Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

haunted nursing homes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: seeing them

working the night shift have you ever seen a ghost?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

have you ever had a voice behind you say your name and no one was there?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

did the residents ever talk about seeing ghosts

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 THE DARK RAVEN

THE DARK RAVEN

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

I worked in a nursing home for 13yrs.And i have seen alot of things at night.
Most of the aids wouldn't work in the unit. it was a safe place for the residents to wonder and not get hurt.you would hear all kinds of different noises like someone walking and no one there. You would hear voices calling your name.I just wanted to know if other workers have been there.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. "'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door Only this, and nothing more." Edgar Allan Poe Posted Image

#2 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

I don't work in a nursing home, but I do work for a large, inner city hospital, which is also a level 1 trauma center which means we get the worst of the worst in sick patients. I work in the inpatient pharmacy and I work alone in the clean room where we make IVs for the patients. I hear a lot of strange things in this clean room, considerind that on the other side of the wall is the morgue. Not sure if there are any resident spirits, or if they are all transient, but there really is a good chance that there are some resident spirits there since the main part of the hospital has been there since the 1880's and was a nursing school, so housed a lot of nursing students over the years.

There was one time when I was preparing an IV in the sterile flow hood that we use for that purpose. I was just getting ready to inject the drung into the bag when I got the feeling someone was behind me...then I heard this long inhalation of breath like someone was taking a deep breath, then I heard a quick short exhalation and felt a cool puff of air on my neck!...Believe me, I finished that IV in record time, slapped the patient label on it and booked it out of that clean room so fast you would have thought it was on fire. It took me several minutes to calm down and go back to my job.

All of us who have worked third shift have experienced something...and some periods of tiem it becomes a daily occurance.

I worked in a nursing home for 13yrs.And i have seen alot of things at night.
Most of the aids wouldn't work in the unit. it was a safe place for the residents to wonder and not get hurt.you would hear all kinds of different noises like someone walking and no one there. You would hear voices calling your name.I just wanted to know if other workers have been there.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

I've worked nights for years and have felt things and heard things, but I've never seen anything. :(
The hospital I work in is over 100 years old, well the site has had a working hospital on it for over 100 years anyway, and they keep building new aditions over the older parts.
There are a lot of stories, But I'm afraid I havn't directly experianced anything there that couldn't be explained away. :(
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#4 hellpaso

hellpaso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:paranormal experience/research for over 30 (ouch!) years

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

i've been an rn for over 25 years and every single hospital i've worked in has had paranormal things happen. from water faucets turning themselves on, doors opening and closing, defibrillators and tvs turning themselves on, to actual apparitions in the hallways. one facility i worked in had an apparition that was seen by many people, including my husband and best friend. this happened all three shifts, too. it was a woman in an older (white polyester) style nursing uniform. she would appear at the elevators in the basement of the hospital, and would ask an employee getting off the elevator "where is the morgue?". (it was right around the corner). when the employee would answer, she would say "thank you" and walk around the corner. my husband and friend didn't realize she wasn't real until a group of us were talking about the ghost in the basement. their eyes got wide and they both shrieked--"i talked to her!!!" hilarity ensued!!!

#5 Bronte

Bronte

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

My fiancee works in a nursing home and the oh stories they tell! Everything from the nurse's station being buzzed by empty rooms to a full bodied apparition of a nurse and, my personal favorite, a room that is now used as storage because of the high activity level after an angry resident died. Everytime they tried putting someone in the room, all h--l would break loose. They tried telling the previous resident he had passed on and even went as far as have the room blessed but finally turned it into a storage room that nobody will go in alone.

#6 DreamWeaving

DreamWeaving

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

I bet places such as nursing homes or hospitals would have many spirits because these are places for the elderly and ill. Its interesting to read other's experiences.

Edited by DreamWeaving, 30 April 2007 - 11:45 PM.

#7 THE DARK RAVEN

THE DARK RAVEN

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.
I really enjoyed your stories!!!!!
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. "'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door Only this, and nothing more." Edgar Allan Poe Posted Image

#8 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:54 AM

My fiancee works in a nursing home and the oh stories they tell! Everything from the nurse's station being buzzed by empty rooms to a full bodied apparition of a nurse and, my personal favorite, a room that is now used as storage because of the high activity level after an angry resident died. Everytime they tried putting someone in the room, all h--l would break loose. They tried telling the previous resident he had passed on and even went as far as have the room blessed but finally turned it into a storage room that nobody will go in alone.

Okay your post threw me a bit for two reasons, the first nursing home I worked in had a room just like this, which was closed down and turned into storage for the same reason, and the the pic you are using for an avatar, I swear I just took a picture of that little headstone on Saterday!
I looked at it more closly though and it's not at all the same one. Just as similar design. It's just a bit odd because I had never noticed the one here before Saterday.
Just a bit weird, that's all, I guess. :Spaz:
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#9 TAPSfan

TAPSfan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

I agree with Dreamweaving that nursing homes would be areas I would think would have activity, because of the elderly who reside in them. Everyone has some interesting comments.

