• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:23 AM

Ok as for a religion i dont like talking about it becasue no matter what is said about anyone religion someone no matter when or where either gets angery or upset.

the term religion

(generic definition of): A means of getting in touch with and of attaining at-onement with "ultimate reality." In slightly different words, a religion is a system of symbols (e.g., words and gestures, stories and practices, objects and places) that functions religiously, namely, an ongoing system of symbols that participants use to draw near to, and come into right or appropriate relationship with, what they deem to be ultimate reality.
Generally a belief in a deity and practice of worship, action, and/or thought related to that deity. Loosely, any specific system of code of ethics, values, and belief.
www.carm.org/atheism/terms.htm

belief in supernatural or divine power that invites expression in conduct and often involving ethics and a philosophy (or a specific system of such belief and conduct)
www.teachingaboutreligion.org/MiniCourse/glossary.htm

1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny. 2. any formal or institutionalised expression of such belief.

the term pagan
a person who does not acknowledge your God
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn
a practitioner of an Earth Religion; from the Latin paganus, a country dweller.
www.conjure.com/COG/idef.html

A pagan is someone who practices a religion other than Christianity, Judaism or Islam, especially the polytheistic religions of the ancient Romans and Greeks. Paganism also refers to a group of practices originating from pre-Christian Europe, which include the worship of nature, polytheism and the female deity (The Goddess).
www.sanatan.org/en/glossary/p.htm

This word has many unrelated meanings. Some definitions are: Wiccans and other Neopagans sometimes use Pagan as a synonym for Neopagan.
www.religioustolerance.org/gl_p.htm

From the Latin "Paganus" meaning country dweller. Country folk were the last people to be converted to Christianity.
www.webeffects-aus.com/quicksilversmagic/glossary.html

A religion which isn't Christian, Jewish or Muslim based. Nature worshipping religion.
www.mysticaltemple.com/content/glossary.htm

A person who follows non christian or other socially established faiths. They are usually of an earth based faith or religion. This includes family's taught practices that might including witch craft, psychic gifts and the like.
thecronescorner.com/Definitions.html

the term agnostic
a person who believes that, at our present level of knowledge, we cannot know whether or not a God exists.
www.religioustolerance.org/gl_a.htm

here: officially supporting neither one side nor the other. Usually refers to someone who believes people cannot know whether God exists or not.
www.ideels.uni-bremen.de/glossary.html

An Agnostic [1] [noun] [OW] embraces a worldview in which the existence of deity is unknown or unknowable. Derives from the Greek agnostos, a = without, gnostos = known or knowledge. "Agnostic[ism] [CE] was coined by Professor T.H. Huxley in 1869 to describe the mental attitude of one who regarded as futile all attempts to know the reality corresponding to our ultimate scientific, philosophic, and religious ideas."
members.aol.com/porchnus/dict01.htm

One who believes that we cannot prove the existence or the non-existence of deity. Many agnostics believe that we cannot know anything about deity or deities at the present time, but that this could conceivably change in the future. A "hard agnostic" feels that such knowledge will always be beyond human understanding.
www.getnet.net/~jcosta/glossary.html

person who thinks human mind is incapable of knowing whether there is a God, or an ultimate reality, or anything beyond material phenomenon
www.spiritualeducation.org/Library/Glossary.htm

The word Agnostic derives from the negation of the Greek word [gnosis], which means esoteric knowledge of higher things. Thus, a'gnostic means No-knowledge or not knowing.
mountainretreat.org/glossary.html

(Not committed to a belief in the existence or non-existence of any deity.)
24.26.194.252:13752/eqinfo1_glossary_printable.html

a person who believes there is a God but he takes no personal interest in His creation. Since God takes has no interest in us, agnostics believe He could care less what we do or believe. Therefore, they believe there is no accountability for their actions or beliefs.
www.rosehillashland.com/gospel/dictionary.html

A MetaPhysical Orientation toward the Divine, that stipulates that it is not possible to know anything about the Divine, including whether it exists or not.
gardenoflifetemple.com/02WhoWeAre/Definitions.html

the term spirituality
Sites focusing on the spirit or the soul, evangelizing spiritual practice, celebrating God(s) or any other divine power - traditional or otherwise. Sites that focus on the spirit or the soul. These include sites which provide information about the ritual, history and practice of all forms of spirituality, church and temple sites, online confessions, virtual prayer groups, and astrology sites as well as sites that provide a platform for direct online spiritual experience.
www.webbyawards.com/main/webby_awards/cat_defs.html

1. the state or quality of being dedicated to God, religion, or spiritual things or values, especially as contrasted with material or temporal ones.
www.nzspiritualdirectory.net.nz/Definitions.htm

This is generally understood to refer to the path of awareness. Unfortunately, however, this term has taken on a separative meaning. For example, “spiritual” has been divided from “physical.” Yet in authentic awareness, there can be no such separation. Back to Top
www.ishvara.org/Glossary.html

(a) relating to spirit or sacred matters; (:) being connected to the essence of self, others and life; © an experience of coming home to self and connecting to others
www.help-yourself.com/Grow/term.html

is the experience or relationship with the empowering source of ultimate value, purpose and meaning of human life producing healing and hope, and is articulated in diverse beliefs and practices of individuals and communities (SDH Spiritual Care).
www.sdh.sk.ca/ships/PHReports/senreport/Main/Glossary.htm

AGAIN I DID NOT POST THIS TO OFFEND ANYONE AND IF I DID I AM TRUELY SORRY
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:27 AM

Wow, intresting information here! We can have a detailed discussion on each!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

thanks i am abit of a book and internet worm lol
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#4 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

I agree with Moon, very descriptive and informative info linuxbear, I dont think it will offend anyone, if anything it will educate those that arent familiar with other religions, always a positive ;)
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users