3 replies to this topic

#1 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:56 AM

(I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, or if it belongs in personal encounters- so sorry if I'm wrong)

Many of you, when you hear something strange, or find that something has gone missing, only for it to turn up in the very place you spent fifteen minutes searching are all to keen to claim the experience as ghostly.
But what if it were a boggart, brownie, hobgoblin, Puck, pwca, phooka, bogle, Pug, Bug, Spöka... (it has many names).  I was updating my very empty website, when I noticed the similarities between some of the experiences described here and those attributed to these creatures in the past.
They are well known for playing with children or taking their toys.  They often latch on to one person- usually female and young, who they may help or simply talk to most of the time for a fee of bread and milk.  They can be known as being very clumsy, hence the bumps in the night.  They are also known to tip over milk jugs, break window sashes, put hens off laying, wake babies up, cause dogs to bark, frighten cats, slam doors, block gutters, leave taps running and blow out candles.
Some are known to shapeshift and are notorious for playing tricks on people.
They stay either with a house or with a particular family, depending on the individual and they can be very hard to get rid of.
They are very rarely seen and even rarer still is it to see them in thier true form.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,828 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:00 AM

Mel, but don't you think even these can be attributed as paranormal?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

Paranormal; abnormal, not explicable by the laws of nature.

I suppose, kinda you might say they were abnormal, but some believe fairies etc. are more natural than we are...
Either way though, the folklore and other non-popularised ideas are often ignored as explanations...
Could you tell me, is there a similar creature in any of your (more) local folklore?  Most of the books I have and many of the sites are restricted to europe...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,828 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:22 AM

obviously yes, there are loads. But it is all the same as we all believe but called a different name I suppose. we have "kuttichathan" which czn be related to the phoenomenon of poltergiest, but it is an entity and many KNOWS its presence. It is an under God. There are "Gandharvas" who are the celestial singers and still people report of hearing songs late night!!! And there are many a more of them good and bad!

Well, you ARE right, we may have to call somethings abnormal because they dont abide by our rules! but hey aren;t we abnormal for some other dimensions?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users