Haunted Mall

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, biking, nature walks, vampires, manga and anime (certain types), internet, and I dunno I'll add more when they come to me

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

I don't know how well known this is but to me is came as somewhat of a shock; West Edmonton Mall is haunted. A portion of it is anyways. It seems since this mall is so big and always crowded it would be hard to notice anything strange unless you work there. I am one of the many people that are employed by the mall. This is just one department of the mall. I do not know if people of other departments notice anything but anyone in mine will you tell that the souvenir shop near the food court isn't always as quiet as it appears.

I began to notice something was not right in the warehouse (the name given to the basement room that holds the extra merchandise for the two stores owned by the mall) when I was left alone down there. In all fairness unfinished rooms in basements have always been somewhat eerie but this place is beyond eerie. I was pricing product to go up to one of the two stores when the temperature dropped suddenly and I was forced to put on the winter coat I had brought with me that day. Normally this room wasn't that cold and all you needed was a light sweater to keep warm. The cold lasted the entire time I was alone and didn't warm up even after my boss and supervisor were back down to finish up some work. They even commented that it was colder than usual and were forced to put on something warmer as well. It started to warm up when we began to ignore the chill.
I have not worked in the warehouse since (not by choice. They have someone else pricing down there now) but I have heard plenty of stories from my coworkers about their own creepy encounters.
One of my supervisors is often down there to collect product to put on the shelves and will either leave the radio or tv on to keep her company for the minutes she is down there. When she turns the tv on, she often forgets to turn it back off when she goes to leave. She will leave the room and come back a little later to find the tv off or on (it turns off if she leaves it on and it turns on when she remembers to turn it off). The radio is very similar. She will leave the radio playing when she leaves (and isn't using the tv) and will come back to find it off. Sometimes the station is even changed but this is rare.
A coworker of mine was recently promoted to Shift Leader (like a supervisor without the pay) and will go to the warehouse to collect the various supplied needed in the stores. Often when down there she hears the sound of the chairs squeaking as if someone just stood up. Our chairs down there are ones that go down a little when you sit on them and go back up when you stand up. When someone stands up and the chair goes back up, it makes a squeak. It's this squeak that can be heard when she is the only one down there and wasn't sitting on one of the chairs.
From what I have been able to gather, the warehouse was once a restaurant but was changed to storage for some unknown reason. It's creepy using the bathroom down there because it feels as if you are being watched and it makes it almost impossible to go (in my opinion anyways). Sometimes the sounds of dishes clanging can be heard but this is rare as well.

The souvenir shop on the main floor also has it's own oddities. The store is often empty because not a lot of people right now are looking for souvenirs so we sit behind the counter or walk the floor with only the store music playing and feel we are not alone. Often a strong smell of perfume or cologne will hit us when we are behind the counter and the store is empty and has been so for quite a while.
One of the items we have for sale is a laughing cat that is motion activated. And when the store is empty and we are behind the counter with will start laughing on it's own. We are well out of it's range and yet it laughs, adding to the atmosphere that all is not well.

The bathing suit store next to the water park is also haunted. I'm not down there a lot so I don't have many stories but am working on it. One such story is bathing suit hangers randomly falling off the bars as if someone brushed against them when the store is empty and we are no where near them.

Got any haunting stories of the Greatest Indoor Show on Earth? Please feel free to tell me. I would love to hear more

"I'm a mercenary doom bringer! What planet am I on?!"-Transformers 2

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Interesting stories. Has anyone done any research on the history of the area in question?
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, biking, nature walks, vampires, manga and anime (certain types), internet, and I dunno I'll add more when they come to me

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Interesting stories. Has anyone done any research on the history of the area in question?

I've tried but haven't had much luck. I remember reading once though that sometimes places that were popular in life to someone is an area they may haunt in death

#4 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

More ghost stories of West Edmonton Mall!

I was being cashed out the other night and my shift leader had just gone into the back to turn the last of the lights off (whoever designed this store was retarded. To switch off the big set of lights you have to go into a tiny back room and turn the breaker off) and I was grabbing my coat from there as well when all of a sudden the entry alarm went off.
Let me explain how this is weird. The entry alarm was purchased back at the beginning of summer when the store got too busy and our boss wouldn't put two people in the store instead of one. So the entry alarm would make a god awful racket whenever someone entered. The purpose of this so that whoever was on shift at the time could drop whatever it was they were doing to go greet the customer and pester them into buying something. I absolutely hated that thing (and I have something called eyes so I can see when someone enters the store) and would often turn it off or face it towards the wall when no one was looking. Since the arrival of fall,the entry alarm has not been used and I was unaware it was even still in the store.
So the store was dark, locked, and neither of us were near the BAD_WORD thing when it went off. It startled us both and we walked over to the source to discover not only was that piece of BAD_WORD device in the store but it was on too! Neither of us are really sure how it was tripped because there are some coasters right in front of the sensor and there was no way for that thing to go off unless they moved the coasters (the coasters were still in place). So it was turned off and faced towards the coasters once more (it's a portable entry alarm so we can move it if we want).

I also managed to dig up a little bit of dirt on the mall itself. Several years ago a man drowned in the indoor lake the mall has. It was never determined whether he jumped or was pushed.
Several years ago on Boxing Day (near closing of the mall) a man died on the escalator by the ice palace (ironically this same set of escalators are always being fixed). It was believed to be a drug related incident.

