Hachoo! Bless You!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Persia

Persia

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 10 February 2004 - 07:17 AM

my sister told me that it was if you sneezed they believed that you could die from it so they would say God Bless You. Who "they" are i'm still trying to find out. lol

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#17 ghostly

ghostly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:13 AM

This is what I found

"The custom of saying "God bless you" after a sneeze was begun literally as a blessing. Pope Gregory the Great (540-604 AD) ascended to the Papacy just in time for the start of the plague (his successor succumbed to it). Gregory (who also invented the ever-popular Gregorian chant) called for litanies, processions and unceasing prayer for God's help and intercession. Columns marched through the streets chanting, "Kyrie Eleison" (Greek for "Lord have mercy"). When someone sneezed, they were immediately blessed ("God bless you!") in the hope that they would not subsequently develop the plague. All that prayer apparently worked, judging by how quickly the plague of 590 AD diminished."
[smiley=cwm15.gif]

#18 Persia

Persia

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:35 AM

interesting! thanx for sharing!

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#19 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:49 PM

I have always been taught that this actually does date to Ancient Rome where the belief was that the person sneezing was indeed expelling a demon to help balance the bodies humors. By invoking Gods name you saved your self from that demon entering you. This is also the reason we cover our mouths when we yawn. ORIGINALY we made the sign of the cross to ward off the demons of the air, and keep them from entering our bodies. This was at the time when mankind was believed to be divided directly into two spheres of influence. The right side (in Latin Dexter, as in dexterious) was controlled by the forces of good while the left side (in Latin Sinister, well, that's just sort of self explanitory) was controlled by the forces of evil. That is why Catholic Schools forced left handed children to write with their right hand up to the 1970's. And why we throw salt over our right shoulders, to blind the demons there.

Man....
I need to get out more. ::D
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#20 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,851 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

HAAAACCCHHHHOOOOOOO!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#21 ghostly

ghostly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

bless you. need a kleenex?

#22 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,851 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:55 AM

:D that was a DRY hacchhoooo! :D

howdy ghostly?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#23 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:49 AM

I have sneezing attacks almost on the dot every day. Usually between 10:00- 10:30am. Twenty or thirty sneezes in a row. My husband usually says "Bless you, ad infinitum".

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#24 ghostly

ghostly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

Strange...see around 7-8pm at night I always have sneeze attacks!  Every night..it never fails....  Maybe the ghosts are screwing with us and tickling our noses?

#25 saturday

saturday

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Location:x0|us|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahomax0|us|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahoma

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:30 AM

humm ya know what came to my mind when i read this was i feel my soul is only taken someplayplace when you die i think only your creator has the only insight to know to be able to take your soul i think thats when you see the light :D

#26 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:38 PM

What a very interesting thread, lol. I've always heard that the whole bless you originated due to the plague...the whole 'demon trying to get in' is new to me, so thanks for the tibit! ;D

In China when someone sneezes we say "E Bi Shua" which literally means "One hundred". And for multiple sneezes you just go "Two hundred, three hundred" ect. The reason for this, as my grandmother told me, is because they fear that you are getting a cold (i.e. may get sick and die) and so this is their way of 'wishing' for you to live one hundred years or more, lol. Yeah, it gets kinda scary after you sneeze six times or more! ;D

#27 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure I'd want to live for six hundred years..... or seventeen hundred as the case may be when I have a sneezing attack. And really... who counts? lol

Ana
Don't be a newt!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users