What Attracts Ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:writing, the occult, paranormal, film, television, past lives, spirituality, anthropology, religious studies, divination, I Ching, Astrology, coincidences, painting, literature

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Are here any way to bring ghosts to your area and to attract them? I know that one night I had a message from a spirit after a girl scout ritual in the blue ridge mountains. I'm thinking something simple, like maybe a candle flame and certain music? Or are there any known substances that attract spirits to you? Symbols? metals? Ritual gestures?

And once you attract them...where should I start out? Should I just say 'hello is there a spirit there?' and then ask 'would you like to say anything?' that is what I have been doing. Should I do it late at night or early morning? I've also noticed on a full moon seems like a very good time for paranormal activity, right at about 2:30 am. How should I build it up?

Video camera....is this also useful for an EVP? If I have my Sony Handycam where should I point it? Is being close to a body of water such as a pool a good place? Or would it be better to go into pines and a secluded area to do the ritual? Or an open space?

What are some signs that a ghost is near so you can start asking questions for an EVP? Prickling? Cold feelings? Fear? Warmth? Ringing in the left ear...? Those seem like possibles ones. Ghosts, how can you make them more comfortable in their visit with you? How can you make them not afraid or nervous to respond? Should you aim for a certain person and maybe use a photograph to trigger a certain response?

Which is better for ghosts incense: dragons blood or sandalwood? Oh and I think lighting a red candle might work...what about black or white?

And lastly, how do you know your own spirit doesn't interfere? Like you unconscious self or psychic intuition. How can you be absolutely sure it's a ghost and not you or your mind?

Don't feel like you have to answer all the questions...but if enough people answer a few I will get a pretty good idea of how to go about my Ghost Hunt.
"Science without the spirit is humanity without a conscience"Me“An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.”Charles Dickens Gabzyreach me here: AOL

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

I'll take on a couple of the questions. Regarding EVP recording, a camcorder is not really recommended because you are not genberally able to get a stereo recording nor do any good analysis on it. The only plus is if the video also provides some form of visual supporting evidence. that is about the only thing to say is a plus to using a camcorder for EVP. Keep in mind too that the camcorder MUST be tripodmounted. Otherwise carrying it around picks up a lot of extraneous noise which renders any audio useless as evidence.

As for location, any place is as good as any other, not much you can do to attract activity. If it is there it happens, if not, you try again another time. Keep in mind, EVP is rare. Most are false, so anyone who says they get EVPs every time they try is getting a lot of false ones. They likely are using a digital voice recorder. Those are prone to a lot of false positives due to how they work.

Regarding what to say, I prefer keying my questions and responses to the time period in play. That is if it is a civil war era battlefield, relate to that period. Play music from that era, ask war related questions, make comments as though you understand the time frame. In other words do your research first!
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#3 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:writing, the occult, paranormal, film, television, past lives, spirituality, anthropology, religious studies, divination, I Ching, Astrology, coincidences, painting, literature

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

I'll take on a couple of the questions. Regarding EVP recording, a camcorder is not really recommended because you are not genberally able to get a stereo recording nor do any good analysis on it. The only plus is if the video also provides some form of visual supporting evidence. that is about the only thing to say is a plus to using a camcorder for EVP. Keep in mind too that the camcorder MUST be tripodmounted. Otherwise carrying it around picks up a lot of extraneous noise which renders any audio useless as evidence.

As for location, any place is as good as any other, not much you can do to attract activity. If it is there it happens, if not, you try again another time. Keep in mind, EVP is rare. Most are false, so anyone who says they get EVPs every time they try is getting a lot of false ones. They likely are using a digital voice recorder. Those are prone to a lot of false positives due to how they work.

Regarding what to say, I prefer keying my questions and responses to the time period in play. That is if it is a civil war era battlefield, relate to that period. Play music from that era, ask war related questions, make comments as though you understand the time frame. In other words do your research first!

Ok Good thoughts! I hadn't though of location and era specific music. I live in Shepherdstown, and I was thinking Harpers Ferry would be a great place to do an investigation with the town's preservation and the fact that there was a lot that went on in the past. It's very historic.
There's also Antietam Battlefield....in fact I think that might be where I will start. But bringing music etc. out there seems kind of silly. I have a nice mp3 player that records sound without the static of my regular digital recorder. I think that might work better. The sony handycam records sound very well. I think I know who I will interview.

Sort of off topic:

I have thought of a certain ghosts name in a dream and he's possibly either a civil war soldier or a world world soldier. He said he died during 'the great war' in a dream...was wearing a blue velvet button down jacket with golden buttons and his left leg was in a cast. I do not know if he had a tall hat I think it was shorter.

