• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

I'm starting this topic because a different thread was moving into a discussion about this. I'd like to keep that thread on-topic for it's own intentions, but now I'm interested in what others have to say about this. It all started as a intrigue into the realm of intuition, more or less...when you just know something involving another person...you just feel it.

I've heard the theory that we're all "one" with the Universe, we're all connected to each other in some way (I think there's a word for this, but it's refusing to come to mind right now). We've all heard the stories of people who have been half way around the world from a loved one when they've passed, and they just know it has happened. And the seemingly coincidental occurances of thinking of a friend before they walk in the room, or reaching for the phone to call them, just as they are ringing you. I don't know exactly what I believe about the subject so I was looking for different view points on it.

So what do you think? Are all human beings connected through the psyche? Maybe all living things, even? Do you share more of a psychic "bond" with some than others, relating to the idea of soul mates? Or can you learn to tap into "the collective", so to speak? Have you ever felt an instantaneous connection with someone, or do you think it takes time to develop those connections? Do we share this connection with everyone and it's just a matter of psychic awareness...or is it really just stronger with some than others? Just a few questions to get the ball rolling :)
Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,357 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

An amazing topic Annie.Thanks for starting this.

I, for one, believe in the Oneness. Even the latest Quatam Theories are pointing to the same direction of the Universal Oneness. It is true that once we are emotionally connected to someone we feel more connected, but lack of emotional oneness is our problem and something we need to work on to get connected. In reality everything is connected for sure. And yes, we can tap in to teh collective consciousness to "know".

If you are subsricing to the Holographic Universe theory, you will even be glad to know there are not past, present or future, it is all NOW and NOW Is real.
Posted Image

#3 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Bringing up science...you are a boy after my own heart ;) Thanks for that, Moonie :)

I've done limited research in the area of the Holographic principle specifically, but I suppose you're right where theoretical physics is involved. String Theory, along with Superstring Theory and M-Theory all assume the basis of the Universe as a hologram, and while still controversial and not currently verifiable, the general ideas of these various theories are making strong candidates for the Theory of Everything (for more info on the Theory of Everything, click HERE. Warning: Link is science-heavy!) And with 11 proposed dimensions (4 of these being the known dimensions of spacetime), I suppose anything is possible.

Alright, enough of my scientific babble...I'm such a geek :)
Posted Image

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,357 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

But such scientific theories and findings points to the fact of what is the Oneness all about. I can talk about what is said in Hindu scriptures, which are amazing the same as what the Holographic theory and String theory suggests.
Posted Image

#5 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

The Hindu faith is one credo that I don't know too much about, so please, share if you feel so inclined :)
Posted Image

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,357 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Will try to get the right information, but I dont want to get this discussion into a religion mode. Today being too late, I would find out what I can share tomorrow.
Posted Image

#7 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

Oh, Moonie...I posted this in the religion/spirituality section because I knew it would likely get religious, so I for one don't mind :) People's religions and/or personal beliefs have so much to do with this topic, I think it might be difficult to try and divide the two.
Posted Image

#8 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

This is an excellent topic, Annie! I believe we're all connected. Not just people, but all living things and probably everything, period. I don't have a well developed belief about it, just something I intuitively feel, so I'd also love to hear everyones thoughts on this subject.

#9 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

This is an excellent topic, Annie! I believe we're all connected. Not just people, but all living things and probably everything, period. I don't have a well developed belief about it, just something I intuitively feel, so I'd also love to hear everyones thoughts on this subject.

Those are exactly my thoughts on the subject...I think I believe, I may even feel like it's absurd NOT to believe it, but I don't really know why I believe. I know that I've experienced some things that, by all rationality, seem to be beyond the realms of coincidence, but then I'm left with a variety of new questions: If not by coincidence, then by what? And by who? Is it Universal? Can we change it? Is it scientific or supernatural? Is it both? And the list could go on... Leaving questions unanswered (or at least unpursued) never did sit well with me. Thus this topic :D
Posted Image

#10 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:12 AM

You asked if we are more connected to some than others, so I'll tackle that bit.

People who have been in the Village for a while have heard of my friend who I call Leandro. Leandro visited me in a dream over a year before I knew he existed as an actual person. He left me a message in his native Portuguese, which I didn't understand at the time, but translated once I learned which language the message was in. When Leandro and I first met in real life, we recognized each other but didn't say anything because our dream experience was so incredible.

Leandro and I formed a bond I cannot fully explain. At first it started after I left his country to return home to the US. We could pick up on the other's thoughts and moods without any communication. Then it progressed to actual words from time to time. Once Leandro sent me a single-word email (parabens - congratulations) while I was in my boss' office being offered a promotion and a raise. Mind you the raise and promotion were both a surprise to me, so I hadn't knowingly said anything to my friend.

So, I know that some bonds truly exist, but I don't know how many people are linked together, or how strong those ties are.

My sect preaches a lot about stewardship, and how we are entitled to inspiration and revelation to those within our realm of stewardship. Parents are given insights as to what their children need. Teachers should call on the Divine to know how to present their material so the pupils will get the subject matter. Presidents may ask the Almighty for guidance (though there is some doubt whether Dubya hasn't asked, or if he needs to clean out his ears). These stewardships usually aren't thought of as direct links as you described, but rather they go through Deity. However, this is the closest I can find within my own sect.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#11 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

Wow Aloha, I've met a few people that I've had a strong connection to and had instant familiarity with, but nothing like what you described! The dream experience in particular must have been amazing. Speaking of coincidence and connectedness, ever since I started trying to learn Portuguese I keep hearing other people bring up that language. And speaking of coincidences in general, I've had some extremely bizarre ones. So strange and unlikely that they almost seem paranormal even though they're normal things. Well actually I don't know that I'd even call them "normal," they're more like statistically improbable things. I wonder if there's meaning or a guiding force behind them and maybe it all has something to do with how things are connected.

