• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Alright.. I've been hearing about this little device lately, and would like some input from those who may know more:

"Designed to go in the field this device is ready to assist in paranormal investigations! Able to create speech and phonetic speech from the immediate environment you'll quickly make this device the corner stone of your field investigations.

Features Include:

Speech Mode: using the environment to pick the words to say

Phonetic Mode: using the environment to create words phonetically

Commutation Mode: using Speech Mode and Phonetic mode

EMF Mode: Talking EMF mode

Yes / No Mode: Ask questions and get Yes or No answers

Level Mode: watch the energy change in the environment

Dowsing Mode: works like a pair of dowsing rods!"

Posted Image

http://www.digitaldo...com/Ovilus1.htm
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 wuwei

wuwei

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hi, I don't have one and can't speak from experience. This thing seems a little ridiculous to me. It assumes that spirits can modify the environment in such a way that they can influence the correct numerical descriptor of a dictionary of - I think - 300 words or so?

I guess it depends on the type of investigations that you do. Are you more Ghost Hunters or Paranormal State? :clap:

If you want to experiment in a less expensive way you could try the EVP maker software. It uses a similar approach.

Personally I wouldn't waste money on this based on what I can see up front. However if you do decide to buy one and can document that it provides valid and reliable responses, please let us know.

Wuwei

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

I posted an explanation a while back on this this sham. But for those who may have missed it, one more time:

The device has a canned vocabulary list of words. Most are related to what one might consider likely to appear in a paranormal context. (First irregularity in that the expected communication is weighted, not simply based on likely words to be spoken. )

The words are also sorted into nouns, adjectives, adverbs, verbs. It is a fact known to any English teacher that words generally appear in a certain order in an English sentence. Thus it becomes easy to assume that a sentence will have the available words in a particular order to make sense. Nothing paranormal there.

Each word has a numerical value assigned to it. That is teh number used by the device to select the words from memroy. It becomes a matter of selecting the desired word. That is basicly a random action by the device.

So what happens is that the device generates internal white noise. This is digitized and a series of numbers is assigned in a random pattern since the noise itself is random. Next this random series of numbers is compared against the nimric value of the words in memory. The closeast approximation, not a real match since that would be almost impossible, is made. This would result in a sequence of words which make no sense, but the device does follow the basic "rules" regarding placement of words in a sentence. ( nouns, verbs, etc.) Thus we can derive a sentence that may appear to have some meaning. It is like picking a pseudo-random series of words, then arranging them in an order to make a sentence.

All very good if we assume that a spirit first has an understanding of binary numeric values, the words assigned to such weighted values, the ability to manipulate these values in to a proper order, and control over a random signal like white noise electronically generated. Kind of stretches credibility in my book. If a spirit has that much inteeligence, why doesn't it simply speak the message it wants us to hear?

So regarding Ovilus, it is a parlor game, nothing more. I certainly would not use one for any serious communication attempt with anything.

#4 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

So far as the question directed towards me on how I investigate: I investigate like a researcher. Neither Ghost Hunters, nor Paranormal State influences my investigations. While TAPS may come across as a more professional group of investigators, to some anyway, I still find things I don't care for in their processes. But, then again, they are making a television show, which is edited for time and entertainment content, so perhaps they aren't ignoring the aspects I like to touch on, but rather they just aren't included in the show.

So far as a previous posting on this device, I searched Ovilus and Ovilus I, and did not come up with anything on the site. I apologize for double listing a topic that's been discussed, but I did try to avoid this.

After hearing the explanation of this device, and seeing what the "odds" are for it to function the way it was intended to, I can't see it being a very wise purchase. In fact, the only thing I can really see useful about this device is perhaps including it in some psi testing (what with the history of psi ability on random number generators). That might be worth some looking into - but to attempt to use it with something you have no actual communication with.. The thing just seems too volatile to me.

I appreciate the feedback, guys.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 cayen1234

cayen1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

While it is true that Digital Dowsing (on it's website and products) clearly states that this item is for entertainment purposes only. There is a solid reason for this, as the creator of the product goes to great lengths to not claim what comes through on his device. Just because the creator shy's away from making bold claims doesn't mean that the Ovilus isn't an interesting tool. (Yes I said tool not toy)

The Ovilus comes preloaded with 512 words in its internal dictionary. It also has a phonic mode capable of 72 different sounds which forms the basis to any spoken word in the english language. It also has a talking EMF mode, a digital dowsing rod mode, and several others I've neglected to try out. the real selling point to this device is the dictionary mode.
So your chances of getting a related word to your question in dictionary mode is 1:512
in phonic mode: 1:72

I have been very skeptical of this device, yet I own one. I have to wonder about how much is purely babble with an occasional relevant word to a question you ask the open air. The Ovilus uses EMF numbers to choose the word it speaks. The Ovilus will bounce around a few key words, Which I take as the base words for a room. It's not unlike sweeping a room for the base reading of a room then looking for high spikes in EMF. The problem with this device is the same source where it derives words, EMF. This product is really chatty and that chattiness is very random bouncing from word to word to word with very little Rhyme and reason.