He told me that he experienced the sleep paralysis I experienced during the war, and then his name was written at the bottom of the scene of my dream 'Sir William Moore' or similar. I know it started with Sir and probably then William and likely afterward Moore. Possibly Sir William Thomas Moore.

Do you think the dream confused two different wars?
"Science without the spirit is humanity without a conscience"Me“An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.”Charles Dickens Gabzyreach me here: AOL

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

Bringing music out there may seem kind of silly, but I have done exactly that at Gettysburg. I would use recordings of classic folk music from that era, Picture what a soldier might have experienced sitting around a fire at night discussing the days events. Keep in mind that it may provide a break from the battle, soldiers spent considerable time in camps before the actual battles took place. It could be a way of connecting. Worth a try.

You may also try something like that at Harper's ferry. The town has been there many years, has a railroad history as well as the raid. Worth a try to connect to those periods in history as well. Keep in mind if you use music there that periods do reflect changes in culture. Select appropriate for the period you are aiming for.

The "Sir" title to me sounds more British or royalty rather than a soldier. Generally soldiers answer by by rank / last name. So yes there could be some confusion regarding your dream, unless the time period was not related to the actual battle. This is also possible, as with any battlefield. Other things have happened there at other times besides the battle the place is known for. You may be connecting to one of those periods.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#5 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

It's worth a try. I'll do this sometime when I've got all my materials.

#6 deltapi31

deltapi31

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hi there I can try to help out on a couple " ?'s " u have. Well a full moon can be a good thing and tends to bring out paranormal activity but not always a guarantee, and how u can tell if there is someone or something in the room with u is feel for cold spots, or the hair on ur arms start to tingle and seem to stand straight up , myself I start to feel for this or I just ask for it to give me a sign that they are present. But always remember if u seek for the supernatural be positive not negative u dont want to bring something out bad.

#7 fritzthecat

fritzthecat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Good points about music! If you are doing civil war battlefields, try finding a recording of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, without lyrics. That song was adapted from a popular song specifically about John Brown from Harper's Ferry. The tune was sung by many Union soldiers.

#8 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Good points about music! If you are doing civil war battlefields, try finding a recording of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, without lyrics. That song was adapted from a popular song specifically about John Brown from Harper's Ferry. The tune was sung by many Union soldiers.

That's a great idea! ;) I have to get out there when it isn't rainy or cold and with the right equipment.

#9 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

I guess answering a question with a question is a good idea here - what would you be attracted to? Humans (at least the living ones) have a plethora of things that attract us, whether they be our physical or emotional needs.

When it comes to assessing a possible intelligent haunting, it would seem full knowledge of the history involving the location would be needed if one were to entertain the idea that the entity therein could or would be still carry some part of its past psyche with it, having the same feelings, wants and needs as it did when it was, well, like it was before.

One of my case studies has developed in such a way that we now have ideas of about 5 possible people from the past who may fit the accepted "bill" of what we think constitutes a ghost. For future trips I've tried looking for period music to play, looking for trigger items to place in various areas and monitor for interaction, all based on the general knowledge of their respective time periods. Then we will continue monitoring the location as we have before, and hope, like many others do, that these things will perk the interests of whatever is causing folks to experience what they claim.

So I'd say think about what you are attracted to now, and then consider your possible target and what they would have been attracted to when they were...as I said...not where they are now. I know I'm being rather vague, but the limits to this type of study are boundless.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#10 dvd

dvd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

chest hair, gold chains & drakkar noir

#11 bbabin5

bbabin5

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

I agree find out where you are,when the most tragic events occurred at a certain place in time. Recreate that time period using music, speeches, etc.
Brett

#12 MonstrPryncyss

MonstrPryncyss

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

I agree with CaveRat that camcorder alone is not going to provide the best evidence. A digital recorder and a tripod mounted camcorder are good tools to use together. Also, a digital recorder and a Mel Meter together are good for EVP's.

And one note *Please remember, during your investigation, if you ask for a sign such as "Close this door" or "Open this door" or "jiggle the doorknob".....point your camcorder in that direction. I'm so tired of seeing ghost hunters that ask for something specific and the camera is pointed at the wall opposite the door! When my team goes on an investigation, we try to obtain the most reliable evidence so it leaves no doubt in anyone's mind.
"Those who said it couldn't be done get out of the way of those of us who ARE doing it!"
the MonstrPryncyss

#13 bobbyjgallo

bobbyjgallo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

chest hair, gold chains & drakkar noir

Must be an Italian ghost! ... (coming from an Italian)
Watch our original paranormal web-series "Gallo Family Ghost Hunters" on blip.tv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users