21 replies to this topic

#1 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

Hey there,

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster.

I don't reckon my house is permanently haunted.
On occasion, I do feel watched, but that is very occasional, and has been most common over the last few weeks. I know ghosts can be transient - so this may be the case.

Last night while reading in bed, my computer turned itself on three times.
The first time I turned it off in astonishment, figuring something unseen may have acted. To my knowledge, PCs do not have the ability to turn themselves on at will. I may have whispered a few things under my breath.

The second time, I said "Oh stop that", followed by more polite words. This was at 1:37am.
A semi-translucent white haze also appeared below my chair... it was approximately the size of a sock.
I didn't feel intent to harm, thankfully.

I was left to read in peace until 2:07 am when it turned itself on for a third time.
The computer stayed on for the night. I remember saying something along the lines of, "The computer is not a toy. My house, my rules. Leave me alone for the night."

I left the screen off, and MS Word open, with a few questions for the possible spirirt to answer.
Sadly, no answer.

Does anyone know what this is ?

I have read past posts where someone was able to sense specifics about a spirit in another poster's house...

Anyway, I have been lured out of lurking by the forces that be.

Cheers

/s

#2 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like you have a ghost. They do like to play with electrical devices and turn them on and/or off. I have never had a computer turn on by itself, but have experienced lights turned on by themselves, tv turned on by itself and refrigerator door opening by itself. Clocks too, they like to mess with, starting or stopping them.

My sister in law was away at a business conference and stayed at a hotel where the photo copy machine kept going on by itself as well as an elevator that kept going up and down all by itself (the elevator was in a renovated carriage house that only had function rooms).

Interesting that you saw a haze too. Keep an eye on that computer of yours and your eyes and ears open. I am sure other strange things will happen in your house too. It does not sound to be a harmful ghost, so don't get scared, you may scare it away, unless that is what you want. Let us know if anything else happens.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#3 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

Funny thing is that this is the first manifestation I have seen, and I have been living here for five months.
I don't think any of my housemates have observed anything that peculiar.
I reckon this spirit is transient, possibly just visiting.
If it keeps me awake and distracts me from studying, I will let it been known that I will scare it away.
Today has felt wierd all day, as this has been on my mind.

I have experienced "spiritual mainfestations" before at other locations... my computer would probably be #2 on the list of most alarming.

First time it turned on, I was startled, thinking, "What the hell? Did THAT just happen???"
The next two times, it was annoying.

About that haze... it appeared to be rather thin. It could have been my eyes adjusting or my mind playing tricks. Keep in mind all this happened with my light on. The haze piqued my curiosity more than anything.
I wouldn't count it as seeing a ghost, really. I ended up sleeping very lightly, with my IPOD on, lest it decide to make any other startling noises.

While reading... I recall talking aloud, albeit in a low voice, about my article and labwork.
Perhaps I bored it to the extent where it wanted to fiddle with my computer.

Thanks for the input.

#4 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Okay, last night my computer only turned itself on twice; an improvement of sorts.
I was asleep the first time (2:44am), and awake the second time (~3:14am).

I have noticed this happened on ~30 minute intervals both nights. So maybe it is something wonky about my machine. Maybe there is a scientific explanation after all... if there is I'm still bamboozled.
If it is a spirit, I get the sense that it's not someone I know.

Anyway, I turned off my machine, unplugged it, and gave a stern talk in a low voice: MY house, MY rules! You are no longer welcome here! Leave NOW!"
This after growling at it loudly the first time. Thankfully, I was able to sleep uniterrupted after the second incident.

Being the scientist I am - tonight I'm leaving it off while reading, and keeping my DigiCam handy.

Is there any other way I can contact whatever this entity is, without it fiddling with my computer, which contains ALL my research data ?

#5 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

If you want to contact the identity, don't be yelling at it and chasing it off. There is no scientific explanation for this, computers do not turn on by themselves. I would keep the computer plugged in for the night and set up a camcorder etc. on it. At least you will we able to record it if it happens again. My refrigerator door last year kept opening by itself 4-5 times a week only between 8-10 pm, I actually saw it twice open all by itself. I set up a camcorder, and it never happened since, and whatever it was eventually went away even though I did not want to chase it off. Whatever you have is not dangerous, sounds like a curious spirit, maybe it is trying to use your computer to send an email , lol. Let us know what keeps happening.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#6 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

I have to agree with Ghostcat, WLU. You're sending conflicting messages to your potential visitor - -

Asking him/her to go away, and then enticing the spirit to remain by leaving an open Word document is confusing. I understand that you're concerned for the info that's in your computer, but electronics are a common device through which spirits attempt to reach us.

Be sure to rule out mundance explanations....power surges, etc..and then if you still feel someone is visiting you, make a firm decision about whether you'd like to keep contact open or not.

