• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

Simply because its missing from this post I am going to add this.
KII meters are another way to communicate with spirits. Because they're so sensitive a spirit can be easily taught to set it off once or twice for yes or no answers, or a specific number of times for a numeric answer.

That's actually what I was asking earlier.. What would make them more "sensitive" than any other EMF meter? Couldn't any other EMF meter, like the Electrosensor, be used the same way?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

They really aren't any more sensitive. I've managed to make my other AC field meters act just like the KII by operating leaving a cell phone searching for a signal near it and also keying a Motorola two-way walkie near it. And where there is no proven way to communicate with spirits, the KII has grown in popularity because it has neat flashing lights and was rather cheap when Chris Fleming began marketing it as a "ghost communicator". I think I've said it here before - the KII has seen at least a 150% jump in price since my old team bought one three-ish years ago, and not as a way to "talk to spirits". Back then it was $29, but now you will see people selling this thing on eBay for upwards of $100.

Like Frank's Box, it's just another way for somebody to try and part the layman ghost hunter from their hard earned money.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#18 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

These meters are all about the same sensitivity, and most of the common ones are not well shielded against outside intereference which makes them prone to false activation. Fo those looking for a good meter (and RF spectrum analyzer as a plus.) consider a Spectran NF 5030. It will work in several modes and would be a nice step up to a professional grade instrument. There are several versions at different price points, so compare to suit your needs.

http://www.spectran.com

And unload your K-!! on eBAy to the ghostbusters who want to dream about contacting spirits with it.....

#19 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

Wow.. Is that 200 pounds and up? If so..that's not joining my arsenal anytime soon. Though they do appear to have quite the impressive range. And I dig the analysis software they've got for them, too.

Thanks for the info, guys and gals.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Preacher13

Preacher13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

The KII is not special. Search for the ELF Meter, which is about $13 and does exactly the same thing.

What you need to remember with these is that these meters are easily manipulated with a cell phone or a walkie talkie. If you turn the sound off on your walkie and keep it in your pocket, you can make the KII react every time you push the talk button.

This is a very easy way to falsify evidence and spirit communication, so please be aware of this when you see results that may just be too good to be true.

If you wanted to have a fake communication with the dead on camera, for example, someone could be right off camera doing this and it would appear legit. Just something to keep in mind and to help everyone maintain some objectivity.

#21 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

The KII is not special. Search for the ELF Meter, which is about $13 and does exactly the same thing.

What you need to remember with these is that these meters are easily manipulated with a cell phone or a walkie talkie. If you turn the sound off on your walkie and keep it in your pocket, you can make the KII react every time you push the talk button.

This is a very easy way to falsify evidence and spirit communication, so please be aware of this when you see results that may just be too good to be true.

If you wanted to have a fake communication with the dead on camera, for example, someone could be right off camera doing this and it would appear legit. Just something to keep in mind and to help everyone maintain some objectivity.

Ive used both rods and pendulums but take their results with a grain of salt. A KII meter has the same reliability I am sure. It is great fun though and newbys get such a kick out of it. ELF meters start at about $25 but they don't have the lights, much better show with the lights. Plus the emf meter I had made a horrible buzzing. Didn't like it and gave it away.

Did I mention the case I had where the spirits communicated by tapping? They had long conversations with the living in the house using one, two or even three taps for answers. They were heartbroken when I showed them that the tapping was coming from a water pipe, was completely random and stopped when I turned of the water at the main. I imagine the answers for KII meters could be quite similar.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#22 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

I am well aware of how select electronics affect EMF detectors, however walkies and cell phones are not an issue with my work. I don't allow my team to employ either during investigations, period.

So far as the KII being more exciting for the newcomers, I would think the ElectroSensor would be even more so, since it utilizes more LEDs for a larger readout. Unfortunately, until TAPS shows one of these on TV, everyone will think they're inferior to the all powerful KII.. :ghost:

My question regarding the KII was just if it was sensitive to some specific range that other EMF meters may not be - but this has been answered now. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Edited by GPPI_JMe, 21 December 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Preacher13

Preacher13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

I think the ELF must have gone up in price.

If anyone wants one, here's a link for it at $15:

http://www.ghosthunt...auss-meter.html

It has three lights, look at the picture. I may be mistaken though, I've actually never used one.

Anyway, I agree with you both. I have a KII and it's fine if you control the environment, I just wanted to point out how these results could be created. It's no better or worse than most simple EMF meters without actual numbers.

I didn't know the ELF meter buzzes, lol, that's funny. Wouldn't be so great if you're recording audio too.

