Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

The last posting in here was a while ago, but in case anyone drops in to read about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, there is a treasury of the three books in that series. It has the illustrations, the footnates, the everything . . . and while it's not quite as creepy when you're all grown up, it holds up surprisingly well over the years.

Did a review of this on my blog recently, and it is the most popular hit of all my entries. Definitely still a lot of interest in it - though I'm sure quite a bit is nostalgia driven! Time to introduce a new generation to it! :ghost:

Posted Image

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#17 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

te he he. i remember those!!! i still have mine. i used to love the one about the window wiper who couldn't pronounce his w's. i'm the viper, i vish to vash and vipe your vindows. or the one about the big toe, or harold that crazy homocidal doll. speaking of homcidal dolls, did anyone ever LOVE to tell the story of the cha cha doll when they were younger? funny story on that. in 4th grade i was at a sleep over and some girl told it. we all got sooo scared that we were up until six in the morning, her parents founds us huddled in a circle of salt. good times.
alexa
Love life.

#18 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

What is the story of the Cha Cha Doll? :ghost:

#19 LindenD

LindenD

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

I remember that book I absolutely love it. I have the treasury, sometimes when I am bored I read the stories just for the heck of it. I love the illustrations, I remember in 2nd grade my teacher taught us how to draw pictures like that, it was realy cool :). Some of my favorite stories are "Cold as Clay", "The Bus Stop", and "The wolf Girl" I also like the one about the guy who makes people and animals into sausage! I love those books they are great :)
"Transcend the Boundaries of Reality"

#20 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

Truly loved those books - practically wore out the copies at my school library - but boy, I had to cover 'em up with other books, or turn 'em upside down because they scared me so much. Those illustrations were terrifying. But I remember reading them with friends - and to this day, I can still hear "Me Tie Dough-ty Walker" as read by third grade girls. :)

#21 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

I didn't know these books were that popular, they were so great when I was little...but they don't really scare me as much as they used to.

#22 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Well - they don't scare me as much -- I can actually leave the book out at night next to my bed without covering it up. :weeee:

From a cultural standpoint, they still have some of our classic folktales - and on a dark night around a campfire, I bet even "The Hook" might sound a little spooky. They're no "Homer" or "Iliad" or Shakespeare, but I do think they should be encouraged reading for sociologists and anthropologists of North America. :clap:

#23 orb-energy

orb-energy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Any thing paranormal, reptiles, and cars.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:40 PM

These books are scary. I have three of them but did not read all of the stories yet.
To know the character of a community, I need only visit its cemeteries. -Benjamin Franklin

#24 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

Have to admit I can only read a few stories at a time or my imagination starts to get the better of me . . . :ghost:

#25 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

Does anyone remember these books?

They scared the crap out of me when I was little. I'm surprised that my catholic grade school had them in the library.

I was thinking of getting a sleeve tatooed based on the art from them. With my luck, I'd look at my arm before bed and not be able to sleep :o

That is a really cool illustration!

#26 ThoseintheDark

ThoseintheDark

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

Yep.I'm 14 just ordered the first on Amazon.I can see little kids being scared by it and glad to see it is rising.One of the great horror reads people. ;)

Edited by ThoseintheDark, 16 October 2006 - 03:36 PM.

#27 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

I love those books, but I havent seen them for a long time! Is there a name, like the person who compiled all the stories into the book so I know where to look for it?

#28 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Alvin Schwartz :Spaz:

The book was published by HarperCollins and the Illustrations*which are my favourite and creepiest part of the books for me* were done by Stephen Gammell
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

#29 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ohhh, thanks Willow! :Spaz:

#30 789!

789!

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

These are great books (although it looks like they are bundled into the one volume now),
Perfect for campfire tales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users