5 replies to this topic

#1 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:27 PM

Have you ever had something happen that seemed paranormal at first, but you discovered natural causes (not paranormal) to explain what happened?  Tell us about it!

I'll start out:

I had what seemed to be a really good pic of a moving orb in my basement.  I had captured it in infrared with my camcorder.  It was bright and slowly moved across the camcorders field of view.

When I examined the footage (which I always do before saying it is a spook) I noticed that the  orb was moving slowly with a steady downward slope.  I then noticed that the orb appeared right after I had passed within a foot of the camera and was drifting in from the direction I went to.  When I went to frame-by-frame analysis I followed the orb until it passed out of the IR emitters field of illumination and followed it on down to a support post.  Not surprisingly, without the IR brightening the out of focus orb, I could see it changed into a speck.  Haunted dust?  maybe *LOL*  

What actually happened was that I stirred up a dust mote when I passed the camcorder.  It was brightly illuminated (similar to a flash on a camera) and simply drifting as air currents and gravity determine its course.

The point being that a single picture anywhere along the line of travel would look like an orb similar to many posted here, but it wasn't *snicker*  We need to remember that a camera freezes but one split second in time and mistakes in interpretation can be easily made.  Thats why I like video, it helps give a more complete examination of the event in question.

NEXT............
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:16 PM

Hmmmm.....not quite the same thing, but here you go...

Several years ago, prior to my hubby and I meeting, I lived in an apartment here in Toronto in an 80+ year old house in an area known locally as Parkdale.  In it's heyday, Parkdale was THE address, but in the 1970's & 80's, it went downhill.  Lots of boarding homes, halfway houses, rented rooms, some murders, etc.  It's good again now btw....

Anyway, my roommate took a photo of me by the door one night before we went out to The Sanctuary (miss that old goth bar...).  A week later, the roll gets developed and we look at the pics.  That shot of me had a transparent, 'rough' line through it.  It was the only pic on the roll like that.

"Ghost!"  my roommate cried.  Until I pulled out a photo I had taken a year earlier in Myrtle Beach...with the same image in it, that same white line, in the exact same spot on the picture.  It was the camera strap.   ;D

Other than that, the only experiences I've personally had where the first thought was 'Ghost!', but upon investigation proved otherwise...involved my cat doing strange, catly things.  Although I still cannot explain her watching something invisble to me on the ceiling.  I checked and no bugs......

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Vampchick!  That was a good example.  ;)

Come on villagers!! Don't be shy!
I am NOT saying that paranormal events do not happen.  I just want examples of events that seemed paranormal at first, but turned out to be natural causes.  We can all learn something from these experiences.

[glow=red,2,300]NEXT[/glow]
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#4 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 18 July 2003 - 08:15 AM

I have an old pic here somewhere of a shot I took in Louden Park Cemetary. I'll try to dig it up and post it .

At first there appeared to be an apparition of a man in the photo, but upon closer examination it was a bush positioned just right against a rather large tombstone .
The lighting played the illusion trick on not only my eyes but on the eyes of several others who checked out the photo.

I see it all too often with posted pics of what people believe to be paranormal.  :-/  The photos arent paranormal at all, rather they are explainable errors in either photography or judgement.  

The bush shot example I gave above is only one of many reason I am very cautious about what I suppose to be of a paranormal nature.

Your credibility depends greatly upon your track record and if your not sure , its better left alone until further examination can reveal more definite answers.

Rockhauler2k1

P.S.  Good topic Flying
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#5 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:43 AM

Sigh...

I have one although I still feel really dumb about it, but it did occur right after a real paranormal sighting. I was in Cove Cemetery with the group that I belong to and I saw a bright pure white ribbon of light move through the air (about 8 ft off the ground) I spun around with my Sony Nightshot camcorder to try and get it on film but it was too fast, (BTW that is the paranormal event I ruled out everything that could have caused it, it was really fast, and a really intense white light, no one from our group was in that area except me, and there are no houses or other sources of light) anyway, I got distracted from the ribbon of light and looking for it because I had a bright orb floating in the darkness in front of me on the camcorder, it would disappear and then reappear always staying in the same area. I called over other people from my group to view it as well on the camcorder, people got excited, then I realized, when I moved the orb of light moved as well, (bear in mind it was really dark) so, I started to move forward and then realized that the IR emitter was bouncing off of a super reflective gravestone that I could not see about 10 feet away. It only bounced back at certain angles that is why the orb appeared and disappeared. Man, I felt dumb, worse I have it video! It was an important lesson to learn though about IR and reflective surfaces.
:-[
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#6 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:50 PM

Hi Ohorror,

Love that example!  OK I'll share an embarrassing one also.  I had not had my infrared camcorder for very long and I was on a hunt in a local cemetery.  I saw an orb in the distance on the viewfinder and grew very excited.  As I moved toward the orb, I realised that I could not see it at all with the naked eye, but their it was bright as a little round sun on the camcorders viewfinder.  I kept moving toward the orb and alternating glancing up with my eye (still could not see it) and watching for movement on the viewscreen.  

I thought I had caught something special, but when I came close I realised it was just a bicycle type reflecter mounted on a stick for a grave decoration.  Then the embarrassment set in as I realised the reason it was on the camcorders viewscreen, but I couldn't see it, was of course, that I was taping in infrared-invisible to the eye.

I looked around to make sure my hunting buddy didn't catch me with that one! LOL   :-[

So I know how you felt......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users