This is all I have, any more information concerning the mall would be greatly appreciated!

#5 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

I managed to dig up a little more dirt on the history of the mall.
Someone at sometime died on one of the rollercoasters at the mall (I'm assuming the mind bender since they stop the ride every 20mins to make sure everything is alright).
3-4 men died during the construction of the mall

#6 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

New one!
I was in the store with my shift leader and everything is quiet. No one is in the store, out of the store, or above the store. All that's there is us and the stereo playing Micheal Jackson (have I mentioned how sick I am of listening to Micheal Jackson). Suddenly out of no where there's the sound of wet sneakers squeaking on tiles. There was no real source of the sound that either of us could find.

Now, someone could have been out of sight and for some reason had wet shoes or it could have been the stereo being weird. I'm not sure

#7 all_outta_angst

all_outta_angst

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Punk, ghosts, and music in a nut shell

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

I've been looking around the internet for lesser known hauntings and came across your story. I live right by the mall and I have also heard there is a sidewalk that people have heard High heel shoes following them.

As far as the deaths at galaxyland, there is confirmation of two or three men dying after the rollor coaster went off of it's track and the guys died instantly. This was around 1980's I think. The mall opened in 1981.

Would there be a chance to do some sort of investigation there?

#8 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

I've been looking around the internet for lesser known hauntings and came across your story. I live right by the mall and I have also heard there is a sidewalk that people have heard High heel shoes following them.

As far as the deaths at galaxyland, there is confirmation of two or three men dying after the rollor coaster went off of it's track and the guys died instantly. This was around 1980's I think. The mall opened in 1981.

Would there be a chance to do some sort of investigation there?

Unfortunately I highly doubt it. I work for the mall and know the owners (see them every other month) to a point. Unless there was financial gain to be made in one (I mean A LOT of gain) they wouldn't allow it.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything else unusual but it isn't easy. The employee only halls are a maze and frankly rather creepy

#9 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

So while it's fresh in my mind, here is another story of weird things in the mall. Again, it can be written off as something more explicable but whatever.

So today is inventory day for my department. There are three stores (usually just two) that we have to count crap at, not to mention our warehouse. Luckily I'm rarely in the warehouse. I'm at our newest store counting crap and it turns out there's a variance. So we go back and look. I can't speak for all the variances but there is one in my mind that I counted three times three separate times and got the same number. Someone else counted and got the same number. We go back to recount to find out why there is a variance and find the missing items with all it's buddies. It wasn't hiding. It was right with the rest. Somehow it had been missed four times or was simply not there. I'm not talking about a little variance like one or two. Ten were missing.

Does anyone realize how much trouble I'm in if I'm caught doing this?

#10 all_outta_angst

all_outta_angst

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

That's too bad. Would have loved to do some investigation there. I have never heard of any stories of the mall being haunted, nor am I aware of any other deaths there. Supposedly before the mall was built there, it was all marsh and swamp land. I would suggest even placing a digital audio recorder in the basement area and get EVP's if you can. Or a digital camera.

#11 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

That's too bad. Would have loved to do some investigation there. I have never heard of any stories of the mall being haunted, nor am I aware of any other deaths there. Supposedly before the mall was built there, it was all marsh and swamp land. I would suggest even placing a digital audio recorder in the basement area and get EVP's if you can. Or a digital camera.

That may not be possible. The place is littered with security cameras and if someone found it, it may not be returned to lost and found and if it is, I'm in trouble if I'm questioned as to why it was there in the first place.
For now, the stories are all I can give. A camera is a possibility but not when on shift obviously.

#12 all_outta_angst

all_outta_angst

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

That may not be possible. The place is littered with security cameras and if someone found it, it may not be returned to lost and found and if it is, I'm in trouble if I'm questioned as to why it was there in the first place.
For now, the stories are all I can give. A camera is a possibility but not when on shift obviously.

aww, that's really too bad. I've been searching everywhere for potential haunted places and the mall sure sounded like a good hit. I used to work there at "the brick" a couple of years back and have not heard of hauntings anywhere near there other than by the miseracordia hospital.

You either sound afraid of the owners...or they are really sticklers lol...or both. I'm sure it would be uncomfortable to bring something like that up though.

#13 Megan140

Megan140

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

aww, that's really too bad. I've been searching everywhere for potential haunted places and the mall sure sounded like a good hit. I used to work there at "the brick" a couple of years back and have not heard of hauntings anywhere near there other than by the miseracordia hospital.

You either sound afraid of the owners...or they are really sticklers lol...or both. I'm sure it would be uncomfortable to bring something like that up though.

Not so much fear as hatred. The oldest member of that retard family comes down once a month and yells at one of us over something we have no control over.
There is a bright side. A friend of mine is a shift leader. With her help I could possibly get recordings in our warehouse or one of the halls.

#14 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Megan I love this thread! Very interesting posts about the mall. Never been to that part of Canada yet but WEM will be the first place I'd check out.

#15 ali88baba

ali88baba

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy cooking, baking, playing The Sims 2 on PC, crochet, and of course, ghost stories!

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

Wow Megan, that sounds like a fun mall. They seem to have everything...it's even more interesting that there's some possible paranormal happenings going on. Love your stories, and look forward to hearing about your investigations(if it's possible to investigate).
Take care...Ali

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users