#12 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

That is quite the incredible experience, Aloha. I don't think I've ever found anyone that I share that deep of a connection with, but I know there are a couple people in my life with whom I can easily pick up moods and, on more rare ocassions, even thoughts. I have had dreams about/involving a couple of those people that could be construed as quite prophetic, though I've always disregarded it as coincidence or believed that the dreams were just general enough and thereby didn't hold water with any kind of connection theory...it would have to be blatantly obvious for me to even consider that a dream was definitively prophetic in nature.

So, Aloha...let me get your view point on this: Do you think there are reasons for us having a deeper connection with some than others? Or is it just a matter of having so many similarities, both in preference and personality, that you really "know" that person, deep down? Do you believe in reincarnation and that souls like these have been and will be traveling together through many lifetimes? Could that be what creates such a connection? Just a couple more questions that sprang to mind while reading your post :clap:

Edited by AnnieV, 08 July 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

#13 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

So, Aloha...let me get your view point on this: Do you think there are reasons for us having a deeper connection with some than others? Or is it just a matter of having so many similarities, both in preference and personality, that you really "know" that person, deep down? Do you believe in reincarnation and that souls like these have been and will be traveling together through many lifetimes? Could that be what creates such a connection? Just a couple more questions that sprang to mind while reading your post :darth:

My Mormonism thread covers the basics of my faith, but let me answer your questions here since they have so much to do with the topic at hand.

We believe in the resurrection, not reincarnation. We believe we existed before as spirits, where we developed talents, relationships, and personalities. We are currently going through our one and only mortal life. Upon death our spirit leaves our physical body. In the resurrection (and EVERYONE will be resurrected) we gain a physical, perfect, immortal body. We believe we carry our personality and mannerisms with us as we progress from one state to the next.

I think some of our instant friendships are an unconscious recognition of that person from our premortal existence.

I also think that we are given certain missions to accomplish in this life. I met Leandro because I chose to serve a full-time mission for my sect. By chance I was called to Brazil (our Prophet and Apostles assign an area of service to each missionary). And my mission coincided with a period of Leandro's life when he was lost. I helped him find the path he's still following. Was this meeting arranged because we knew each other before, or because I could somehow reach him where others might fail?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#14 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

I also think that we are given certain missions to accomplish in this life. I met Leandro because I chose to serve a full-time mission for my sect. By chance I was called to Brazil (our Prophet and Apostles assign an area of service to each missionary). And my mission coincided with a period of Leandro's life when he was lost. I helped him find the path he's still following. Was this meeting arranged because we knew each other before, or because I could somehow reach him where others might fail?

Thanks for your response, aloha! I think the idea of predestination vs. free will is an interesting subject that could stem from this conversation. Does everything in life happen by chance or are some things meant to be? When you sit back and really delve into your own past, it's easy to see how greatly even the smallest of decisions impacts the rest of your life. I know that I personally can think of a thousand examples of decisions I've made that have let me end up exactly where I am right now.

For example, after high school I chose to delay college for a year and work full-time. Many of the people I met throughout that year I am still close with, and some of them have had a very profound impact on my life, helping to form the very whats/whens/whys/hows of where I am today. I've often wondered what would have happened, where I would be in life now, if I had gone off to college directly after high school. I probably wouldn't have met any of those people, and thereby, my life probably would have turned out completely differently....

....or would it have? Are some things maybe just meant to be? Would I have still met the people that helped shape my current life? Or different people who served the same "purpose"? Or is it only those profound spiritual moments and revelations that we are destined to experience? Do the details of our lives really even matter in the bigger picture? If a person really believes in predestination and fate, how much "free will" can we actually have? Just a few questions...anybody have any thoughts? beliefs?

Okay, so I've gone and hijacked my own thread now, but I think these concepts closely relate to the topic at hand. I'm just going off on all kinds of tangents...I try to answer one question and 10 more pop up in the process :wave:
Posted Image

#15 razorblade_ragdoll

razorblade_ragdoll

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Arts/Pottery (particularly animation), Literature, Writing and Poetry, Music ( I listen to a little of everything, but tend to lean torward the Rock, Metal, and Alternative genres in preference ^^;; ) Softball, Photography and the truth behind the paranormal that may help me finally feel comfortable in my own skin.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Whoa...it's like 8:30 out here in Pennsylvania, and I kid you not, seeing the depth of thought in this topic really woke me up. I, though I am young and inexpirienced in many ways of the world, personally believe that, yes, all human beings--and even perhaps all life--are connected, through spirit. By the gift of living, of exsistance that we all share--and the fate that befalls upon us all eventually. I don't entirely understand all the details yet, but...I can, for one, say that I've had immediate connections with people, some so deep in link it'd felt as if I'd known them for a lifetime and beyond. I know, I'm rambling XD. It's early. But that's my overall view.

Wings won't take me...Heights don't phase me...So take a step,But don't look down...

Check out my art--any comments are greatly welcomed!:http://s176.photobuc.....ire_B/My Art/

Posted Image

Take a Step...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users