If you decide to explore this further, I believe it's really important to speak aloud, as you've been doing. Only this time, have a positive conversation...Maybe explain that your computer is important to you, but that you would like to receive communication.

Perhaps you could leave paper and pencil on your desk at night...

I would also take random snapshots of the room during the time span that this generally occurs.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to set some ground rules here. Specifically regarding awakening me at odd hours when I have a busy day ahead, or have to be up early.
Otherwise, it is welcome to stay with us.

I don't sense the presence was dangerous.
Maybe it was curious ?
Maybe it wanted my attention ?
If the later is true, it certainly succeeded. Although, I'm usure of the message it was atemtping to send.

Saturday night, I spoke aloud a fair bit about what I was reading. It probably got bored and decided to fiddle with my computer. Strangely nothing has ever played with the lights, faucets, telly, etc.
This was the first physical manifestation of anything out of the ordinary.

The fact that this occurred with a specific mathematical frequency that we base our schedules on (the half hour), is pecuilar.
As for power surges, my CPU is hooked to the same power bar as my clock and printer, neither or which were affected.

GhostCat, was your spirit transient, or can you still sense it sporadically ?

Holly, there are always a few pens and pieces of paper on my desk. So far, I have not received any written messages. Would recording EVPs using my computer work ?

#8 bathory313

bathory313

So SCARED she peed down her own leg!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, mysteries of the world, poetry, art, ghosts, evp, ghost photos, psychics and mediumship, esp, telepathy, psychic photography, guardian spirits, doing something good for others

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:56 PM

I had an experience with a vcr a couple of years ago! It would turn itself on repeatedly................once when the surge suppressor bar was switched OFF. ( I was experimenting)

Off and on I find the electrical appliances in the house being messed with, so to speak.
Posted Image

#9 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'm now ~95% positive we have a ghost who regularily visits.

Yesterday, one on my housemates called me over and noticed a cold spot near his door.
There are no air ducts near the door, nor any logical explanation why THAT particular spot would be ~5C cooler than the remainder of the room. He also told me that sometimes he hears knocking coming from my side of the house.

I don't feel threatened by our visitor. I would not know how to describe this spirit... curious would be a good word. He/she seems harmless. Since this house has been a graduate student residence for the last decade or so, I imagine there is a possibility that our visitor is was a graudate student who lived there at one point. Either way, I don't sense the presence of a family member or anyone familiar to me.

I had an experience with a vcr a couple of years ago! It would turn itself on repeatedly................once when the surge suppressor bar was switched OFF. ( I was experimenting)

Off and on I find the electrical appliances in the house being messed with, so to speak.

Prior to this, I've had many experiences with the paranormal.
However, this is the first time a spirit has fiddled with any electronic devices.
For what I read, that is one of their preferred methods of communication.

Since Monday night, I have been unplugging my computer during the night.
Thankfully, it has not turned itself on since ~2am Monday.

#10 makennasnan

makennasnan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

:Spaz: :weeee: :lol:

I'm now ~95% positive we have a ghost who regularily visits.

Yesterday, one on my housemates called me over and noticed a cold spot near his door.
There are no air ducts near the door, nor any logical explanation why THAT particular spot would be ~5C cooler than the remainder of the room. He also told me that sometimes he hears knocking coming from my side of the house.

I don't feel threatened by our visitor. I would not know how to describe this spirit... curious would be a good word. He/she seems harmless. Since this house has been a graduate student residence for the last decade or so, I imagine there is a possibility that our visitor is was a graudate student who lived there at one point. Either way, I don't sense the presence of a family member or anyone familiar to me.

Prior to this, I've had many experiences with the paranormal.
However, this is the first time a spirit has fiddled with any electronic devices.
For what I read, that is one of their preferred methods of communication.

Since Monday night, I have been unplugging my computer during the night.
Thankfully, it has not turned itself on since ~2am Monday.

Dude,

We have a little girl ghost on our house. We had installed a remote light switch at the rear of the house by the kithcen door so when we were out and came home, we could turn one of the living room lights on. (no wiring, just a remote thing). Our little imp decided that it was a toy and while were would be sitting in the living room watching T.V., she would play with it by turning the lights on and off. You could actually see the switch bring moved! After asking her to stop and of course being a child didn't, we eventually removed it. She also likes to get our grandchildren's toys out of the toybox and play with them! Nothing like coming downstairs in the morning and stepping on a Thomas the Tank engine! :)
we have learned to live with her because we feel this is a wonderful gift that house has given us. Maybe she is here because she knows we LOVE little ones. All of our 5 grandchildren play with her at times. She is especially active when our 4 year old grandson stays overnight with us. When we go to bed, she just runs and runs up and down the staircase. We have on occasion heard her giggling...... She woke up my son (who was 17 at the time), by tickling his feet and asking him to play.... Scared the poop out of him!
Well enough of me, enjoy your visitor and always make them feel welcome...........

