• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:20 AM

Yeah I agree with you Kat, Those Filesharing programs like Kazza, Morpheus, Emuel, ect... tend to get alot of adware on your computer, I had Morpheus, a long time ago, and I would run AdAware, and it would find hundreds of adware on my computer and all sorts of junk, so yes it could be a possiblility of why you are getting so much.
-Chris-

#17 bernadette

bernadette

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

Is it spyware that makes my darn computer run sooooo slow? I downloaded spybot s/d yesterday...didnt help at all. any suggestions?

#18 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

Get a copy of Window Washer if you can and run that.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#19 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:53 AM

I guess sometimes the simple solution is the best. I yanked PC-Cillin off my system as it was interfearing with my Star Trek games. I did discover that Microsoft service pack 2 for windows xp does include a firewall. I tested it at the Shields Up site and found the firewall maintained complete stealth mode, thats better than PC-Cillan and Zone Alarm. Who woulda thunk that Microsoft could get anything right? :huh: So far no further adware penetration, so far so good! :angry:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#20 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

You still need some sort of virus protection. Doesn't matter too much which brand you get, as long as it is updated on a regular basis. AVG Free from Griftsoft, Norton, and Mcafee have all served me well at one time or another. I use ClamAV on Linux, but don't know if they make a Windows version.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#21 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:27 PM

True enough Aloha. I am using Avast. Seems to work well, has regular updates and best of all, it's free. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#22 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

As far as anti-spyware goes, the best one that I have used is Spybot Search & Destroy. It is free from pcworld.com and works very well. It also doesn't slow down the system. I just run a bot check about once a week and it removes it all from the puter.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 Nightwing

Nightwing

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

I also run both Spybot S&D, and Adaware.
I occasionaly get something neither can remove, at which point I do a system search from the start button for that specific file, and delete it and/or all the contents.
Once that is done, I log off line, unplug the phone line, and then run Spybot and adaware again.
Never has that system failed to get rid of even the most persistant bug.
There are stranger things in Heaven and Earth......

#24 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

Well, removing PC Cillin messed with my system, and Avast wasn't as trustworthy as PC Cillin was. So I got back my P C Cillin anti virus and the firewall..... Cleaning the system in process though.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#25 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:20 AM

Is it spyware that makes my darn computer run sooooo slow? I downloaded spybot s/d yesterday...didnt help at all. any suggestions?

If you've already run Spybot that may not be your problem. How much RAM does your computer have installed? Do you have a lot of programs running in the background and/or in the system tray? Do you keep your hard drive defragmented on a regular basis? Those are a few of the more common things that can affect system performance.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#26 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:36 AM

http://www.usatoday....bieinfect_x.htm

read this

#27 sprace

sprace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:anything ghostly, reading crime thrillers a must, music mainly rock and shopping lots of it!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

oh all these anti virus and spyware ....... I have spybot search and destroy
AOL adaware, and macafee and still manage to get problems and something is making my puter so slow....but at least they seem to be doing the job sort of lol.
i was told that AOL didnt support macafee, but i am not sure what the best protection is. We bought macafee from pc world when we bought our pc, For now it seems to be ok. :wave:
Always believe~ Always Trust~ Always Love~ & All the good things will Find you.

#28 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

my system has crashed yet again..... this time a virus going rounds in my ISP network! I have reinstalled the OS thrice in a row, but the virus is latching on as soon as I connect to the net.......

God, deliver me from windows :wave:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users