Spiritual atheists

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hello out there,

A few recent podcasts that I listened to likened atheists to empty shells of humans who go around flatly stating that 'when ya dead, ya dead.'

There are just as many variations of atheists as there are christians, pagans, wiccans, christian/pagan/wiccans, bhuddists, etc. The one unifying belief of atheists is that we believe that there is no god.

However, I consider myself a spiritual atheist. I believe that the body contains a spirit that, when the body dies, moves beyond the veil. What happens on the other side I can speculate based on what I read and others tell me, but that I will not know about for sure until my body dies. I believe in a universal pool of energy that can be shared by all. I believe that some get confused when the body dies and remain earth-bound until an enlightened person helps them cross over. I don't believe that all possessions are evil; in fact some may be lost people who don't know their dead.

None of us will know 100% until we are on the other side. Until then we each fill our basket full of what we conceive of as truths. We each have our own basket and have the free will to fill it as we wish.

I respect your basket, and in return expect that you'll respect mine. Please don't generalize about us atheists. Have one of us on our podcast and ask to learn our point of view, not to find holes in our arguments. Give as you want to receive of respect.

May the white light be with you,

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#2 Spookydog

Spookydog

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Great post. Initially, when I read the topic "spiritual atheists", I was confused. Before I read this, I did think you guys were "when ya dead ya dead", but it makes a lot of sense now. Great job. It opened my mind a little.

#3 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

I am definitely a "when ya dead ya dead" sorta guy, but I do respect other's beliefs.

I am not a hollow shell, though. Not by a long shot. I just choose to fill my basket with this lifetime. It is very important to me to live it well, make a positive difference in the lives of others, and enjoy what life I do have.

While I am not a spiritual person, I have acheived a comfortable place, and a sort of "pseudo spiritualism", if you will. I studied various religious beliefs and spiritual outlooks for many years, trying to figure out what I believed in. Turns out it was nothing, but I did find a lot of inspiring wisdom in the process. I try to carry that wisdom wth me and live by it for it's own sake.

I have a code I live by, but it is not based on worshiping a diety or planning on an afterlife in which scores will be settled and we get a second chance to do the right thing. it is about getting things right in the here and now.

regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#4 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

may the Force be with you! :wow:
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

may the Force be with you! :wow:

LOL! Are you a Jedi?

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#6 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Good on you for articulating your beliefs, folks need to know.

Thing of it is that athiesm is a western phenomina, that is not holding a belief in a god. Technically, Buddhism does not have a supreme diety, nor does Taoism, and between the two faith paths, hold a good chunk of world's population.

So the ppl of the book, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, are the major monotheistic religions and they hold about one-third of the world's population. The other two-thirds are either athiest or polythiest. You are in good company.

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#7 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Have a question for you...
Did your initial drive to discount the existance of a god come from the rejection of the idiocy of the current western religions or did your search for god lead you to find there is no one out there?

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#8 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

I'm not sure that I want any sort of a label on my beliefs.

I grew up with having the roman catholic religion shoved down me. The whole time as a child I knew there was something wrong about the whole thing. From early childhood I knew "I" was different in what I felt of the world. Having had some rather interesting experiences growing up, I had many a question, but I knew what I felt was right, and I still do.

I never would bother anyone about their beliefs, but lately I have more and more people questioning me about what I do know. How does it all work out there etc.

I am simple.
I feel the world as a whole and I hold that energy that it gives off as part of my own self. Its a oneness with the universe on a whole different level you might say. Everything effects us that is about this planet and the universe together. No one person owns us. We are an energy. Think if you will, that we know the mind is energy, it is known you can not destroy energy, it has to go somewhere, so when we die from this form, where do you think that energy goes?

Since ancient times, even the egyptians knew of this energy. They knew it still exsisted in some way. They gave food and such for their journey. Many other religions do the same still to this day. They know the spirit/energy of the soul continues on till its next destination, so to speak.
How is it two people can know each other from another time and yes, find each other again.
How is it there came to be beliefs in re-incarnation? It had to come from somewhere. Seeing a loved ones spirit after they passed how did this come about? How did ghost hunting come about? Its not just because we want to. Its a wanting to know more about the questions we do have of our own mortality.

Man created religion to control the masses of people. Fear does some odd things and it worked for the most part.
There are so many questions, and there will always be that wanting to know what is beyond this path we are on now. Its normal. But its does not mean we have to have only one religion or one belief. Its not going to change, yet. The need to control is still out there. The need to say one is right over another. Each will have their own journey when the time comes, thats when they will know and then accept what is there, hopefully...

So, no I cannot label my ownself and will not label others.
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#9 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

To Canis: A belief in nothing is still a belief... So you have your beliefs, just like anyone else.

Did your initial drive to discount the existance of a god come from the rejection of the idiocy of the current western religions or did your search for god lead you to find there is no one out there?

