#16 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

Easiest and stable Linux flavour you need to check out is UBUNTU, they ship free CD's. Get Ubuntu

Edited by MoonDragon, 11 August 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#17 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

EPROM burner??? I'm not the biggest geek here?!?

I'm in the middle of a major upgrade on my computer. It all started with wanting a Blu-ray drive for my (older) machine. That meant an upgrade to the graphics card. That led to a new motherboard and power supply. Those led to new RAM and CPU chip. Oh, my old motherboard had two SATA connectors - both of which were already in use.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#18 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

I've only had 2 brand-new-out-of-the-box computers........the first one was 22 years ago, cost me $1000 and came complete with Windows 3.1 and a 14.4k external modem.....and man, did I think I was zooming right into the Jetson's era or what :hug: :(
The second one was a Wally World special that we got about 6 years ago and it crapped out about 6 months later. Whether it's a blessing or a curse ~ never decided which ~ being married to a techno god-who-was-into-computers-before-there-WAS-such critters as pcs, Windows, Linux, etc. is that #1 he'd come closer to putting me out for the trash guys to collect than he would throwing out computer innards (working or not) and #2 chances are your computer is going to be like that old Johnny Cash song about "One Piece At A Time" :( My latest system, courtesy of my BIL is also a Frankenputer....
playing mad scientist with computers is a family trait, apparently ;)

#19 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

I will say that my very first computer was back in the days of the early 80's when the Commodore 64 and VIC-20 were around. I bought a little Timex Sinclair 1000, the 1000=1kb of RAM, WOW!!! That was back when you had to program it line for line with GOSUB's, GOTO's, RAND's and such. I believe it was call BASIC or BASIC II back then. Then I had a Tandy computer from Radio Shack which was DOS based. Then my first PC was a Pentium I, 120 mhz Packard Bell. I eventually upgraded to a 133 mhz Pentium I and used it for a few years with Windows 95. Then I bought a bunch of pieces and began building my own. I started with an AMD 500 mhz processor and the hardrive that I have in my current machine was the one that I had in that AMD based machine.

BTW, Linux was around before it became Linux. Linux is based on the old Unix OS.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#20 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

Easiest and stable Linux flavour you need to check out is UBUNTU, they ship free CD's. Get Ubuntu

Thanks Moonie. I'm downloading it anyway as a second OS on my machine. I still might have them send me a CD ROM anyhow because I have a line on a refurbished laptop without the OS. Without the OS installed I can get the laptop for less than what a couple of payments on a new one would be.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#21 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Ohhh Axe ~ we soooo should put you and Mystic Hippy in a room together and leave you there for a couple of days :Spaz: He has fond memories of the Timex Sinclair 1000 he had and programming in BASIC. He even has mentioned that he misses the days of operating in DOS. Me ~ even after 22 years, I'm holding on to my belief that it's magic..........you punch the big button on the CPU, the computer comes on.........magic! ;)
About the only strictly technical thing I can do is do a clean re-install......and that is with MH standing over me, telling me step by step how to do it. The rest I wisely leave for you smart people that understand the technical stuff :Spaz:

#22 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Moonie. I'm downloading it anyway as a second OS on my machine. I still might have them send me a CD ROM anyhow because I have a line on a refurbished laptop without the OS. Without the OS installed I can get the laptop for less than what a couple of payments on a new one would be.

Ax, this will help you too, just in case Ubuntu Support Forum you can always buzz me back in case any assistance is required.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#23 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

Ax, this will help you too, just in case Ubuntu Support Forum you can always buzz me back in case any assistance is required.

I will let you know. In a couple of months I'll be able to get the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users