Mormonism

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#136 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

Are you able to advise how you are able to determine if someone is a descendent of Cain/Ham?

Are there some sort of genetic tests that are perfromed? If so what are the genetic markers for Cain/Ham descendents?

I said it was determined through revelation. There weren't genetic tests in the 1800s. Even genetic tests in the 1970s were sketchy. With the priesthood ban lifted, there is no reason to try and devise a genetic test now.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#137 Gosman

Gosman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

...With the priesthood ban lifted, there is no reason to try and devise a genetic test now.

There is one extremely good reason to devise a genetic test now. That is to see if there was any justification for banning a group of people based on dubious geneological reasons.

If there is a genetic marker for the people of Ham/Cain then it provides evidence that the previous ban had some merit. If not then the leaders of the LDS owe the Black community a massive apology just like the Pope has apologised for previous dodgy policies on behalf of the Roman Catholic Church.

Don't you think the LDS leadership ever makes mistakes, either now or in the past? Are they infallible?

Edited by Gosman, 30 December 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#138 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

...With the priesthood ban lifted, there is no reason to try and devise a genetic test now.

If there is a genetic marker for the people of Ham/Cain then it provides evidence that the previous ban had some merit. If not then the leaders of the LDS owe the Black community a massive apology

Are you kidding me, Gosman??!! No one owes the black community anything!! I'm so sick & tired of this generation having to owe the black community apologies for things our ancestors did...get the heck over it. This is a new age and it's people like you and the people still stuck in the "whites only" crap that will never allow *THIS* generation to move forward...for crying out loud Gosman!! The black community has moved on...and for your information, they seem to be doing quite well for themselves. And guess what else, they did it all on their own, and not on the tail coats of aplologies. You need to fast forward to this century and fast....it's people like you that get on my nerves. You have questions about Mormonism then ask with respect. Don't surround it by what you think the Mormons owe to anyone...be it *ANY* community.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#139 Gosman

Gosman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

It seems to me that a number of people , both inside and outside the United States and of African and other heritage, have stated that an apology for past wrongs would be good to get. See http://webapp.mcis.u...l_Apologies.pdf

I don't think this is any different to any other nation or organisation apologising for the abhorant behaviour their predecesors committed. The Germans have done it with WWII and the Australian government has recently apologised to the Aboriginal community for the 'Stolen generation'.

As stated if the Pope can apologise and express remorse for Roman Catholic behaviour against both Jews and Muslims in the past why not the LDS? Do they have an issue with saying sorry? If so then it is not a very Christian attitude to hold is it.

Edited by Gosman, 30 December 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#140 Gosman

Gosman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

The Episcopalians don't seem to have an issue with saying sorry for past wrongs:

http://www.topix.com...LNP55JBSAN0JHFI

I wonder why it is such a big deal for members of the LDS Church to admit they might have been wrong in regard their policy about descendents of Cain/Ham becoming members of the Priesthood and agree that an apology would be okay?

Edited by Gosman, 30 December 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#141 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

The Episcopalians don't seem to have an issue with saying sorry for past wrongs:

I wonder why it is such a big deal for members of the LDS Church to admit they might have been wrong in regard their policy about descendents of Cain/Ham becoming members of the Priesthood and agree that an apology would be okay?

The Church can't apologize on certain issues, because that would be seen as an admission of guilt. The Church is blameless in these matters. Individual members may have done wrong. One such example are the 1000+ doctrinal errors in Bruce R. McConkies' book Mormon Doctrine, written before he was an Apostle. Those 100+ errors were discovered by the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency. The entire section on the Priesthood ban was in error, and removed from a later edition (which still has several errors).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#142 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

I don't personally have a problem saying "I'm sorry" (as you previously posted before you edited your comment) as i feel if you make a mistake, an apology is due to the one(s) that it hurt. However.........if something is brought up that I did 100 years ago, it's time to get over it and move on. Some folks can't stop living in the past...does this pertain to you?
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users