#10 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

My grandmother was in a nursing home for just over a year before she passed away at the age of 96.
I visited her almost everyday, during the day, not night and I never experienced anything paranormal.
My grandmother loved angels. I found a handmade one out of lace in a craft store, very beautiful and around her head was a gold strand with little stars for her halo. I gave this angel to my grandmother for Christmas, which happened to be her last Christmas. The day after Christmas, we hung it in her room where she could see it. Right after that, she kept talking about that angel and how "it lit up at night". Every day I visited her, she just kept talking about it and said that it kept lighting up, it was strange. I did not know what to think at the time. Till the day she passed away, she kept talking about that angel. I have
the angel now, and just hang it up a Christmastime, nothing paranormal has happened with it since.

I am sure nursing homes are the spot for the paranormal. Most of the elderly die right there, and it has been their final home for a while. I'm not sure if this is common and I hope not, but in my grandmother's nursing home, there were many people there that never had any visitors. It was really sad. I would take my grandmother in her wheelchair and we would visit the ones that never got visitors. Some were friendly, some were grumpy, but we tried. It is tough to put a loved one in a nursing home, but it comes a time when you have to. I wonder why they would come back to the nursing home as a spirit, as I am sure they never wanted to be there in the first place as a living being...
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#11 SherryWV

SherryWV

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

I worked in a nursing home for eleven years and during that time I saw and heard many things. The only time I saw a full body apparition however was during the day. One of the aides and I saw a girl walk into a room with only one way in or out, we followed her because we did not recognize her and when we got to the room it was empty. before the building was used for a nursing home it was a polio hospital for children and adults. Many of our residents would complain about the children making noise at night in their rooms.

#12 deadmike

deadmike

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi everyone, ok, well here it goes...it was abot 12:30pm today, i was lying in bed watching a little t.v. before my shift started, my wife comes in an decided it was time to get some rest as she had just worked on the gravyard shift at care home called, Jackman Manor in Aldergrove B.C. She took her usual 1/2 sleeping pill and covered up, i was just about to get up and leave when she turned to me and said "theres been some real weird events happening at work lately". I said " oh ya, more elderly running around naked again?" my wife said "no, i heard voices and this real irratating sound of someone humming in the nurses station?"

Ok, my friggin hair on the back of my neck stood up right there and then, as there were no residents in that area of the home...she continued to tell me the story:"The hallway to the nurses station have a series of doors that lock both ways as there are residents will time to time wander about,some with demencia and alzhimers.Anyways,a nurse and i herad this humming and got up to investigate.As i walked out of the station the humming got louder and louder to the the point it was like a frantic sort of insane humming like, someone who would humm to ignore pain or something,also, the humming was real echoing for some strange reson. I called for the only male care aid for assistance but to no avail,we found know one"

As i'm writing this, im still a little freaked out,and i know that there are more stories to be told at Jackman Mannor

Edited by deadmike, 08 September 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#13 ekpi_ghost_hunters

ekpi_ghost_hunters

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Everything Paranormal

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

My wife works at a nursing home here in KY and she's had several experiences with the paranormal. Stuff flying off shelves, disembodied voices, and even a full bodied apparition. Not to mention a resident who other wise is in full control of her senses swears she talks to Satan himself in person.

#14 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

Wow... Kinda glad the only thing I encountered while volunteering over at the old Carlisle Regional Medical Center building was the 5th floor. That used to be the floor they kept the insane on, and most of the time when I went up to deliver flowers newpapers or magazines, it was warmer than any of the other floors. 'Course, I usually started my rounds up there just to get it outta the way. It's really too bad they tore the building down a couple years ago, and built uber expensive condos on the land. I'd've loved to just wander around and investigate.

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGagzEKCoPLbla5DdimF62A

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

#15 fourthkind

fourthkind

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi everyone, ok, well here it goes...it was abot 12:30pm today, i was lying in bed watching a little t.v. before my shift started, my wife comes in an decided it was time to get some rest as she had just worked on the gravyard shift at care home called, Jackman Manor in Aldergrove B.C. She took her usual 1/2 sleeping pill and covered up, i was just about to get up and leave when she turned to me and said "theres been some real weird events happening at work lately". I said " oh ya, more elderly running around naked again?" my wife said "no, i heard voices and this real irratating sound of someone humming in the nurses station?"

Ok, my friggin hair on the back of my neck stood up right there and then, as there were no residents in that area of the home...she continued to tell me the story:"The hallway to the nurses station have a series of doors that lock both ways as there are residents will time to time wander about,some with demencia and alzhimers.Anyways,a nurse and i herad this humming and got up to investigate.As i walked out of the station the humming got louder and louder to the the point it was like a frantic sort of insane humming like, someone who would humm to ignore pain or something,also, the humming was real echoing for some strange reson. I called for the only male care aid for assistance but to no avail,we found know one"

As i'm writing this, im still a little freaked out,and i know that there are more stories to be told at Jackman Mannor

Hey deadmike~ What other haunting's and stories do you have regarding Jackman Mannor?I'm dying(ha)to know more!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users