Right now, my favorite meter is the Mel Meter 8704. Just came out in October, it has an illuminated readout and records and displays ambient temperature at the same time, which is very cool. It uses a digital K-Type thermocouple, which I think is best for temp reading. The illuminated readout also doubles as a low level flashlight.

Check it out:

http://stores.ghostc...EW**/Detail.bok

We have two on my team now.

Edited by Preacher13, 21 December 2008 - 01:32 PM.

#24 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

I'm not sure she meant her ELF meter buzzed, I think she just meant the meter she uses. I'd be willing to bet that she was either referring to the token "Ghost Meter," which is the Cell Sensor, or the Gauss Master. The audible noise is nice so you know there is an increase in mG, but it can definitely be annoying - especially with doing audio work simultaneously.

The Mel Meter looks like a great starting piece of equipment. I don't quite get that it was just released in October, though. I discussed this unit with someone back in March..but perhaps it wasn't out yet, just the details on it were? Either way, a digital EMF meter and good thermocouple, for that price, are great. Plus the ability to lock highs and lows, and the backlight, make it a good deal.

However, I'm not convinced it's the best for temperature reading.. I still stand by the TIF 7000. Change out solid, liquid and ambient air probes, and the ability to measure the temperature of the air three times a second kinda of put the type K in second place, in my opinion. But, the TIF is generally much pricier than the Mel Meter alone, and does not have a built EMF meter or backlight. Each with their ups and downs, I'd still be interested in owning a Mel Meter at some point. Less equipment to carry when short handed on investigations.

Mr Jim - I'd like to know your thoughts on this meter:
http://www.alibaba.c..._1MHz_8GHz.html

Just another glorified EMF meter with LEDs, or would this be comparable to the earlier unit you suggested? I realize, cost being a factor, it probably isn't as nice..but one never knows unless they ask. :whoohoo:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Preacher13

Preacher13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

I have a "Ghost Meter" too and I actually think it's fine. I've actually know nothing about the thermometer you're talking about. I'll check it out, but honestly, it's probably too expensive in relation to my needs. I don't use my thermometers that much, especially before it was built into the Mel. I always had a hard time juggling my old K Type and my other devices.

I'll look up the one you mentioned though. Definitely sounds cool.

I could be wrong about when the Mel came out. The site I bought it from said October, but who knows? Maybe it was October 2007, for all I know! I hadn't heard of it until recently though.

#26 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure she meant her ELF meter buzzed, I think she just meant the meter she uses. I'd be willing to bet that she was either referring to the token "Ghost Meter," which is the Cell Sensor, or the Gauss Master. The audible noise is nice so you know there is an increase in mG, but it can definitely be annoying - especially with doing audio work simultaneously.

The Mel Meter looks like a great starting piece of equipment. I don't quite get that it was just released in October, though. I discussed this unit with someone back in March..but perhaps it wasn't out yet, just the details on it were? Either way, a digital EMF meter and good thermocouple, for that price, are great. Plus the ability to lock highs and lows, and the backlight, make it a good deal.

However, I'm not convinced it's the best for temperature reading.. I still stand by the TIF 7000. Change out solid, liquid and ambient air probes, and the ability to measure the temperature of the air three times a second kinda of put the type K in second place, in my opinion. But, the TIF is generally much pricier than the Mel Meter alone, and does not have a built EMF meter or backlight. Each with their ups and downs, I'd still be interested in owning a Mel Meter at some point. Less equipment to carry when short handed on investigations.

Mr Jim - I'd like to know your thoughts on this meter:
http://www.alibaba.c..._1MHz_8GHz.html

Just another glorified EMF meter with LEDs, or would this be comparable to the earlier unit you suggested? I realize, cost being a factor, it probably isn't as nice..but one never knows unless they ask. :whoohoo:

I have not used the meter you mentioned, but did take a look at the specs. I was not impressed on two counts. First, its low end bandpass is 1 mHz. That leaves out a large area of the RF spectum that it fails to cover. I would like to see something that has the ability to cover down to 50 - 100 kHz. even if that requires a different band. The dynamic range is also low. While the low level is adequate, the specs do not say what happens in the presence of a signal above its dynamic range. Distortion? Birdies? Invalid harmonics? Doesn't say how the power bandwidth is limited so I can't say what would happen under those conditions.

Without actually seeing one of these I can't make a call on construction techniques and overall quality of workmanship. Memory and storage capabiliies are much less than the one I mentioned previously, of course that would be expected considering the price difference. It likely is a case of you get what you pay for. As a comparison with a KII, it covers the bands above the KII, but does not cover the lower bands the KII does. Thus the two are not really the same in that regard according to specs published by both companies..

#27 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like it's most likely a waste. Thanks for the input, Jim.
Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users