• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

This is not so much a "ghost" story but scary and mysterious none the less...
...back in 1993 from October 6th until I moved to Pompano Bch. Jan. 2nd of 1994, I lived east of Orlando between Union Park and Bithlo off of (south of) "Colonial pkwy"(rt. 50). There is a lot of typical central Florida wilderness down there in fact the area I lived in formed a bottle-neck of sorts of civilization with a whole lotta untamed central Fla. wildlands to the north and south. I was staying with family friends temporarily until I was to get my own place. They had (as many do in Florida) a trailer with another one attached perpendicular at the ends (L shaped). My room was at the end of the guest trailer (stop laughing they were quite comfortable and well kept)with my bed at the end of the trailer. All in all I lived there only 3 months and the first 2 months approximately went okay...getting aquainted with Florida weather and culture and stuff. Right around the beginning of December I started hearing strange very gutteral growling sounds outside of the window at the end of the trailer. Very low but very gutteral and very persistant. At first I thought it was one of the dogs belonging to our neighbors behind us. Maybe they hung out at the back of their property (there was a high chain-link fence mostly covered in Kudzu, a form of Japanese ivy I believe, dividing the properties. ) and wasn't used to someone inhabiting the guest trailer or something. Both dogs were I believe Golden retriever mixes and well- tempered animals. This went on for about a week and a half, every night. At first I wasn't too concerned. I just started to wonder why either of these otherwise well-tempered dogs would be behaving in such a way. Then one night I thought I heard BOTH dogs barking ferociously UP BY THEIR OWNER'S HOUSE. I mentioned the occurences to one of my hosts in a manner suggesting it was one of the dogs growling like that and my host told me that both dogs were on runners because they didn't have a fence all the way around the property and the runners DIDN'T GO ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY. In fact only about halfway, to a large tree. I  checked the next day and sure enough....at this point I was getting rather anxious. Not really terrified until about mid-December when I stopped ignoring it and would open the curtains and jalousey window and shine my flashlight and pretend I was shooing a stray dog in case anybody noticed me. The window next to my bed was like 10 feet max from the fence and no matter what I did, it just kept on like that every night. I'd look at the area near the fence in the daytime and nothing seemed amiss. I started to really get scared. This wasn't good. I can't fully describe the sound. It was more like sensing something rather than just hearing it. I know that sounds stupid. There was a hatred there, an intelligence, I swear. About almost 2 weeks before I moved, the family friends sort of inherited a dog from a friend of theirs. It was a medium to large sized 2 yr. old beautiful Akita/Yellow Lab mix male named "Tramper". There was already a tie out attached to my trailer guess where? right outside my bedroom. That's where Tramper was "stationed" (he liked to hide out under the trailer when it rained). Whatever it was was gone the first night with Tramper out there. Let me tell you, that dog was my hero as far as I'm concerned. I've since moved further south to Pompano bch. for 8 months then back here to NE Ohio back to my family and friends. Thankfully I've never heard anything like that since. Anyone feel free to e-mail me on the issue.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:15 AM

welcome to GV, Grantra

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

This is Grantra. My e-mail address is.....grantra71@hotmail.com. I thought it would be posted with my post.

#4 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:30 AM

Thanks, MoonChild.

#5 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:49 AM

Hi Grantra,

First of all, welcome to the Village, if people want to e-mail you they can click on your name and pull your address off your profile. I don't think your story sounds
"stupid" at all. I used to live in a Mountain area town, and I am wondering, was there ever any signs of Opposums or Racoons where you lived? I know from experience that not only are these two hard to spot (especially at night) but that they, to me at least, are the closest thing thing to pure evil I have ever come across. I also know that they tend to disappear when a dog shows up. Have there been aby other occuances? Either way, there is nothing like a dog to make you feel safe as well as unconditonaly loved.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#6 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:08 AM

In response to MykieDave I have to say that growing up in NE Ohio I have heard both opossum and racoons doing just about everything they do including fighting and mating (sometimes the same..lol)and opossum especially can growl rather low and menacing and Florida has both opossum and racoons, however, You'd think the flashlight would if not scare them away, at least illuminate the reflective surface of their night eyes. Plus you'd have to hear it to know what I mean but the sound suggested a deeper lung capacity and larger larynx than a smallish woodland creature. Believe me I'd love NOTHING more for it to have been a 'possum or raccoon and it may have been but the element of intelligent malevolence was there, you know what I mean? I guess the closest I can compare it to is let's say a dog growls and barks at you. You could be on it's turf, it could be ill, or hungry or whatever other instinctive reason. Now let's say a man you never met before walks up to you and threatens your life either directly or indirectly. It's a whole different feel, you know?

