• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

~Canis, I think this is a great idea & hopefully it'll work the second time around...but who knows. All I know is I've been "like this" since I was in my early teens. It's not a guarantee everytime, but I'm learning on which thoughts are the best...and it's usually always the first one, which were the picture of wires I had in my head. So maybe subconciously (sp?) Canuck was still frazzled about having to deal with electrical issues. I'm not sure, but I just honestly said what I saw. I threw it out there, at the expense of either being ignored or chuckled at ( I do alot of chuckling at myself, so it's all good).
Either way, having a controlled environment when doing this type of experiment is a great idea and I hope we can do it again.

Hey Laurie Anne:

The one thing you don't need to do is apologize for who or what you are, or for what you experienced.

You experienced something. We are now in the process of trying to figure out what it was.

That is what scientific research is all about.

Stick with us here, and let's see where it leads.

Canuk,

I do not read this as Laurie apologizing, but rather just explaining her situation. I certainly hope that she was not apologizing. To say that she was apologizing makes it sound like she was attacked, which she was not. I was not commenting on her or her abilities, only the meaningfulness of this particular answer in regards to your experiment. I did so because it was a good example of how easily we can acheive false results in any experiment that is not properly controled.

I understand what you are saying about signals & noise, but I have to question it's validity. If someone runs an experiment with no controls, thay are simply using their subjective opinion to determine if there is a signal or not. They might as well skip the experiment and simply declare that there is a signal. Controls are put in place to remove subjectivity. The danger is that a person can let themselves be convinced of their own bias by an experiment without proper controls. Then when things are later tightened, if the results do not continue to go their way, they end up creating ad-hoc hypotheses to explain the results and maintain their theory in the face of contrary evidence. That is not good science.

I don't mean to be a pain or to lecture you. I honestly like what you are doing here and think it is fun. It is your experiment and you can run it the way you like for sure. I just like to talk about this sort of thing. I'm looking forward to seeing how round two comes out, and I will try my hand at it if I can arrange the time to do so.

Laurie Ann,

if I said anything that made you feel defensive, I sincerely apologize. I truly was not commenting on you. Only the absolute need to control such an experiment as this in order to make it valid.

Regards all, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#17 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

This is a really way cool experiment. I hope I'm in a nice quiet place at that time so I can participate also.

Whatever

#18 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Ohh heavens no Canis....I certainly didn't take anything you said as offensive. Not at all hun.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#19 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Ohh heavens no Canis....I certainly didn't take anything you said as offensive. Not at all hun.

Glad to hear it Laurie Ann. :clap:

I just wanted to make sure after what Canuck said.

Regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#20 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

Another day, another experiment........................!

On thing this experiment has made particularly obvious is how hard it is to focus on just one image in one's mind.

While I was projecting the image for the experiment, my attempts at projection were being swamped by an image of a bear being chased by a cougar. Go figure!

So did anyone get anything? Or was someone else projecting the bear and cougar thing?

#21 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

~Honestly, the only thing that kept coming to mind was a "picture within a picture"...just not sure what this means & yes, yes this time I'm chuckling at myself. lol
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#22 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

~Honestly, the only thing that kept coming to mind was a "picture within a picture"...just not sure what this means & yes, yes this time I'm chuckling at myself. lol

The image I was trying to project (Around the bear being chased by the cougar!!) was of the Statue of Liberty overlaying a background of an intense red and yellow sunset.

I composed this image because both components would be very familiar to most people, and could be easily visualised.

While your vision of a picture within a picture could be interpreted as seeing both components of the image I was projecting, it is too bad you didn't get any details. Details would be pretty conclusive.

Beyond that, we seem to have a shortage of participants. Too bad; it would have been interesting to see what others got.

So, maybe we can try this again sometime in the future. In the meantime, thanks for your efforts.