This is were the Ovilus will give you a right hook. You need to pay attention to those words that it spews out. From time to time it will send out a word that does not appear in it's internal list of 512 words. You also need to watch for strings of related words coming from the ovilus. Each word has a random EMF number assigned to it. lowering the possiblity that words can be strung together by a minor change in the enviroment.

This device has changed my perception on EMF and how humans affect this enviroment. Having used it many times I have had quite a few experiences that have left me scratching my head, wondering if maybe we've been looking at EMF the wrong way all these year. While I'm still not ready to call the Ovilus a standard item for any investigator, it is an item that needs alot more rigorous testing by both skeptics and believers in this field to get a full spectrum of results on this device.

If you'd like to be really technical every device and piece of evidence can be considered a sham if your close minded enough. This is why it's experimental, it's not known how or why the enviroment is influencing the device, but it does.

#6 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

Interesting thoughts.

Yes, I do tend to be quite technical about what I'm doing. That often makes me appear close minded to those whom are easily swayed by coincidence. Keep in mind, I'm not saying everything that happens is a coincidence, but if the words in this unit were programmed by a person, and they decided what words come out at what levels of EMF are present..well, there's absolutely no way that could be a set up, is there?

Paying attention to every single word that comes out during the use of this device, so that you hope you can make a connection later on down the road, is the same thing as playing the guessing game. After guessing a number between 1 and 10, say you get it right 6 guesses in. That would leave some pondering how on earth a person could have possibly guessed the correct number..and others would realize it's called "chance" for a reason.

Regardless of what this device can or can't do, it wont ever change my perception of EMF in the field, because I'm aware that measuring EMF is just that.. I'm not measuring a ghost with an electromagnetic field detector. Period. I'm measuring another element in the environment. I don't care at what level of mG something can say, "Help." I care about what level activity seems to be present. There have been far too many witnesses to paranormal phenomena, without the use of "the dead intercom," to actually need one of these. I'd like to find out how the environment changes during these events, not how cohesive the thoughts of all dead people and the creator of this box are.

It's not like a box that the dead can speak through is a new idea, by any stretch. And after seeing how credible that one was, I think I'm ok to worry about just how legitimate this one is.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

Let's apply a little rationale to this problem. Suppose for a minute we wanted to build a device that allows a spirit to talk to us. What would it require?

First, assume the spirit has little or no technical background. That rules out their having a method or the knowledge to manipulate EM Fields. They may however have the ability to perform a simple act, pressing a button or maybe even simply pass near a button or sensor which could in fact detect their presence. We might even connect this sensor to a simple indicator to show their presence.

Now take that one step farther and use multiple sensors or buttons. If we were to assigne a few key words, phrases or maybe even letters we in theory have a simple way to allow communication. Such techniques have been tried, with little or no success though. Why?

It would seem that such simple actions are either beyond the ability of the spirits, or the spirits choose not to communicate. That being the case, why would we believe that a spirit who chooses to either ignore or not understand such a simple concept now has the ability to know that by creating an EM Field of a certain milligauss will cause an Ovilus to say a certain word? Not only that, by changing these field intensities it can do so in such a manner as to create speech, and do it in just the right sequence to cause a device it likely has never seen before to respond in a manner to transmit that speech????

I would say for a living, breathing human who does understand the concept here that would be a daunting task, even if he had access to a computer. But for a spirit who seems unable to utilize the simplest form of signalling, activating a sensor for example, I would call this type of control over an EM Field impossible.

#8 cayen1234

cayen1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

This coming from a field in which we don't even know if a spirit really exists or not.

As for the living human element, I'm beginning to wonder about the effects humans can have on the device. Let me elaborate a little on this. A few weeks ago I took this device to a non paranormal place to see what the human effects were on this device. When I turned it on, it babbled away (tophat, stars, cake) really random stuff like normal. that was until two guys started playing a miniatures game catty corner to us. when they started to declare attacks and combat the ovilus shifted. focusing on a really tight niche of words (Shoot, Attack, Violence, Kill) when they finished it went back to it's randomness again. While most would blow it off I paid closer attention to it. Again it was random until the two guys got into the combat phase of their game and it swung around again to those words. Then backed off to complete randomness when they finished.

