• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Truegho

Truegho

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Do you ever get annoyed with God? By that, I mean do you wonder why he never shows himself to people, and doesn't do anything about evil, mass starvation in Third World countries, ageing and illness etc.

#2 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Not exactly sure what you would like the Creator to do more than She already has. She has given us the world, free will and a mind to figure things out. If there is trouble with the way things are, its our fault.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I guess it is human nature, to expect, and then get annoyed. So yes, it is quite natural for most of us to get annoyed with God.
Posted Image

#4 Truegho

Truegho

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Sometimes things happen in the world - horrible things - that really make me wonder if there really is a God. The Holocaust and the murders of innocent people by mindless thugs, which you read about in the papers, are just two things that make me ask: if God is good, why oh why did he let these despicable, nhumane things happen?

#5 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Why do we allow it?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#6 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'm with Greg_dragonlvr on this one. Everyone I am sure who believes that there is a God has asked "why" as far as bad things go. The great thing about God is the free will it's givin us. Instead of being annoyed with God, try directing that at mankind in general. The greed, the hate, the need to be in control, the "I am better than you" mentality, "thus my life is more important". Things like that cause the world to go downhill. Also for some, God has shown/proven himself/herself to people, but not in the way many people would expect, but through epiphanies and such, they are differant for everyone. Point being God has and does prove he/she exists. Backtracking a bit, I think, that a nice chunk of humanity has lost faith and won't seek God in the way they should, but expect things to happen at the snap of a finger. When it does not happen or go the way those people expected, they despair and go into the mindset of "well there must not be a God, cause it didn't happen like I prayed it would.". I believe that because of the lack of faith, more and more bad things happen, cause there are less people trying to stop it (Going back to free will,) God works through his/her people, more so then just magically making bad things go away, or miraculously granting wishes like a genie in a bottle, examples of god working through people are, but not limited to: doctors to heal the sick, people with compasion, enough to give a homless person whatever they have to spare, people who build houses for habitat for humanity, those who donate time and money to help their fellow man, and those who pray for their brothers and sisters. The more we lose faith and put "me me me" first, the more we will be forced to see these horrible things in the world, and evil rearing it's head.
As far as being "annoyed" with God, it never happens with me. When you asked if we get annoyed with God, you were not speaking of one religion's God from anothers, and ment in general, right? That's how I took it. Anyways this is just my opinion on the matter.

#7 Truegho

Truegho

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thank you for your reply, sara_love. You made some interesting and thought-provoking comments. I am not the only one who has wondered if God exists, for my dear dad (who died in 1988) used to voice the same sentiments. He would look at disabled people and children on the news, and often say, "If there is a God, why does he allow children to be born with such awful defects?" I suppose you could go on and on about this.

#8 soulrunner

soulrunner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:gardening is my hobby and one of my jobs

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

I never get annoyed with god because there is no god. I fully and totally believe that there is no "god" at all. If the human race could only kick the crutch that is religion then we could solve half the worlds problems straigt away. I also understand that people do believe in god and I respect their belief, as I would hope they would respect mine.
On A side note I had this conversation on another site some time ago and I was told I was blasphemous. my arguement was that it can only be blasphemy if you belive and say you do not. I do not believe. there is no god there is no devil, but there is another place but no one peron rules it like no one person rules the planet or beyond.

#9 Truegho

Truegho

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

If there is no God, do you think it is a terrifying thought that we are all alone in the universe?

#10 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Getting a little off topic. All views are welcome and there are threads discussing the pros and cons of the existance of a supreme being. Have fun.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#11 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Truegho, God's existance and His glory are declared in the diversity and complexity of life that surrounds us. Just as the Buick in the driveway didn't spontaniously spring into existance, neither did we. Life itself declares an intelligent designer. Many of the problems we see around us are caused by us. Part and parcel of free will I guess. Other things may just be a matter of perspective. For instance, we are linear beings within time. We perceive a beginning and an ending. God is a nonlinear, He exists in the past, present and future all at the same time. He has no beginning and no ending. That would give a striking difference in perspective, wouldn't it? He knows where we will end up and what experiences will forge our personalities. I also believe that He wants the ultimate best future for each of us,but there is that free will thing again. Guess what we make of God's gifts are up to each of us.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#12 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

I guess the way i look at it is that I can't very well say I don't believe in God.....to me that would be like saying "I don't believe in me". Posted Image Couldn't say though what or who i think god is, just that God is.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#13 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

Sorry..... Your question,Truegho, was do you ever get annoyed with God, not whether one believes in God's existence. I've been known to yell at God and make demands and complain and want things my way and act like a spoiled child. Yes I do get annoyed at God.
But when I settle down and realize that we are all a part of God, I'm humbled and ashamed of what we do to each other.
Dr. Melvin Morse tells this story of being encouraged to pray by a friend. He was not a praying man. The friend told him to simply ask God a question and the answer would come. So his question was "what is the relationship of God to man". or something like that. He heard nothing. Later that day, it was like a light bulb went off. He had been trying to understand a mathematical problem called "fractals". Fractals say that a piece of the whole contains the whole. Like if you broke off a corner of a snowflake and put in under a microscope it would be the same as the whole snow flake.It hit him like a flash and he knew it was the answer to the question he had asked in prayer. That's it! We are all fractals of God. It takes all of us to make the whole.
So, in that case, who can we blame for anything?
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users