I need bigtime help!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

Sorry guys i know the technical board is for GV problems only but i really need somebodys help, i have a serious problem concerning my whole system.

Ok earlier i was browsing as normal , nothing was wrong, i disconnected and then rebooted my com, but when it got to the windows welcome screen i got a message saying ''could not load user profile, it may be corrupted, please contact administrator'' I am the bloody admin!!! and then this message came up right after it ''Loading default profile, all changes made to this profile will be lost on restart'' So now everytime i reeboot my whole system is as if i just installed windows for the first time, all my stuff is still on the computer but their all just there in folders, none of them are in my programs window,i really dont know what to do. I have run Norton and it cant find anything, im currently downloading updates to see if that will do anything. Im also using the defaukt browser as my msn is asking me to set up a user account because it thinks its only just been installed. I cant use anything except get on the net. I really havent a clue as to what happened.

I would really appreciate anybodys help in to what the hell is going on guys.

I hope someone can.

thanks
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:42 AM

Your operating system files seems corrupted, and I am afraid you may need to reinstall or repair the OS.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for your input moon, and reinstalling is looking more and more likely at the moment ;) but im trying to hold off for that at the moment as i have so many files and programs that i have downloaded through the months that when your a 56k it will take me a very long time to get them back, things like yahoo / msn update/ all the updates i d/l over the months, they will take me just as long to d/l them all again, im hoping Aloha or Sammy will be able to shed some light before i resort to reinstalling windows. I downloadied the updates for norton but when i rebooted even that wasent working properly, i think i've had a serious attack on my system by some annoying virus by the looks of it. I HATE PEOPLE WHO DESIGN VIRUSES, WHY DONT THEY GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :lol: :lol: ;)
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:13 AM

It may not be entirely a virus attack. It also could be windows files being corrupted. That is why we call it MicroCrap.

Hail UNIX

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#5 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:19 AM

hey grey when was the last time you ran a defragment analysis?
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:22 AM

it was a few weeks ago boo, but im running Norton one more time to see if anything comes up, but i'll probably try that after norton has finished, but if not i'll have to reinstall, would i be able to chuck things like yahoo and other stuff onto a cd? or is it possible they will just infect my com after i reinstall everythin?

#7 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:26 AM

let me call my ma to find that out (she and her boyfriend build computers)
hold tight and well try to sort this out :)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#8 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:26 AM

thanks boo i appreciate it.

#9 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:30 AM

MrGrey have you done a disk clean up, Disk defrag, and clean up your cookies? I know I have had trouble in the past and this seemed to help out. I also run a virus scan once a day on my system. Also maybe go to your control panel and go to add remove programs .. Maybe there is something else in there that you dont want. I wish I was better at computers to help you but Im somewhat limited. Good luck and I hope you dont have to re do everything. I had to once and lost all my pictures etc...
Cathy

(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#10 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:06 AM

Maybe you can try this. I don't know if it will help you, but it's worth a shot.

Go to Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools...then click on System Restore. This will give you the option of going back in time to an earlier date, before your problem started. I was having trouble once and that did the trick.

Good luck Mr. Grey!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#11 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:47 PM

Go to Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools...then click on System Restore. This will give you the option of going back in time to an earlier date, before your problem started. I was having trouble once and that did the trick.

Yeah hope that works for you Mr.Grey, I know of times where I had to do that myself.
-Chris-

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:13 PM

Grey, I had something similar happen not too long ago, where my hardrive corrupted several clusters (about 6 in all). You have to reinstall your Operating System direct from the disk, don't worry, it doesn't erase what programs you have. Run a major scan disk (my computer did that automatically on start up, took several hours), and that will isolate those corrupt clusters. Anything that fails to work after that will have to be reinstalled because the program whole or in part were in the corrupt clusters. And look into purchasing a new harddrive. When you install that, you can transfer programs and info from the old one to the new one or use the old one as a 'slave drive'.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

First copy files from your old profile (look under c:\Documents and Settings) to a CD. Alternatively, you may copy them to a different partition on your hard disk. You probably won't be able to copy NTUSER.DAT, but Windows will recreate it anyways.

Are you able to boot into "Safe Mode" (press F-8 as Windows starts)? Once you're in Safe Mode, disable System Restore. Browse under "C:\Documents and Settings". Delete everything except "All Users", "Default User", "LocalService", "NetworkService", "Administrator", and your old good profile. At this point, run regedit and do a search for "Documents and Settings". Delete any key you find unless it references the files you spared earlier. If the key is under HKEY_USERS, delete the main key (IOW, delete that temporary user). Now run a malware (spyware, virus, worm, trojan, etc) check on your entire hard disk.

After taking care of the malware, defragment your hard disk. Defrag will increase your disk's seek time, giving you better performance.

Finally, reboot in "Normal Mode" and turn on "System Restore". At this point, if the problem persists, I would suggest reinstalling Windows.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#14 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

here's my advice Mr Grey, GET A MAC! LOL!

Sorry to hear about your computer woes, and hope you get everything back up and running soon! I know what a pain it is too be paralyzed like that!

:D :P ;) :) :)
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#15 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

I forgot about the possibility of bad clusters, so check out Vamp's advice.

Bridget, not everyone can afford a Mac. Personally, half the software I use doesn't have a viable counter-part on OS X.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users