• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 02:15 PM

This has always been a case that's intrigued me as much as its confused me, because<speaking strictly for myself>when I think "haunted" as in inanimate object, I tend to think Possession which makes me think Supernatural in origin...which causes a lot more confusion, you know, I go all to [smiley=cwm28.gif]

So, Gentles, how do you define it? Is it a matter of very powerful residual emotions that kind of permeate the object in question? Is it a deliberate transferrance of life force
at the time of death to an inanimate object, for whatever reason? Whether this is fear/uncertainty over what comes next or just a genuine attachment to the object in life, be it sentimental value or the pleasure it gave. This in itself is kind of interesting, the Romans had a long standing tradition of breathing in the last breath of a family member or loved one*absorbing the soul*Is it a matter of physical environment??

What do you think?

Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 lmackey

lmackey

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:33 AM

Hmmmmm... although I have no experiences with a haunted item, I would think from the information I have seen, that it is alittle of all of the above.  In some cases I do think it is a residual, but in other cases I hear of a shadow form accompning  the item and thus I tend to think of those as more of an attachment to the item.  I could also see as in a child's toy becoming haunted the fear factor being the root. Even adults see a child's teddy bear as a source of comfort, no matter our age, we can associate comfort with a toy or blanket.  I think it all depends on the circumstances, every haunt is differnt as is every spirit, so it is hard to throw them all in to a bucket and call them just one thing.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:39 PM

whispers, i think that residual energy is the biggest culprit of all when it comes to "haunted" objects or object with a strong vibe.

it CAN happen that the spirit is attached to an object at the time of death, but more often than not, a part of the spirit - "energy" if you will, gets impressed upon a particular object and it becomes inherently yours this way.  

this kind of thing is something i get all the time in resale shops or antique stores... even in salvage yards.  some objects just carry energy from the original owner or a past owner, and it happens in varying degrees.

you'll remember the stories about my sewing machine, the tub in my parents' house, and a number of other objects in my posession.  
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#4 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:24 AM

Haunted's kind of a misleading term, since it implies some sort of intelligence or interactive nature...or the ability to interact.

Personally, I think its the residual emotion from the previous owner, LMac and Owlie, those were outstandingly good examples and Owlie-I confess, as I was typing I was thinking of your sewing machine and hoping you'd respond, my friend :-* LMac, I was also thinking of an example of a child's toy.

A family goes to an estate sale and picks up a particularly appealing teddy bear for their 6 year old son. Unbeknownst to them, the previous family quarrelled constantly, loud and
full of fury, their own son*age 5*was unusually traumatized and would hide in his closet, curled in a foetal position, clutching the bear and terrified as Mum and Da went at it like a pair of T-Rexes and sure they'd get rid of him-its not uncommon for small children to internalize blame in such
circumstances-Lets presume that there's a tiff, a quarrel over something minor, a higher than normal charge or hubby wanting to buy a FLAIR infrared system, little Tommy, who's normally a happy and carefree lad, bolts to the closet, dragging Rollo the bear and starts rocking, clutching the bear...curiouser and curiouser
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#5 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:21 PM

we have alot of atique stuff in our house from all over the country i think people whom have owned the object before do leave energy behind on it and come back to see it at times. hells bells i'll be very sad when i die to leave my stuff behind. if i had my choice i'd want everything burned with me. i'm selffish i guess you can say and don't want others enjoying my stuff. is this normal? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#6 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:57 PM

Hi, Rattie,
I think that's why people have wills, you leave stuff to people you really like or as kind of an ironic p*&s off message to someone you don't like...you know, the money clip
or piggy bank to the person who always borrows money but never bothers to pay you back ;D WOW...always saw myself as being too mean to die, but that's a good idea.

Anyway, Rattie, I agree about the energy, whether its an emotion or part of the lifeforce but it is there

#7 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:16 AM

I feel that if the person held the object as somewhat of a favorite item of theirs they may upon the time of death attach their spirit to it, in a moment of confusion.  For they may not relize they are dead and they go for something that holds some thread of memories for them. :)

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:20 AM

I would have to say....... errrrr.... I dunno?????  ;D

My own personal childhood experience certainly made it seem that way!  Gut instinct says no, but I question that instinct.  I my instance, why the heck would a spirit or person be attached to a picture, and then only present themselves to one person?

