Johnstown, PA and the great flood of 1889

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 D.Boone

D.Boone

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

I live in Johnstown and can say this. A person would have a hard time finding a place in the area that is not haunted. The 1889 flood was one of the worst natural disasters in this country, and the first to take so many lives. To understand the horror of the 1889 flood this is a must read: http://prr.railfan.n...ofcontents.html These are the accounts of people that lived through it.

But the 1889 flood is just part of the story. Countless others have died horrific deaths in mine collapses and explosions, train wrecks, hit by trains, accidents in the steel mills, the 1936 and 1977 floods, and wrecks on the steep winding roads in the area. There has also been several violent suicides including people blowing themselves up with dynamite, jumping in front of trains, and even one jumping from a catwalk into a ladle of molten steel.

Perhaps the reason that some don't feel particularly eerie around the old stone bridge might be because bodies were strewn along the whole river system from South Fork to Pittsburgh. As fo myself, the whole area where the wall of water came through sends a chill down my spine. The whole Conemaugh valley could easily be called Death Valley.

#32 bjshaffer40

bjshaffer40

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting (I am founder of a local paranormal group in my area and I'm looking for more people to join in this group and join investigations); online computer games

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hello Everybody! I hope all is well!

I have lived in Johnstown all my life as well. When I saw this post it took me a little while to figure out how to read all the reply's. LOL But I got it.

Anyways, Ive had, what I would say, an above average amount of paranormal experiences in my life starting when I was very young. Ive seen apparitions and a Shadow Ghost. Ive lived in a few houses that were ABSOLUTLEY haunted. Confimed by me and several roomates. Id love to meet up with some others and visit/re-visit some of these places.

However, about the "Old Stone Bridge" Ive never had an uncomfortable feeling about it. Ever. I drive under it daily. So ????? Who Knows. I wouldnt call it a "Hot Spot" but would definatley like to do some further investigations.

Im new to Ghost hunting. They usually find me. But if anyone is interested, Im game to get some of these places Confimed. Johnstown has ALOT of Ghosts, Im positive of that. Im SURE there is plenty of paranormal activity to be experienced here and look forward to any Replys.

J.

Howdy. I've started a ghosthunting group about a year ago in the Somerset Area and we've been looking for places to investigate in and around Somerset. With Johnstown being not that far away, we'd like to do some investigations (with permission in certain spots, of course). If you're interested in being a part of this group or know of a good place there in Johnstown, let me know. I've already done some research on the Inclined Plane and the mine disaster in that area. You can reach me at bjshaffer40@hotmail.com. :ghost:
Anyone who does not make mistakes hasn't done anything. --- Unknown Author

#33 darklivid

darklivid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

i live in jones town for 3 years now first time i hear about it being this haunted even duh i have experince in my own home and now in my new apartment i have a ghost who lives with me.she friendly and think of me as her brother and stay next to me.havent seen her and hear her but gonna get a tape recorder and hope i can catch her vioce.

#34 darklivid

darklivid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

if anyone wants to chat with me my facebook is john dejesus jonestown pa.i will luv to chat about ghosts and when i make money i want to get a kit so i can go otu and do some ghost haunting in jonestown.

#35 darklivid

darklivid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

found something out also in jonestown about other fllod that hit jonestown on 1862.it killed 9 people and was said the part where they died is haunted as well.

#36 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

darklivid,

Are you talking about Johnstown, PA or about Jonestown, PA?

This thread is about Johnstown, which is west of Jonestown.

#37 darklivid

darklivid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

darklivid,

Are you talking about Johnstown, PA or about Jonestown, PA?

This thread is about Johnstown, which is west of Jonestown.

sorry about that,hard to find people from jonestown to talk to.i have been to johntown before,but just like jonestown i didnt know johntown was that haunted.soon i gonna buy a ghost kit so i can go ghost haunting as well johntown i gonna put in my list for one to visit for a haunting.sory mrs.spookypants didnt know it was just johntown just thought it was area in pa.

#38 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Not a problem darklivid, just didn't want you to read through the thread and wonder why things may seem off. Or talk about something in jonestown and wonder why no one was responding to you.

Jonestown is near Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area...correct?

#39 darklivid

darklivid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Not a problem darklivid, just didn't want you to read through the thread and wonder why things may seem off. Or talk about something in jonestown and wonder why no one was responding to you.

Jonestown is near Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area...correct?

yeah like 20 minutes away from lebanon and next to lickdale.

#40 Wireman

Wireman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

The Johnstown Stone Arch Bridge has recently had cosmetic repairs done, and also had an amazing LED lighting display installed courtesy of the Johnstown Area Heritage Association, and the residents of johnstown. I would highly recommend trying to see it. The lights are only on a few hours each night, and times change. They usually turn on right after dark, and if you get there as they first turn on you'll catch one of dozens of computer controlled lighting displays. They are all very different and shows change every night. This display was installed as a memorial to the flood victims and really brings the forgotten memorial back into three public's eye. Visit (the stone arch bridge project) on Facebook to see pictures and updated info about the light shows. I was down at the stone bridge (on Iron St.) late at night on a handful of occasions and it has a very eerie feeling. It's a quiet area on a back rd and I definitely heard voices and whispers, there's a major sensation of being watched. (not just by the new security cameras). You can be arrested for trespassing if you are caught on top of the bridge, which is owned by the railroad, and please respect the new lighting display which many of our town's residents donated their own money towards to make happen. We hope to enjoy it for decades to come

#41 Wireman

Wireman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

The Johnstown Stone Arch Bridge has recently had cosmetic repairs done as well as an amazing LED lighting display installed courtesy of the Johnstown Area Heritage Association. I would highly recommends trying to see it. The lights are only on a few hours each night, and times change. They usually turn on right after dark, and if you get there as they first turn on you'll catch one of dozens of computer controlled lighting displays. They are all very different and it never gets old. This display was installed as a memorial to the flood victims and really brings the forgotten memorial back into three public's eye. Visit (the stone arch bridge project) on Facebook to see pictures and updated info about the light shows. I was down at the stone bridge (on Iron St.) late at night on a handful of occasions and it's a very eerie feeling. It's a quiet area on a back rd and I definitely heard voices and whispers, there's a major sensation of being watched. (not just by the new security cameras). You can be arrested for trespassing if you are caught on top of the bridge, which is owned by the railroad, and please respect the new lighting display which many of our town's residents donated their own money towards to make happen. We hope to enjoy it for decades to come

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users