Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Flying . ;D
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#32 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 01:43 PM

Folks, in my next column, which comes out Saturday, June 28, I interview James Randi about his views, and what it takes to win his million dollar challenge.

He's quite a character to talk to.

If you're not already signed up on the mailing list, you can do so here: http://www.ghostvill...subscribe.shtml
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#33 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 20 June 2003 - 05:34 PM

This should be good!!! ;D
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#34 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up Jeff, I'll be looking forward to the read.

#35 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:22 AM

Welcome PygmyPlaidGiraffe,

Glad you dropped in.  For general edification, can you give an example of what Mr. Randi would consider a double blind test?   :)

Flyingorb, for a brief description of what a double blind test is, check out this link: http://www.skepdic.com/control.html

I'll see if I can find specific examples in tests that Randi has overseen by searching his weekly commentary archives - it may take a while though. As a general rule it'll go something like this:
A dowser says he can detect water using dowsing rods. He agrees to a test in which a volume of water is placed within one of ten sealed containers. These containers would be given an ID by an independent third party and randomly arranged such that only this third party knows which container holds the water. The dowser would then attempt to detect the water, overseen by another group who will ensure the tests are carried out correctly. In this way, neither the dowser nor the 'test overseers' would be aware of where the water was. Once the dowser has identified which container he thinks holds the water, the third party will be brought in to reveal whether the 'guess' was correct.

#36 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:20 PM

Thanks Jim, well your example sounds fair-minded to me.  If someone really has the ability, this test would be easy as pie.

Thanks for the link too. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#37 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:57 PM

Flyingorb, <snip>

I'll see if I can find specific examples in tests that Randi has overseen by searching his weekly commentary archives - it may take a while though. <snip>

I promised you a clear example of a JREF double-blind test, FlyingOrb - and here it is: Randi's suggestion of a protocol for testing Penta water. It's towards the bottom of the page - Randi's response to the Penta water seller's recommendation of the use of a Bio Impedance Analyzer. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jim

#38 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

Still seems reasonable to me.  

Smaller clusters of water indeed!  Even ice is more of a crystal lattace.  This nonsence about the "smaller clusters" of water is the kind of fraud I like to see exposed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users