old argument. I've experienced enough to know that something real is going on that humans haven't figured out yet. It's not an exact science but maybe we're going to need a whole new area of science for this one......

#43 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:05 AM

I never did go for that debunking every haunting thing that TAPS does either. I feel it is best to go neutral.

#44 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

I never did go for that debunking every haunting thing that TAPS does either. I feel it is best to go neutral.

Thanks ax...it is good to know that my team isn't the only one that believes that way. You have to look into things that the people are reporting like a door swinging open or what ever but as far as the evidence itself goes you have to remain neutral, disprove all mundane possibilities and get an end result of the paranormal if that indeed does happen.

John Zaffis said it best I think, "if you really try to debunk something, you will"
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#45 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hey!
Dont' forget about Grim Undertakings for this is also our mindset when it comes to investigations!

Whaaa...... :Spaz:

:Spaz: :) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users