I searched for a god as a child, based on what was given to me in the various churches I attended. The description of 'feeling the lord's presence in you' was something that I couldn't 'feel'. I have been disgusted, too, by what is done in the name of a god or of gods, that I can't buy into any of the group think I encounter in religious groups. I get claustrophobic in the 'you must believe like us or your wrong and bad' mold.

I read up on heathenism, as it's more of the respect of elders instead of worship, which to me is rather one-way. However, there are so many factions in the realm of heathenism, some of which still revolve around god worship. The original beliefs were trampled under the feet of Christians in the early and middle periods, so that that is available these days is mostly reconstruction and speculation.

I can accept that there are entities that have great power, but it's wrong to think that they can't learn from us as much as we learn from them. The moment you feel you've got nothing left to learn, you're sunk. In my beliefs, every entity or life form is constantly evolving. Humility should not be limited to those less powerful.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#10 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Greg

I am also an athiest that believes we have a spirit that moves on to another plane of existance when the body dies but I wanted to answer this question too.

I wanted to say that I have never discounted God or any other diety. The possibility is there of course but I am an evidence based kind of guy. I don't believe that ghosts exist because others told me to believe that way. I have been told by every religious believer that God exists because he just does. I have NEVER seen any evidence of his existance in my entire life. Sure, there are things that people say are God but if we look hard enough we can make just about anything fit. In my opinion, God is a character in a very old book that people have for some reason decided to worship. Why? It is just a book with fantastic stories written by people a very long time ago, just think if our ancestors would have liked the book well enough we could be worshiping Homer and the Illiad instead. The stories in the Bible are fantastic and the writers deserve a lot of credit for it but to put all of my belief in and run my life by it, I personally cant do that.

In the end it is a matter of to each his own but this is just my opinion.
Posted Image

#11 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Welcome back Brian!

Nice to see you about again!

Les
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#12 fatman

fatman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

Greg

I am also an athiest that believes we have a spirit that moves on to another plane of existance when the body dies but I wanted to answer this question too.

I wanted to say that I have never discounted God or any other diety. The possibility is there of course but I am an evidence based kind of guy. I don't believe that ghosts exist because others told me to believe that way. I have been told by every religious believer that God exists because he just does. I have NEVER seen any evidence of his existance in my entire life. Sure, there are things that people say are God but if we look hard enough we can make just about anything fit. In my opinion, God is a character in a very old book that people have for some reason decided to worship. Why? It is just a book with fantastic stories written by people a very long time ago, just think if our ancestors would have liked the book well enough we could be worshiping Homer and the Illiad instead. The stories in the Bible are fantastic and the writers deserve a lot of credit for it but to put all of my belief in and run my life by it, I personally cant do that.

In the end it is a matter of to each his own but this is just my opinion.

I've always considered the New Testament as historical fiction and the Old Testament as just tall tales or fairy tales. I haven't read those in years and haven't really read the books on the other religions at all with the exception of comparisons, etc. I'm too busy reading relevant books, like The Zombie Survivalist Guide. Now that's a practical use book.
I guess unlike most of you, I don't have a cosmic view of the afterlife or life in general. As an atheist, I just take it as it comes and find the beauty in the moment. For me, life happens as it happens. And as for the afterlife involving ghost, spirits, etc., I still have many questions regarding the reasoning and how of their existance. I know they're there, I just want to know of the why.

#13 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

Just wanted to throw this into the mix. It could cover several of the folks in this thread. Nothing at all is wrong with either path, it is a matter of degee, I'm thinking....

An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.
Agnostics don't know if there is a God, or gods, or any higher power at all, and they also don't think it can be disproven/proven that there is one. Most don't really care.

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#14 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

I wanted to say that I have never discounted God or any other diety.

I agree with you HR. I don't KNOW for 100% that there is no god. I know what I believe based on what I've experienced in life. I totally respect the right of others to believe in gods or nothing at all. I say, give as you want to get. If you want respect for your beliefs, then you must give it. Don't come at me like I'm wrong and your right. Truth is an individual absolute, not a universal absolute.

There are many who see the Bible as containing metaphorical stories that are for teaching, and is not to be taken as the absolute, universal truth for all. There are so many variations of interpretation that the variety, in my opinion, ends up negating the value.

Carlotta

#15 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

I'm not atheist, I guess I'm sort of agnostic (I realize it sounds kind of strange, not knowing whether you're agnostic or not) although I was raised Catholic.

But some of the most psychically tuned-in people I know are atheists or agnostics. I think people assume that if you don't believe there is a god or supreme being of any kind--or, if you are resigned to not knowing whether there is or isn't one--that you cannot have any belief in any sort of afterlife or spirit world.

I do know atheists who do believe that "When ya dead, ya dead," but I don't think that a disbelief in the existence of god and a belief in a spirit world are necessarily mutually exclusive.

And like Carlotta said, no matter what you believe or don't believe, it's only right to respect someone else's views if you want respect for your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users