Thoughts on TAPS

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#31 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

Right you are, vamp.

KRC: I think we probably agree, and at this point are into semantics. See for me, when I say debunk, I mean somebody complains about banging in the walls, you check the plumbing; flickering lights, you check the electricity; the sound of a bucket dropping, you see if there's an open shutter; you catch a bit of light, see if there's a mirror or a window... attempting first to debunk before counting your evidence.

But I mean this scientifically; I think (as we bring this back to TAPS) that this particular group holds more to this idea, rather than denying supernatural evidence, however improbable the mundane.

We do agree. I wasn't talking about that kind of thing. I was strictly discussing evidence here and the mind set of going into the investigation. We always go in neutral.

An example of what you are talking about...during our investigation of the chase on the lake hotel we were doing a tour previous to setting up. A door slammed after we walked by. Upon investigation, we discovered that it was the wind which had shifted directions and came through an open window. I shut the window and we never heard the door again. Yes, we do agree.

I just can't put any faith into what TAPS does for all of the reaons listed above.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 beccaluvsghostsntexas

beccaluvsghostsntexas

Looking for some frozen butt snowfairies.......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Anything paranormal!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:33 AM

I personally think it's a good way to approach an investigation. Some investigators go into a site & EVERYTHING they hear, smell or see IS paranormal. If you go into it thinking that things can be debunked then when something does happen that can't be explained away then you know you have something that may possibly be paranormal. Nothing more frustrating than seeing investigators accepting EVERYTHING as paranormal.

I understand what you are saying KRC & I am not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that I PREFER to go into it thinking that most things can be explained by some logical explanation. I also think that a good investigative team would be comprised of both kinds of investigators....some that want to debunk & some that accept everything at face value.

KRC, have you considered doing your own show?? I would tune in!!!
I really, really would!!!! Keep us posted! :toilet:
It's just Becca Posted Image

#33 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

I personally think it's a good way to approach an investigation. Some investigators go into a site & EVERYTHING they hear, smell or see IS paranormal. If you go into it thinking that things can be debunked then when something does happen that can't be explained away then you know you have something that may possibly be paranormal. Nothing more frustrating than seeing investigators accepting EVERYTHING as paranormal.

I understand what you are saying KRC & I am not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that I PREFER to go into it thinking that most things can be explained by some logical explanation. I also think that a good investigative team would be comprised of both kinds of investigators....some that want to debunk & some that accept everything at face value.

KRC, have you considered doing your own show?? I would tune in!!!
I really, really would!!!! Keep us posted! :ghost:

I agree with you that you cannot take everything at face value and I understand where you are coming from I just don't think that the investigation should be influenced either way prior to showing up. Of course you have to try and prove things to be mundane, that's a given and we always scrutinize everything very hard before we ever claim it to be paranormal...Heck, just look at how I am with photos, EVP and video on this site alone and believe me, I am no different when it comes to evidecne we have collected.

Yeah, I would do a show of our own but it would be very difficult to get a contract. I would have to have my finger in the pie so to speak when it came to production and over all look of the show. I would not allow anything altered in evidence. It would be tough but if any network wanted a true look into the paranormal investigative world, with nothing altered ever, I would do it.

#34 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:05 AM

I really don't care for the show. I think there are other groups that can do what Taps does, but better. I think many great groups out there try to provide rational explonations to things before claiming it to be paranormal. my sec problem with the show would be Sci-Fi with all the special effects they do. they seem to try to spice it up but to me its just goofy.

JMHO

#35 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

yeah, but if you've ever watched a sci-fi orginal movie, you know that their special effects team sucks. :hug:

If they wanted to fake evidence, you'd see the pixels.

#36 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

yeah, but if you've ever watched a sci-fi orginal movie, you know that their special effects team sucks. :P

If they wanted to fake evidence, you'd see the pixels.

yeah but you know Ghost Hunters has a higher budget than those original movies! :hug:

#37 Stacked

Stacked

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:33 AM

:wow: THere is a thread for Most Haunted on this board, so let's keep the majority of the comments for that show over there rather than here.

:P Sorry...I won't do it again.

#38 okieboo

okieboo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it is already posted, but there is a big trip coming up in November sponsored by TAPS, Nightwatch, and DarknessRadio.com. They are going to have alot of things going on, but one of the main things is an investigation with TAPS at the Stanley Hotel (The Shining Hotel). You can find out more about the trip on DarknessRadio.com's website. It sounds like fun!

#39 Guest_Crone_*

Guest_Crone_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:09 PM

I watched the show a couple of times when it first came on. I didn't care for their techniques as a paranormal investigation group as a whole, and there was entirely too much bickering and complaining going on. I don't get SciFi anymore on my cable, so I don't watch it at all now. About all I got out of it were good plumbing tips. Give me Bob Vila any day.

#40 RLMora

RLMora

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

K, First I would like to ask if anyone has seen the Stanley Hotel episode(I think it aired a couple times already), but I "Debunked" TAPS on that one....as a matter of fact, I was going to send an e-mail to them letting them know about the silly mishap that was by far 'human' and no where near the 'entity' category.
Jason was staying in the most haunted room there (which I will soon experience for myself in a few weeks),
but anyhow, after the closet door in his room opened and closed by itself, a glass on the night table shattered, and remained fairly intact except one small chunk of glass. But what I would like to know, is after they replayed it 3-4 times, each time I distinctly heard the small chunk of glass fall first before you can here the glass break. My hubby even agreed after the second replay that the sound of glass breaking should be before the piece falls on the table! Ever since then, we kinda dont take anything on the show to importantly, ironically though, I will staying in the same room when we go to Colorado, and just for kicks, we'll do our best to get "something" to do a neat empty glass trick....even if it doesnt work, it will be a good laugh for us anyway.

#41 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

I will have to watch for this episode again over their off season. I am curious to hear this for myself. This show is meant for entertainment only so I can see them using special effects to make things happen. Nice catch.

#42 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

You know, I thought that there was something odd about that whole part, but couldn't put my finger on it. I do remember thinking that Jason didn't look like someone soundly asleep. I was reminded of a kid trying to put one over on mom, so I thought that was what seemed hinky to me. I'll also look for that one in reruns to listen harder to the sound of the glass.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#43 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

nice catch i watch reruns looking for stuff like that missed that show
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#44 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

I think my biggest problem with TAPS is this:

It seems that the entire time they are investigating, they are bickering amongst themselves. I believe that if there was an entity in a location, the negative energy that the crew exudes would keep them away.

Debunking is all well and good, but when events happen over a course of years, I find it difficult that the claims would be so easily dismissed because nothing occured on the night TAPS is there.

I did,however, love the lighthouse episode..Did you see it? At the top of the spiral stairs, a voice was heard crying "help me.." As the crew headed upstairs, footsteps were heard running higher up..as if to get away from them.
At one point, the spirit leaned over the railing to look down at them...Great images were recorded. I'd like to think it was all legit.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#45 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

Remember that episode where they were in that asylum or prison or something where they saw this huge black anomoly kind of hovering toward the camera the backing up really fast and dissapearing? That looked fake. I remember thinking that it looked like a guy with a big black blanket over himself, then when it backs off, I swear I saw a pair of feet there when it "runs off". Hovering black mists shouldnt need Converse All stars to get around...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users