White Noise

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

I heard that "White Noise" was released on DVD this past Tuesday. It was a movie that I definitely wanted to see, but couldn't make it to the theater.

My friend called me the other day and told me that she saw it and thought it was great. I had mentioned to her that I would probably want to buy it rather than rent it because it would be a movie I would love to own. She cautioned me against it. She said "Rent it, watch it and bring it back". She had a terrifying paranormal experience while watching it, she wouldn't go into detail but she feels that keeping the movie around the house will open up portals that should remain closed. I still would like to buy it though. I guess I like to look for trouble. :Wall:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#2 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

I was pretty dissapointed in the movie. It started off good but took a turn into typical Hollywood thriller territory towards the end. My question for those folks who have first hand experience with EVPs is this: Do any of you think EVPs can contain premonitions about the future as the movie has them do? I've never heard this idea put forth anywhere other than in this flick. Also, the movie seems imply EVPs have the potential to unleash evil ala a ouija board. Again, I've never heard this claim before. Another Hollywood invention, or is there some basis for it? The documentary bonus features included on the disc in which real people who study EVPs are interviewed seem to confirm that the movie took substantial liberties with what is generally believed about this phenomenon, but I didn't see any outright admission to that effect.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#3 dchastain

dchastain

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

I was pretty dissapointed in the movie. It started off good but took a turn into typical Hollywood thriller territory towards the end.

My thoughts, exactly... I thought they took it too far as they tend to do with trying to make these topics more palatable for the mainstream. I thought it was great until they killed off the character helping Michael Keaton listen for his wife. They should have developed that storyline instead of becoming more of a "they're out to get you" plot. They could have done something similar to "Dragonfly" to get that the wife still loved him. Repeated wispy, but arguable attempts to get the message across... and a final vindication.

I watched half a dozen accounts from real-life enthusiasts in the bonus section of the DVD. Most of those interviewed were trying to contact someone they loved. I have to wonder what their opinion of the movie was.

#4 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

I just watched white noise and being the big woos i am, I dont think i'll be going out of my way to get EVP's in the future lol... Hey humphrey B bear scares me!! A bear with no pants?? thats just wrong!

Anyway, i liked the movie for a while there, but the sudden loud noises and faces on the tv popping out, yep, they scared me lol..but it was predictable ( the movie plot) so i knew when to look away lol. But my man insists on playing movies with the surround sound lol. Well...I have to say, the end confused me... I thought he was ok, wasnt he standing up wiht a dumbfounded look on his face? Next thing you know they're all at his funeral? Did he get shot by the police? or was it the beating he took from the spirits? what happened? I am so lost with that lol....BUT at least i understood what was going on, my man said he didnt enjoy it cause he had no idea what was going on most the time.. We borrowed the copy from a freind, he said he'd like to watch it on a better quality DVD then decide. ( I think all the white noise on the DVD upset him ) lmao :whoohoo:

#5 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

If i had a dollar every time i was beat to death by spirits....
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

If i had a dollar every time i was beat to death by spirits....

and that ladies and gentleman is just plain wrong :yellowbounce:

I really didn't like the movie and it wasn't EVP
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Um, Harry Potter if you couldn't guess. And a good ghost story on the side! lol

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

Yay . . . I just rented it . . . but I won't get a chance to watch it till after my neice goes to sleep . . . right now I'm watching Racing Stripes with her *rolls eyes* lol :headbang:
Aura: Crimson . . . the hot sexy beasts of GV!THE BANANA SAY'S, "Don't peel me, I want to live!"Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

I just watched white noise and being the big woos i am, I dont think i'll be going out of my way to get EVP's in the future lol... Hey humphrey B bear scares me!! A bear with no pants?? thats just wrong!

