Do Gods have rules?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:22 PM

There are a couple of term in LdS theology which relate to this thread.

Eternal Round:  A god forms a world and creates physical bodies for his children.  After proving faithful, some of these spirit children become gods who repeat the cycle with the next generation.

Eternal Progression:  The idea that we continue to progress in knowledge and power throughout the eternities.

My personal belief is that there are layers and levels of "natural" laws.  Every level explains how to manipulate lower laws.  Every plane of existence is governed by corresponding laws.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#17 WolfSong

WolfSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:14 AM

ooh, theology.  lol.  Gotta love it.  Wow, so many questions to address here...where do I start!

Well, with God I suppose...

The God of Classical Theism (Christian God) is Omnipotent (all-powerful), Omniscient( all-knowing) and Omnibenevolent (all-loving)...reason I've used big nasty words here is I have been taught to and now I find it easier to use them than to just say !all-powerful"...what can I say?  I'm lazy ;).  If I use any other weird terms lmk :)  One of the joys of studying the ubject is that you have to learn abunch of weird terms ;).

Basically, one of the many problems when it comes to thinking about God is that we anthropomorphise him - we give him human attributes.  Some people argue that we cannot *know* God or realise his full potential because he is metaphysical and we are merely physical (kind of like the relationship mentioned between dimensions).  Of course others argue that we can know God through religious experience, etc so there's always 2 sides to every coin :).

As to who created God - no one created him.  He exists outside of time and space and has always existed and will always continue to exist (that's the idea anyhow).

As for God making mistakes, it is technically impossible for him to make a mistake because he is perfect.

Also, in response to whoever said a God/Goddess cannot create something out of nothing - if you believe in the God of Classical Theism the yeah he can, because he created all of it in the first place.

Now, onto the dimensions...it is my belief that there are an infinite number of dimensions in this universe...there is a theory on this (a scientific one) which says these dimensions lay parallel to one another, which is why we are unable to visit them.  Time is meant to move in a straight line but it doesn't...I need to research that more.  Been ages since I dug around in the weird world of Quantum Physics :).

Anyhow, my personal belief is that yeah, in another dimension you could be dating Brad Pitt or whatever...each universe is linked to another - it doesn't matter how infintesimally small the link is, but they are all linked in some way...kind of like genes.  All creatures evolved from the same origins...we have the same number of base pairs, etc, but we have all become radically different.

So theoretically things which to us are fictional in another dimension exist as reality.  It's like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Did the idea generate the dimension or did the dimension generate the idea?

Now there's something to think about :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users