I think Whisper commented on that reason before in some other thread awhile ago.  Maybe my subconscious just got the attention of that one person.  ???
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#9 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

Hi, Ghosthunter1010,
Interesting theory and I can actually see that in a few given circumstances, this may get a little too esoteric, so be warned, uncertainty at time of death-what's going to happen/where am I going/is there a god or the fact that the person's just stubborn. The other possibility is fear of Judgment/Reckoning

Hey, Ankthra, through our posted discussions which I've enjoyed immensely, I've gathered that your sensitive or strongly latently aware of such energies. My own theory is that they recognize this ability and attempt to make contact. Its a bit of a fallacy, of course, the ability to perceive does not always include the ability to aid, but we try :)

#10 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:59 AM

My own theory is that they recognize this ability and attempt to make contact. Its a bit of a fallacy, of course, the ability to perceive does not always include the ability to aid, but we try :)

i think i agree with this - i've only run across two objects to which more or less "sentient" energies were attached... both of these objects have been discussed at length here at gv, so i'll not repeat.

more often than not, most objects with "attached energy" are just that - i can go into a resale shop or the goodwill or an antique store and sense that something was a dearly held object, a favorite piece of jewelry, a part of a painful memory, something with no significance at all.  this is far more common than "haunted" objects or very emotionally "charged" objects that are attached to a wandering spirit.  

but, of course, this is just personal experience gleaned from years of window shopping and "reading" ojbects for sale.

#11 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:29 PM

*LOL*I read ya, Owlie, I've only handled objects like that and the associated feelings were usually angry/negative so I passed, it does kind of raise an intriguing question, can you help a previous owner by buying an item and channelling positive energy into it?

I think the sewing machine is terribly cool, the original owner just wanted a like minded person, an artist, a warm and kindly person :-* Let me know if this is embarrassing you, Owlie

#12 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:15 PM

oh, not at all!  you'd have to try very hard to embarass me! :)

yeah, the sewing machine was one of those things where i think the original owner wanted to sew, but just didn't have the skill to produce the work she wanted.  in my hands, it's like she's getting the satisfaction she always wanted to have by using it.

i don't know that helping someone backward through an object could happen that often; in the case of the tub, the spirit manifested and allowed me to help her... in the case of an "angry" pocketwatch or necklace... well, i think it would depend.

the large jewel that my family has that came from post-bombing hiroshima is a case that i feel is a bit different, though.  i always feel that if i take the jewel back and throw it into the shinto shrine at hiroshima, the spirit that "owns" it will be satisfied and happy.

that's another story, tho.

#13 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:19 PM

THAT is a very intriguing possibility, Owlie! Is it an heirloom piece that had been in Dr. Owl's<Dr Rooster?>family
for several generations*prior to WWII*or was it a post war purchase?

#14 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:29 PM

THAT is a very intriguing possibility, Owlie! Is it an heirloom piece that had been in Dr. Owl's<Dr Rooster?>family
for several generations*prior to WWII*or was it a post war purchase?

oh gosh, i only wish it were so!

i'm going to have to say no... this was from MY side of the family.  my dad's step-dad was in the clean-up crew that went in to raze the ruins of hiroshima after the bomb was dropped.  dad's step-da was a bit of a meanie.  more than just a bit - but that's another story entirely.

dad'st step-da lifted this giant square cut stone from the rubble - we've had it appraised and it's worth quite a lot (i can't remember exactly what it is, but it is enormous).  i get a very scary feeling every time i touch it - it's like touching terror.  

my dad (jokingly) suggested that i make it into a necklace for my wedding (this was several years ago) and i protested, citing the feeling that i got from it.  i've had dreams about the owner - since i'm so far from it now, i don't dream about it at all, but i do get the feeling that it wants to be returned to japan.  

i may be nuts, here, but that's the best thing i can think to do with it.  give it a resting place.

#15 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:37 AM

Owlie, I think that's not only a very viable, but a very compassionate solution as far as the stone goes! I totally believe its possible that its carrying the residual emotions of the last of its original<Japanese that is>owner, I can only imagine what he was feeling as the mushroom cloud engulfed the horizon over Hiroshima and stone's a wonderful conduit/storer. If I may ask, does your husband still have family back in Japan to whom you could possibly send it?

I'm not endorsing what your Da's step did, but it wasn't uncommon to take souvenirs as spoils of war without realizing they were literally inviting things back with them, its still not right of course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users