#23 Draggon

Draggon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

I got a dog when i sat and listened with my mind

#24 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

~I know it's too late for this to matter & I should've included this before but figured it didn't mean too much, but I "felt" the color yellow when I saw the picture within a picture. Next time, no matter if I think it's important or not, I'll include everything. I just have this fear of being laughed at. lol

#25 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

~I know it's too late for this to matter & I should've included this before but figured it didn't mean too much, but I "felt" the color yellow when I saw the picture within a picture. Next time, no matter if I think it's important or not, I'll include everything. I just have this fear of being laughed at. lol

Interesting, particularly in light of your getting the "wires" last time.

The image I was projecting was a composite of two photographs: a very spectacular sunset I photographed in the South Pacific, in which there are a lot of very intense horizontal yellow bands reflected off the clouds. The other component was a close up of the head and torch of the Statue of Liberty; this is copper green. I overlaid the one image over the other in Photoshop.

I made this composite picture deliberately in that I wanted to include components that would be intense and recognisable. Clearly, an intense yellow background met these criteria.

While Canis will no doubt point out the fact that we have a minuscule data base, that what we have is statistically insignificant, and that we can easily rationalize away your observations; but I think it is notable that you have picked out some significant content from two individual projected thoughts.

Acknowledging the paucity of data points, you do seem to have something that is rising above the "noise"; this can be confirmed by repetition and the accumulation of data points.

I think if we repeat this experiment another couple of times, and you still keep getting something that looks promising, we may then start to institute some of the protocols referred to by Canis previously. By this means we can determine whether or not we have something real, and if so, develop it into something more concrete.

In the meantime, others may be laughing, but I certainly am not.

We can try this again in a couple of weeks.

#26 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Sorry guys I tried and I got nothing. I'll try it again next time because it is very interesting!

Whatever

#27 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

~Thank you Canuck. I'd love to keep trying this for as long as you'd like. As far as Canis goes, I appreciate & respect his views (as I know you do as well). I almost didn't mention that I felt the color yellow because it was after the fact that you had already mentioned an intense red & yellow sunset....I just am not sure what to include when I "see & feel" things. But please know that by you having these controlled experiments, I also am learning as well. I enjoy doing these experiments & hope to not let you down.

#28 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

While Canis will no doubt point out the fact that we have a minuscule data base, that what we have is statistically insignificant, and that we can easily rationalize away your observations; but I think it is notable that you have picked out some significant content from two individual projected thoughts.

Canuck, you're gonna put me out of a job. :hug:

In the meantime, others may be laughing, but I certainly am not.

I'm not laughing either.

I don't laugh at people beause they want answers to their questions.

#29 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:59 AM

I got a dog when i sat and listened with my mind

Did you specifically see a dog, or some kind of large furry animal?

I am thinking of the image that kept appearing in my mind while I was "transmitting" my image; ie: the image of a bear being pursued by a cougar.

Possibly we have another manifestation of two parallel channels transmitting?

In this case, who is the transmitter, and who is the receiver?

This is getting more interesting all the time, BUT WE NEED MORE PARTICIPANTS!!!!!!

#30 wipsi

wipsi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

The parapsychological literature would indicate that distance does not matter and knowing someone (especially being emotionally attached) makes the possibility of a positive result greater.

I am interested in conducting an experiment in ESP. Specifically, I want to see the following:

1. Does it work for me.
2. Does it make a difference if the participants are unknown to each other.
3. Does geographic location and distance make any difference.

So, at exactly 00.00hrs Greenwich Mean Time on Sunday, January 31st, I will sit in my office and visualize a particular image in my mind. I will do it for five minutes.

Anyone who is interested in participating is encouraged to do so, and then post their impressions of what they think the image is on this site afterwards.

Also, participants are encouraged to make any constructive suggestions regarding experimental method.

I donít know how to do this (which is why I am conducting the experiment), but I suggest that participants sit in a quiet location, and note if any particularly strong images come to mind during the period of the experiment.

To ensure co-ordination and timing:

0.00hrs Sunday GMT = 7.00pm Saturday in NYC = 4.00pm Saturday LA = 11.00am Sunday Sydney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users