Anyway, i liked the movie for a while there, but the sudden loud noises and faces on the tv popping out, yep, they scared me lol..but it was predictable ( the movie plot) so i knew when to look away lol. But my man insists on playing movies with the surround sound lol. Well...I have to say, the end confused me... I thought he was ok, wasnt he standing up wiht a dumbfounded look on his face? Next thing you know they're all at his funeral? Did he get shot by the police? or was it the beating he took from the spirits? what happened? I am so lost with that lol....BUT at least i understood what was going on, my man said he didnt enjoy it cause he had no idea what was going on most the time.. We borrowed the copy from a freind, he said he'd like to watch it on a better quality DVD then decide. ( I think all the white noise on the DVD upset him ) lmao :headbang:

SPOILER ALERT

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

He was killed by the evil spirits. He wasn't standing up, he was lying on the ground in a "Jesus Christ pose" (to quote Soundgarden).
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#9 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Um, Harry Potter if you couldn't guess. And a good ghost story on the side! lol

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:41 PM

gosh, I am about to watch it, but I really don't want to alone *scared* oh well . . . *lip quivers as I pop in the DVD* here it goes
Aura: Crimson . . . the hot sexy beasts of GV!THE BANANA SAY'S, "Don't peel me, I want to live!"Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:04 AM

lol Bob, I did consider this, but how can i ask the question i asked without giving things away :whoohoo:

Besides, i figured people might NOT read the thread before they watch the movie, incase a 'spoiler' has posted lol... I guess i was wrong :headbang:

Oh and thanks for explaining the ending to me :wave:

#11 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

I just wasted 4 bucks . . . that movie was stinky . . . :Spaz:

#12 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hey humphrey B bear scares me!! A bear with no pants?? thats just wrong!

Simmy, you city girl! A bear WITH pants is wrong!! LOL! :Spaz:

I just watched this a couple of hours ago. I love Michael Keaton and thought 'Oh good, he's back on screen again.' Too bad he was in such a stinker. What a downer. There was a lot they could have done to make this a better movie. Like have M. Night Shamalan (sp?) direct it...there wasn't anything remotely creepy about it - just a few "gotchas" sprinkled in. What a shame they didn't develop the relationships between the fat guy and Michael Keaton or the blond girl and Michael Keaton - and how bizarre - I just watched it and have no clue what the character's names were... :yawn:
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#13 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

I really, really, really disliked this movie...such a disappointment after all the hype. I wish I had waited to rent it. rather than going to the theater to see it. I would have saved some money and I could have turned the darned thing off. Of course, I could also have walked out of the theater, too, I guess.

I should have.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#14 Goddess Four Wins

Goddess Four Wins

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, spititism, spirits! Oh! And other things, too!

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:26 PM

I had a little strange thing happened when I first watched The Ring on video...so I was kinda wound pretty tightly, watching White Noise.

You know how, when a movie is rewinding, your TV screen is blue, until you take the tape out of the VCR?

I watched The Ring alone. Yes, it scared the poo outta me. After the movie rewound, just for a couple of seconds, my TV gave me a snow screen...then went back to blue.

I almost wet myself. I turned everything off and left my house...IMMEDIATELY!

I watched The Ring, again, the night before I watch White Noise. My little memory of the weirdness my TV did was in the back of my mind the whole time. I'm guessing it made me sensitive to the White Noise effects...hehehe.

I watched it with my parents. My mom and I have always been believers, but my dad's just recently joined the party. He was teasing me that my broken car radio was going to come on, during my drive home. I made sure I had the volume turned all the way down...just in case.

Much Love...GFW
*I left the D out of my name so anyone searching for me can't find me! LOL They don't all need to know about my other addiction!*

#15 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:02 AM

The only movie that I have ever felt like it was gonna "curse" me or whatever . . open up portels lol . . . was Poltergeist . . . still freakes me out . . even though I'm older now . . the movie itself isn't really scary . . . but it just gives off this weird feeling to me . . like I dunno . . . someone is watching it with you lol . . oh well . . but yeah . . I know what you mean GFW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users