• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

I was wondering if anyone had ever stayed in the Cavalier Hotel in Virginia Beach...the old part, that is. It is almost like a real life Shining, in a way. The hotel opened in the twenties and was once a gem of Virginia Beach (Va Beach is now somewhat touristy/tacky).

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. I just moved to the area and have noticed the old building...it is an imposing brick structure. It even has topiaries like on the shining.

In its heyday, many stars and infamous figures stayed here, to include Fatty Arbucle, Betty Grable, and the gangster Al Capone. In 1929 Adolph Coors (founder of the yucky beer company) fell to his death mysteriously from a sixth floor window. This is known fact. He was eighty two. The first owner shot himself on the premises.

The interior is supposedly quite beautiful, and I am considering checking it out as a
site for my wedding reception. Problem is, there seem to be so many bad vibes associated with it. At least two people died horrible deaths there. Then Al Capone stayed...Kennedy stayed there (a tragic figure, I would say)...Nixon stayed there...Fatty Arbucle ...I do not know what else went on in the place, but it seems like a lot of the people that stayed there had horrid luck later in life. I am not saying this was because of the hotel, but I was just wondering about residual effects.

The hotel closed sometime in the seventies or sixties, but was opened back up later due to outcry...it is a beautiful piece of history. Reviewers have likened a dining room there to something out of the Shining. Sounds kinda scary.

Any been there or stayed thefre? Would love info. I will post a picture of it.
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

#2 MJH

MJH

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I've never stayed there, but I used to live down the street from the place. I went in there one time, and yeah, it's pretty real. You can just feel presences around you.

I just came across this pic I took of the place a while back and posted it on another web site. I was telling people about all the stories I heard about the place, like about Al Capone. I think I remember hearing that Al Capone died there. But I thought Al Capone died in prison? I'm not sure. But when I went to Google that I came across this post.

The page where I posted this pic at is:
The Old Cavalier Hotel on the Hill. Is it Haunted?

#3 MAL

MAL

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

I have stayed in the old part. I also swam in the original pool when i was a little girl (early 90s) and saw a ghost! She was a hotel cleaning woman...if that's what you'd call her. Dressed in attire from the early 1900's. There's an overpass that goes over the swimming pool and that's what she walked across.

#4 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

I used to live there in the mid to late 70's on 9th and Pacific. The apartments were between Atlantic and Pacific. It seems to me they were closing down the old Cavalier about the time I was moving out from VaBch around 80 or 81. They were building a new Cavalier.

I think it's great they reopened the old one. It was always a hive of paranormal activity. It was almost like a ghost version of the world's fair.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#5 VaGhostKid

VaGhostKid

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Yeah I heard a lot of stories too. I tried to make reservations, but I don't know whats happening. I tried every day up until next August and nothing is open. Will let you know what happens with that though.

#6 MJH

MJH

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Actually, it wasn't Al Capone who died at the Cavalier. It was Adolf Coors who jumped to his own death on June 5, 1929. I'm pretty sure it was from the 6th floor, but I can't find any conformation on that right now. http://hamptonroads....-cavalier-hotel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users