According to science we give off no magnetic field. Yet the device seemed to react to something. As for the store, I've checked for stray emf fields in the big open space. There is no reason why the device acted they way it did. I'm not saying it's perfect or the end all that the device, however it's a start. Maybe instead of focusing on "What's possible" or "What's Impossible" on a subject matter that science still considers impossible. We should focus on pursuing new lines of thought for this subject.

#9 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

You are more than welcome to test to your heart's content. No one will stop you from doing so. It sounds like you had an interesting test run during that time period.. However, I have two questions:

1. A non-paranormal place? How exactly can you classify a place "non-paranormal," when you yourself said "This coming from a field in which we don't even know if a spirit really exists or not."

2. You stated that we give off no magnetic field, according to science. Where does this information come from? The human body certainly does not produce an AC field, I realize.. But, if this is the case, what exactly is an EEG measuring if not the electromagnetic field from our brain?

I think the issue here is not focusing on what's "possible," or "impossible," it's on making use of what we do know. There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking into new methods, techniques and equipment - but there's also no reason to disregard the foundation we already have in science, unless something credible and/or measurable is available. This devices is neither. It is interesting, but it is not going to change the perceptions of those who have the proper means to investigate the situation fully (and by this, I mean experts in a similar field of study whom have the proper instrumentation and capabilities to run secure and legitimate experiments).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

This coming from a field in which we don't even know if a spirit really exists or not.

As for the living human element, I'm beginning to wonder about the effects humans can have on the device. Let me elaborate a little on this. A few weeks ago I took this device to a non paranormal place to see what the human effects were on this device. When I turned it on, it babbled away (tophat, stars, cake) really random stuff like normal. that was until two guys started playing a miniatures game catty corner to us. when they started to declare attacks and combat the ovilus shifted. focusing on a really tight niche of words (Shoot, Attack, Violence, Kill) when they finished it went back to it's randomness again. While most would blow it off I paid closer attention to it. Again it was random until the two guys got into the combat phase of their game and it swung around again to those words. Then backed off to complete randomness when they finished.

According to science we give off no magnetic field. Yet the device seemed to react to something. As for the store, I've checked for stray emf fields in the big open space. There is no reason why the device acted they way it did. I'm not saying it's perfect or the end all that the device, however it's a start. Maybe instead of focusing on "What's possible" or "What's Impossible" on a subject matter that science still considers impossible. We should focus on pursuing new lines of thought for this subject.

I would have no problem with someone taking something like this and doing a study on it. If in fact the Ovilus responds in the manner so stated here it appears that (a) something repeatable is going on, and (;) an experiment should be able to be designed to replicate it under controlled conditions.

For instance if we assume that it happens exactly as stated we know certain things must be responsible. For one, the Ovilus responds to EM Fields, that's how it's designed. We also know there are ways to monitor such fields and detect changes in them. So it would seem an experiment, whereby an Ovilus is set up in close proximity to those who can affect it should produce some form of change in EM Fields. If that change is detected by an Ovilus, it would also be detected by other EMF devices as well, including possibly an EEG machine. So the experiment is obvious, set up and not only detect the field, but learn about the nature of the field as well.

#11 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

(Look out! First post here. )

Personally, anything with PARANORMAL-this, or GHOST-that, or ECTO- anything printed right on it is a BIG RED FLAG to me.

Caveat emptor.
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#12 Preacher13

Preacher13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

I would say the Ovilus IS experimental equipment AND a waste of money!

We have one in our group and it's had some odd coincidences, but so far I can't say I'm overly impressed. It does add some entertainment during a slow night of investigating though...

#13 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

I wouldn;t even say experimental...it was designed to do a specific thing...assign a word to a certain EM level. Oh, and to sucker people out of their money. Period.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#14 SacPar

SacPar

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

We got a chance to attend the event at Wolfe Manor that Beyond Reality put on. During our session with Barry Fitzgerald, we got a chance to use the Ovilus during an EVP session. It used names, which aren't included in the dictionary. It also kept repeating words like music, sick, tired, mother, milk, breast, and fierce. (It seems from stories I've read that fierce comes up quite often.)

I thought the Ovilus was interesting, but how do you prove it's accurate? I also found the device hard to understand since it uses a very 'computerized' voice.

#15 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Whose to say the models used in these seminars aren't preprogrammed with words that those using it have researched ahead of time? Do they use more than one? Can somebody who bought one of these things online come in and get exactly the same results during the same session? Do they even run more than one at once to see if they both get the same answer?

Until they apply some real science to these things and stop telling us outright that they are doing what they do, I won't believe one digitized syllable out of them.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users