• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:39 AM

Some of my favorite urban legends are in the phantom hitchhiker family!  I especially enjoyed this tale of the Phantom Hitchhiker of Baraboo, Wisconsin!  More info and links can be found at my website, Theresa's Haunted History, but the basic story is as follows:

For years, drivers along a stretch of Highway 12 in Baraboo have reported a man wearing what appears to be a green army jacket from the 1960s and blue jeans walking down the road.  In most reports, this man is said to have a dark beard, and long, greasy black hair.  Drivers will pass him, not paying too much attention to the scraggly man, but then are overwhelmed when after traveling for about a mile down the road, they see the SAME guy, still walking down the side of the highway.  How could this man have gotten ahead of them so quickly when no other cars have gone by?  Some brave souls have attempted to give the man a ride, but find that he vanishes from sight before he reaches their car.

The latest sighting of this mysterious man I could find was on November 7, 2011 by a truck driver. The driver spotted the man about 9:45 pm near Ski-Hi Road.  He was spotted again by the S-curve near Skillet Creek.

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Love this! 

Do you know about how far back the stories go?  I'm going to guess at least late 60's/early 70's based on the style of jacket described in the stories. 

I know your link says that no one has figured out who he might be or what happened to him, makes me wonder if it's an updated version of an older tale? In urban legends, that sometimes happens. 

Krafted with luv

by monsters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users