60 replies to this topic

#1 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,373 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

Lets list some of the remakes over the past few years and talk about some that are coming up.
I personally am getting tire of hollywood remaking all of my favorite movies. Yes some of the remakes are very good but why can they come up with an original idea anymore?

Here are a few that I can think of:
Friday the 13th
Halloween 1 & 2
My Bloody Valantine
House of wax
Amityville Horror
Dawn of the dead
Day of the dead
Last house on the left
the fog
When a stranger calls
Hills have eyes 1 & 2

Here are a few that are coming out:
The Crow
Red Dawn
Dirty Dancing
Hellraiser
A Nightmare on elm street

Where does it end? What are your thoughts? Can you add to either list?
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:32 AM

Red Dawn

No way! I hope they do a good job with it. This is one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. I found the actors very believable in the original. Hopefully they will find some new fresh talent that actually know how to act.

As for slasher flicks, I don't know how they can remake a movie, and really make it better, when the whole premise of the movie is running away from a serial killer. Not much plot after that. I kind of feel the same with the "* of the Dead" Romero flicks. They were great but how do you improve them. More guts?

I also want to chime in on the Amityville Horror. I know a lot of people found it a sacrilege to remake this but I think Ryan Reynolds did a really good job. Melissa George was ok, I think Margot Kidder was better, but she was nuts anyway so who knows if she was really acting. Overall I really enjoyed the remake. Another great remake was the Thing with Kurt Russell, I actually liked it a lot more than the original, but I feel a lot of actors in the 50's really couldn't role play.

I heard they are remaking the Dunwich Horror. The original I found a bit confusing as a child, but I would be interested to see it again. I have also heard grumblings of a remake of the Eyes of Laura Mars, and IT. I also have seen trailers for an American version of Echo, which looked interesting. The Monster Squad which was a fave of mine too that is in planning stages.

Edited by Pfled, 20 August 2009 - 07:33 AM.

"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Dirty Dancing!!! No way!
How can one ever forget the original? It'd be weird not to see the familiar faces up onscreen.

(mind you, I've seen the stage version of it and it's very good)

Whatever

#4 ladycricket

ladycricket

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:ghost, ufos, cats, cooking, fishing, music,

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I was so very disappointed in the remake. Some times the orginials should be left alone.
Whoever said nothing is impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door!!

#5 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,373 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

Red Dawn

No way! I hope they do a good job with it. This is one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. I found the actors very believable in the original. Hopefully they will find some new fresh talent that actually know how to act.

As for slasher flicks, I don't know how they can remake a movie, and really make it better, when the whole premise of the movie is running away from a serial killer. Not much plot after that. I kind of feel the same with the "* of the Dead" Romero flicks. They were great but how do you improve them. More guts?

I also want to chime in on the Amityville Horror. I know a lot of people found it a sacrilege to remake this but I think Ryan Reynolds did a really good job. Melissa George was ok, I think Margot Kidder was better, but she was nuts anyway so who knows if she was really acting. Overall I really enjoyed the remake. Another great remake was the Thing with Kurt Russell, I actually liked it a lot more than the original, but I feel a lot of actors in the 50's really couldn't role play.

I heard they are remaking the Dunwich Horror. The original I found a bit confusing as a child, but I would be interested to see it again. I have also heard grumblings of a remake of the Eyes of Laura Mars, and IT. I also have seen trailers for an American version of Echo, which looked interesting. The Monster Squad which was a fave of mine too that is in planning stages.

I will agree with the Amityville remake. It was a very good movie. But did they really have to remake it? The original was also very good.
As far as "The Thing" remake...yep you guessed it....talks of them remaking that one again. I'm sorry, Kurt Russell was great in that roll.

A few more remakes:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Pink Panther
The Longest Yard
King Kong
Night of the Living Dead

and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

I Am Legend (I guess this one's a threemake)
Godzilla
Planet of the Apes
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#7 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

~War of the Worlds......I have to say that I watched the original and it was cool...Orson Wells cool. But the remake was sooooo awesome! I agree, some remakes are horrible. But then there are those that just make you jump alittle higher than the original did.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#8 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

You know, this is a good subject for me to rant on. LOL I find it ironic that Hollywood writers went on strike not that long ago. For what? More money for the &@#$% they are writing now. Oh wait. They aren't coming up with anything original... just reworking hundreds of classics because they're too *bleep*-ing lazy to think of something original!!!! It really chaps my hide because there's so much stuff available if they'd actually look. I don't remember if it was on this forum or not, but I read the story of 7 Gates of Hell in PA. How many of us would pay money to see that made into a movie? There are tons of existing tales out there to fill the horror/suspense genre for at least 10 years.
Posted Image

#9 elfay

elfay

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Are they really remaking Dirty Dancing ? I loved that movie !

Manchurian Canidate was an excellent movie with Frank Sinatra - the remake was nothing compared to it.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Burnt Offerings. I wish they had left The Omen alone tho.

#10 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,373 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

I also heard that they are remaking Enter the Dragon. Its title is slightly changed but I can remember to what. I'm sorry...how can you replace Bruce Lee?!!
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

how can you replace Bruce Lee?!!

You can't. Don't get me wrong there are many great martial artists these days. But no one beats the raw power, cockiness, and charisma of Bruce.

Another I read a little about last night was Romancing the Stone. Although it is just a possibility right now.

Here are some more that have come out:

Hills Have Eyes
Rollerball
The Stepford Wives
Wickerman
Manhunter/Red Dragon

All of which I felt the remakes were atrocious as compared to the original.

Here are a few where I believe the remake is better:

The Thing '82
Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78
King Kong (2005 better than 1976)
Scarface (which I couldn't even finish the original 1932)
Cape Fear (only because of DeNiro)
Salem's Lot
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#12 elfay

elfay

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

Cheaper By The Dozen was way better than the orginal Steve Martin was great in it as was Bonnie Hunt. I hated the remake of The Out-of-towners also with Steve Martin. He was awful in the remake of The Pink Panther - Peter Sellers was hysterical in those movies ! I love Peter Sellers - he was one of a kind.

I hope they never remake any of The Dirty Harry movies ... that would be a sad day in Hollywood ... No can hold a candle to Clint Eastwood.

#13 Knightranger

Knightranger

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:I like cars, music, martial arts and of course the paranormal.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

OK, I'm looking foward to a new Nightmare on Elmstreet. Any idea who will be directing it? To redo "The Crow" is like casting someone to die. FIrst off lets not forget that the original is by far one of the best movies ever made, it should win the award I think. Also Brandon Lee died making the first one and Thuy Trang (original Yellow Power Ranger) died in a car accident shortly after finishing the second Crow. This movie title is cursed, yeah I'd like to see another one, not a remake and maybe they can call it "The Black Bird" so no one has to bite it. :)
"That was your plan Ray? Get her?" Bill Murry[/size]

#14 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,373 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

They also remade:
Prom Night
Walking Tall
Psycho
Assalt on Precinct 13

Also coming out:
Wolfman
Evil Dead

My question is...where does it end. Do you think some day they will try to remake Star Wars, Gone with the Wind or even Rocky? Or like Elfay said..Would you really want to see somebody other then Clint Eastwood play Dirty Harry? I wouldn't.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,373 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

I almost forgot one of the newer ones.

Race to Witch Mountain.
Thats a remake for Disney's Escape from Witch Mountain. Personally I liked Race to Witch Mountain alot and I loved the original one growing up.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users