Java Script

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:36 PM

This might help get IE installed correctly.

From Microsoft.

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer

#32 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

I will try this and see what it does as I have already done the rest. Thanks Sammy! :weeee:
-Chris-

#33 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:47 PM

I have tested the process on a Win XP Pro machine that I knew was completely upgraded and it did reinstal IE and a load of other fixes for IE. It might help you out sin.

#34 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

One quick note: You are strongly urged to reinstall your operating system when you upgrade your CPU chip. In fact, Windows XP will make you re-activate at the very least.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#35 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

Were is REG_DWORD at? I cannont find it at all.
-Chris-

#36 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

I am just going to install this: http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html and get rid of my IE and reinstall it and see if that help, as before I do not think I got rid of it fully.
-Chris-

#37 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

Were is REG_DWORD at? I cannont find it at all.

REG_DWORD is a type of data that can be stored in the registry. It is not a key.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#38 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

I am just going to install this: http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html and get rid of my IE and reinstall it and see if that help, as before I do not think I got rid of it fully.

Thanks Alloha! I didn't catch the last post. IE is embeded within Windows XP. There is no way to get rid of it completely. Thats one reason so many people brought up court casses against Microsoft. Its the browser that just wont go away! Its like a nasty ghost that you think its gone but BOO! it pops back up to scare you.! :)

#39 Sinestro

Sinestro

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

Well I have now Isolated my problem down to what is causing it, all but one site does not work for me, which is this site: http://www.insightce...ures-video.html

I talked to Jona who is a acquaintance of mine and is a Programmer/Web Designer and I asked him for help on this, and this is what he had to say.

Based on the snapshot of the error you sent me, though, I can tell you that the problem is JavaScript. The error you got was notifying you of an error in a JavaScript in the Web page you were viewing -- the error was about the calling of an undefined variable.

Also, Java is not JavaScript. You downloaded Java from Sun Microsystems' web site, not Javascript. JavaScript comes with Windows, and the Windows Update will update the JavaScript on your computer whenever it is necessary.

If you use Norton Antivirus, completely disable it, and then try the sites you mentioned again. If they work, get McAfee Antivirus instead. Norton is known to cause all sorts of problems including disabling active scripting without your permission. Norton does this in order to be "more secure," but in all actuality JavaScript is not what is insecure; it is Internet Explorer that is insecure (and that has a lot to do with its implementation of ActiveX controls which give a web site complete access to your computer).

You do, beyond the shout of a doubt, have JavaScript enabled, otherwise the site would not have triggered an error. Try any of the sites you're having trouble with again, but use Firefox this time, and tell me if it works. They worked for me, so I would be surprised if they didn't work for you. I don't think there is a Windows setting that disables all active scripting (not ActiveX, mind you) for any applications, and since Firefox is not a Microsoft product, Windows' settings should not affect it anyway. Therefore, if it doesn't work in Firefox for you, somehow either an option in Firefox must have been altered or you have a program on your computer that is affecting all of your web browsers.

Then I replied to him and he said this:

Firefox doesn't bring up a box or anything when there are errors in JavaScript. It hides them. Sometimes it will self-fix JavaScript errors. For example, the proprietary document.all object may be referred to. This is an IE-only object, but Firefox copes with it and replaces it with the W3 standardized document.getElementById() or some other method that is appropriate. This way, Firefox is more compatible with sites that were not created with standardization in mind. (And, yes, that would be every site you linked to; none of them use valid HTML, let alone use HTML properly.)

The InsightCentral Honda Insight Gallery with the videos works fine for me. I see no reason why it shouldn't work for you... You should try contacting Microsoft or consulting a "computer issues" forum.

Also, about the triple-SMALL tag use. I'm guessing that each time you add a SMALL tag the text becomes smaller. However, that's not a semantic way to say "<small 3x>" Instead, you should use a tag for its meaning. If the SMALL tag is appropriate, and it may be since the text is to have the least emphasis on the page, but the size of font it makes it not appropriate, then stylesheets should be used.

<small style="font-size: xx-small">
-Chris-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users