27 replies to this topic

#1 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

I am running xp with zonealarm as a firewall. Today I have a popup that keeps returning that tells me that a dangerous virus has been found and trying to get me to go to a site for removal, yea like I would trust these jerks! ;)

popup seems to breeze through zonealarm. I cleaned out my cookies, temp file (one couldn't be removed said it was in use), but the popup persists.

If anyone knows a way to force a deletion from the temp file in xp, or has a good adware spyware removal program, I'd love to know about it.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

AntiVir. That took the very last little evil piece of spyware that was remaining on my comp.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 TallulahB

TallulahB

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MY LIKES:<br />Reading, Meeting New People, learning, learning, and learning (One thing they can't take away is your education)*** HOCKEY!! ( RED WINGS!!),***((even though Steve Yzerman retired...the Greatest Game will go on)) I have always had an interest in the paranormal, but then again, there are some scary people here in the land of the living.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

I have found "Spybot" search n destroy to be real good. On the other hand...Zonealarm was giving me fits, just all of a sudden. Norton was another one I was having problems with. It wouldn't allow me to run some normal programs. Now I'm running Anti Vir 6.....it seems to be much smoother than the others. I guess some programs have a problem working with others. Good Luck
"The will to believe is powerful" ...(Houdini)

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:02 AM

Thanks, I'll do a search and find AntiVir. I have acronis on my system and just did a complete system restore to the last saved image I made. The spyware is gone now as the image was before infection occurred.

Obviously zonealarm just doesn't cut the mustard as a firewall. Any recommendations on a rock solid firewall? ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:43 AM

ZoneAlarm works pretty well for me, where at one time it didn't. I also used Sygate Personal Firewall and that seemed to do the trick as well. I switched from Sygate to Zone Alarm, but I don't remember why. Also, SpySweeper will alert you to any changes made to your computer whenever you've shut it down. When you restart it, it pops up with a screen that makes you aware of the changes, even if it's something YOU did. If you want to keep the changes, you just tell it to keep the changes; everything else it just wipes out.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#6 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:00 AM

search and destroy seems to miss quite a bit during bad infections. Ad-aware SE personal works perfect for me, its free for personal users on www.download.com
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

ZoneAlarm suxz. I have found out from experience that trend micro products are by far the best

http://www.trendmicr.../enterprise.htm

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#8 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

I personally don't think there is only one spyware removal program that will get EVERYTHING nor is there one firewall that will stop every single thing. Not until they start really going after hackers or crackers or whatever you want to call them, but personally I think this is how the computer industry wants it so that we are forced to buy more crap to protect ourselves.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#9 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:12 PM

well ice, as long as theres freeware, they wont get a penny from me.
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#10 reticent1

reticent1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Am a single mom and registered nurse. I have a deep passion for music - any and all kinds. Play piano and write music, too. I enjoy pretty much all forms of art. Reading keeps me thinking, and writing poetry keeps me sane. Obviously, i'm interested in the paranormal, but am especially interested in the photographic aspect of paranormal research.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

I use Avast! and PrevX - both free, and after Spybot S&D missed the really bad stuff, Avast did the trick. Prevx will only prevent intrusions, though - not clean them out - but has been very, very effective.
Posted ImagePosted ImageA closed mouth gathers no feet.

#11 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

I have downloaded a trial version of PC-cillin Internet Security 2005. It seems to have it all, firewall, antivirus, adware removal and more. It will be interesting to see if this firewall remains more solid that Zonealarm. Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. :lol:

#12 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

As one person said, no spyware removal program will get everything. Consumer Reports recently did an article on the subject, and they recommend at least 2. Some people recommend more than that. I use both Ad Aware and Spybot, and they clean up most of the junk. For pop-ups, I'd recommend a browser with pop-up blocking capability built in. Preferably not something from Microsoft. Mozilla Firefox is probably the most popular browser among the real computer geeks, and it's just as easy to use as IE. In addition to pop-up blocking it also has a preference to prevent websites from running software from their pages. This can cause some things you want to work not to, but you can always turn it off on those pages. Firewalls are necessary and good to have, but they aren't going to stop spyware. Spyware is often packaged with programs you download and install. For instance, the "official" version of Kazaa! is loaded with Spyware. Many shareware programs contain spyware as well until you pay for the full versions.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#13 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:56 PM

I personally use Spybot and AdAware... usually if one misses something, the other will pick it up. As well, I have McAfee antivirus (only because I get it free from work, and get all of the updates free so I can work at home if needed, and transfer it back to work). And on top of McAfee I run the PC-cillin free scan from Trend Micro every now and then. I have only had one "bug" give me a hard time, and between the 4 pieces of software I mentioned, I was able to get rid of it. I also use ZoneAlarm as my pop-up blocker and haven't had any problems as of yet with it.

I have heard (and I don't know how true this is), that some anti-virus software will pick up virii that others miss, because of the names not being recognized on some, and being recognized on others. So if you have anti-virus software running on your computer, it never hurts to get a second scan from one of the free ones online.
Posted Image

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

This is what finally worked for me when I got hit by Spyware two weeks ago.

First, AdAware. Dealt with the smaller stuff. Then, SpyBot Search & Destroy. Got rid of all but one wee bit of CoolWWWSearch. CWShredder picked up on one or two hidden CoolWWWSearch that the other two missed.

But we were still getting those pop ups that say we might be infected with spyware or that our mailbox is overloaded with spam (what, they think we're morons or something!), plus something was continiously changing my homepage in IE. I couldn't seem to get rid of it, and I knew it was connected to CoolWWWSearch.Leftovers.

Hubby called the guy that built our comp, he suggested AntiVir. And THAT finally got rid of that last bit.

I still have two or three tracking cookies that I can't delete, but they aren't as much of a worry for me.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,548 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

i had some major trouble with spyware a few months back. do you have KAZAA downloaded on your computer? thats where i kept getting it from.
Check out my artwork at: http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users