And as far as Tramper, for all the pets I've ever had he was my favorite and he was only there for 2 weeks while I was there and he wasn't even mine!! lol.

#7 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:17 AM

I know the feeling well. My favorite pet was my folks dog, who I got to know only on visits from college. Maybe some larger animal. I know the racoons in Big Bear couldn't be scared off with anything less the high explosives... and I know what you mean about the sounds (snickers). I wish I had a better explination. BTW I used to perform on the road alot so oddly enough I DO know what it's like to be seriously threatened by a stranger. However in all my evperiences, most spirits aren't scared off by animals, usualy it's the other way around. :) Glad to know that nothing followed you though.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#8 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:27 AM

You make a good point about spirits not being scared of by animals, vice versa. Thats why I'm more inclined to believe it may have been Animal X. Fill in the blank. I doubt it was what is known as the "Skunk Ape" of Florida because this thing sounded downright canine and sasquatch/skunk ape/bigfoot behavior doesn't seem consistent at all with my experience from what I've read about them. Another possibility is a coyote but man if you could have only heard this thing it sounded so BAD_WORD malevolent. Animals don't reason or think in the absract, you know? They go on instincts, period. Imagine if you get close to a demon and reach for his cat o' nine tails, the growl of warning you MIGHT get as you hand gets closer....

#9 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

Southern FL does still have some big cats I'll try to remember to ask my husband he spent some time in Pompano Beach a little before then and Homewood too I believe
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#10 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:44 AM

Dear Lord, this sounds like something outta 'Cujo', lol. Man, now I SERIOUSLY have to give some credit to all those government 'experiment' theories I read in my Koontz books, lol. I mean, yeah it's one thing to think it's a coyote or big cat, but seriously, I've always heard that no matter how big or wooly, animals have an innate fear of humans...and if that thing did NOT budge after you tried to shoo it away, and you felt THREATENED by it, my take is that it is NOT an ordinary animal. Gosh, that thought just gave me the willies! ;D

Curiously, have you ever gone back to investigate?

#11 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:17 AM

In regards to Shellas 13, I'm a HUGE Koontz fan and now you just opened up a whole new eerie possibility!! I'm not kidding either. Masquerade suggested possibly a Florida Panther and that's actually a very distinct possibility, however, this was in central Florida not southern (there's still the possibility it was a fla. panther)and Shellas13 makes a good point that it wouldn't shoo away especially with the flashlight and don't forget, this went on for about 3 weeks. What wild animal (that we know of)healthy or ill or wounded even, would hang around in obvious human territory, be gone in the day, only to return each and every night to sit there and growl like that for 3 weeks? There was no trash kept back there, there was never any sign of urine or droppings or even tracks or flattening of foliage.  

#12 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:39 AM

Shellas13 I never answered your question, no I haven't been down there since and Our family friend (his wife died about 2 yrs. ago, natural death) still lives down there and I've never heard about anything strange happening from him (I also never mentioned my experience to him, or anyone besides here for obvious reasons).  

#13 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:47 AM

This is just a thought, maybe you should contact a local zoo to see if there are any endiginious (sp) animals that might exhibit that behavior. Possibly mating season? I know how I sound, so I guess it's possible ;)

#14 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

Well, Grantra, for your sake, I hope that this was a once in a lifetime occurance! ;D But seriously, now that I think about it, it DOES sound like something straight out of a Kootnz novel, don't it? I mean, no droppings, no urine, or even footsteps, and you heard it growling for THREE weeks non-stop?? And even if Mykie's theory was true, and it WAS an escaped animal, don't you think that it would be out trying to get a date rather than sit there and make you feel like bearbait?? lol But it's the non-fear factor of the 'animal' that's making me cringe to be honest, and why it chose to be AT your place night after night. I just think about that story of squirrels and racoons just standing there, staring...no emotion or fear in their dead eyes...BLECH! lol Curiously, WAS there some sort of lab nearby or something? Not that you'd necessarily KNOW, of course, lol, but in my thoughts if it WAS an escaped animal, it didn't come from no ZOO! ;D

#15 Grantra

Grantra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:27 AM

Yeah, I agree Shellas. I don't know of any labs or anything like that but I was only there for 3 months and you're right, the general public obviously wouldn't know about such a place. If you say, okay on this side, it's an escaped experimental creature from a top-secret bio-weapons lab....or...on this side, it was a wounded and or ill panther or coyote, I'd say more likey it was the latter but you never know. Plus the fact of WE WANT IT TO BE A KNOWN CREATURE THAT WE HAVE INTEL ON AND KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH....I agree with you 'though, thank God it was a one time thing, well it's been 11 years now anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users