#11 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

After 22 years in this haunted house I live in, ya kinda get used to it....LOL.....NOT!
I have a computer that turns on all the time, even during the day. The tv, lights, doors, touching, punching (only a few times to really get my attention) pulling on my clothes, going thru me in the bathroom, I hear them touching all my stuff as they travel thru my bedroom and on and on. I do tell them its late, I want to sleep, not tonight got to bed. It will usually get quiet.
With my daughter's gift of seeing and speaking to spirits, I know whats going on in my house now and we can better deal with them, ya might say I can cheat with the problem.
Try to find out who it might be, if you get a name, you can be more personal with what you tell them. It does appear this one wants your attention and is getting it, so now you need to address them and you will get the message across, be patient.
You can live in peace with a spirit, ours are like family.
:)
Leslie
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#12 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

last night my computer restarted itself about two times right in the middle of my typing. It had never done that before, but I don't think it's anything supernatural. My computer is almost always on, so I don't give the spirits a chance to even turn it on.

#13 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

I have a computer that turns on all the time, even during the day. The tv, lights, doors, touching, punching (only a few times to really get my attention) pulling on my clothes, going thru me in the bathroom, I hear them touching all my stuff as they travel thru my bedroom and on and on. I do tell them its late, I want to sleep, not tonight got to bed. It will usually get quiet.
With my daughter's gift of seeing and speaking to spirits, I know whats going on in my house now and we can better deal with them, ya might say I can cheat with the problem.

This sounds like multiple spirits to me.
I also reckon that you are fairly sensitive to being of other wavelengths.
At least more sensitive than I am.

Try to find out who it might be, if you get a name, you can be more personal with what you tell them. It does appear this one wants your attention and is getting it, so now you need to address them and you will get the message across, be patient.
You can live in peace with a spirit, ours are like family.

How can I do this ?

The first two weeks after moving in, I twice got a strange, brief passing feeling, which was really nothing.
Then nothing until the feelings of being watched, starting three or four weeks ago.
Followed by my computer engaging itself during the night.

Yesterday and today during the daytime, I have been hearing what sounds like knocking or footsteps directly above, when I'm downstairs watching tv or reading. Except... directly above that room is a roof.
The knocks seem to follow a particular mathematical pattern most of the time: three knocks/stomps, followed by a softer one. It isn't too loud, though... and sounds muffled.
I reckon it could be noise from the neighbouring unit, but I don't think anyone has been home there since Friday.

w/r/t wanting my attention:
Out of the three of us living here, I reckon I'm the most sensitive and atuned to spiritual frequencies.
Hence, I would likely be the easiest contact among our house's living residents.

What I'm wondering is: why has it waited unil now, and what could it possibly be trying to tell me ?
I sometimes talk (to it) in a low voice or a whisper... never really out loud.

I'm sure that whatever it is, is harmless.
The way things are going, I guess it's only a matter of time before I see it in full form... or someone does.

last night my computer restarted itself about two times right in the middle of my typing. It had never done that before, but I don't think it's anything supernatural. My computer is almost always on, so I don't give the spirits a chance to even turn it on.

Mine has done that once or twice this year. But that could be occurring for a multitude of reasons.
An inactive machine turning itself on... that's another story.

My machine is off during the night, and has been unplugged during the nights since it began turning itself on.

#14 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:33 AM

Ok, you have been there 5 months you said right? Spirits can become more active with more energy in a house. Computers for one give off a lot of energy, and they seem to be attracted to them. This entity, which it would appear you have one by the knocking etc., is well figuring things out. I don't sense any harm with this one. Just be persistant about the rules, you can even write things on paper and direct it to them. Keep me up to date with happenings, maybe my daughter can get you more of an insight as to who this is.
Hang in there, do what you need to do for your data etc., don't get angry, just be firm.
Leslie
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#15 WLUSensFan

WLUSensFan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Ok, you have been there 5 months you said right? Spirits can become more active with more energy in a house. Computers for one give off a lot of energy, and they seem to be attracted to them. This entity, which it would appear you have one by the knocking etc., is well figuring things out. I don't sense any harm with this one. Just be persistant about the rules, you can even write things on paper and direct it to them. Keep me up to date with happenings, maybe my daughter can get you more of an insight as to who this is.
Hang in there, do what you need to do for your data etc., don't get angry, just be firm.
Leslie

Correct, we have been here since early-September.

I reckon whatever it is either was not (or very rarely) present until the roughly one month ago.
Perhaps it was there, but getting accustomed to us ?

I now unplug my CPU at night, so maybe the spirit/visitor is taking the hint.
Whomever this is, is not harmful... at leats that is my feeling.
I got the feeling it followed me to my office once this past week too... it must have been awful bored to do that.
:whoohoo:

Any help and insight would be appreciated.
Thankily dankily doo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users