• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IrishMonk

IrishMonk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hi all, I recently got an Olympus ds-3400 for free... I'm hoping this will be a good digital recorder for EVP work, as it costs about $500.00 msrp.

My problem is this : it records in .ds2 format ( ie .DSS pro ), and i cant fing an editor that can play this type of file. Nor can I find an audio file converter that can convert .ds2 files.

What was olympus thinking ? anyway.... Im frustrated, and wondering if anyone can offer help. I do have another recorder ... a phillips voicetracer 620 digital, it records in mp3.

I would like to use the Olympus ds-3400, but I'm against a wall. Would the phillips work just as good ? i paid 59.00 bucks for it... so i cant imagine it would be as good as the 500.00 dollar one.

Anyway... thanks for any input...

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Download the SwitchAudio File Converter. Ii believe it can process DSS files to WAV or MP3. Just Google SwitchAudio, the download converter is free.

I don't have any specs on DSS files so I can't make any recommendations regarding use of DSS format. You are right though, Olympus is great for their proprietary formats. That is why I don't use their products.

#3 IrishMonk

IrishMonk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

i dl switch... it does convert dss files, but no .ds2 files. After further looking i see that this expensive recorder only has a sample rate of 16k on its best setting ... ??

my phillips is like 80 or 90 k so i should probably just stick with it. I just wish the screen was aluminated.... oh well

#4 IrishMonk

IrishMonk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

scratch that...its only 22k ... :) BAD_WORD.. im going to get a olympus ws-500m which has 44k sample rate, records in wma and stereo mic....

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Moved this topic to "Equipment" since it deals with investigation equipment instead of actual evidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users