• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

Description and Purpose

Mrs. Spooky Pants best described the purpose of this board when she wrote:

Welcome to the Technical Support Board, a place where you can ask questions about the web site, the message boards, the search engine, and more!

Please keep in mind that this is not a discussion board in the traditional sense, but a place to ask and have your questions answered. So after a question is answered, the topic will be closed. But the answer will remain for everyone to see.

Make sure that you read through all of the questions that are on the board. Some one may have had the same question that you do and it may have already been answered!

I would like to add that queries in this board should be related to Ghost Village (problems posting, etc) or affect many Villagers (the post on Yahoo!'s privacy statement comes to mind). If you are not sure if a request is appropriate for the Technical Support Board, please PM the current moderator.

As usual, the standard Member Guidelines apply.

If a fellow villager posts a question and you know the answer, don't hesitate to reply; we are here to grow as a community.

I (Lokela aka the Aloha Spirit) am a consultant in real life. If you have a problem, you can email me for a quote (yes, I will charge for non-trivial problems).

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

I will, from time to time, add a common problem and its solution to this list.

Jeff has put together a general FAQ geared towards new Villagers.

Question What does RTFM stand for?

Answer Read the Freaking Manual. Many of your questions may already be answered either in this general FAQ or the FAQ posted in each forum. If your question isn't addressed in the FAQ, read the other posts in Technical Support or whichever board is most pertinent to your problem (Search is your friend). After that bit of research, feel free to start a new thread.

Other internet slang (also called 1337 or leet) is the topic of another thread.

Question What's happening at Ghost Village? The look and feel is different and I miss ___ from before.

Answer Read about the new message boards.

Question I am offended by a post, or see a post that breaks the Member Guidelines - what should I do?

Answer There is a button labeled "report" attached to each message. Clicking on this button will notify the moderator of that board. For problems in Chat, save the transcript and PM it to one of the mods.

Question Why does it say newbie under my name and when will it change?

Answer Ghost Village uses ranks (such as Junior Villager) to give incentive for Villagers to participate. Currently we have:
0 - 9 : Members
10 - 149 : Junior Villager
150 - 299 :Villager
300 - 499 : Senior Villager
500+ : Village Elder

Question I've made posts, but the number next to my name doesn't increase. Is this a bug?

Answer It was decided that posts in the Suburbs (Real Life, Boiling Point, and Fun 'n' Games) won't count towards ranks.

Question Why do some people have unique titles under their avatars?

Answer The Ghost gives these titles to some people based on what they've posted.

Question Does Ghost Village support HTML?

Answer No. HTML would introduce too many security holes, so we use a similar technology called BB Code.

Question Since Ghost Village doesn't host images, how can I share photos, EVPs, or video captures off my computer?

Answer We have a thread that explains how to use the current recommended file host. The boards dealing specifically with Spiritography, EVPs, and Spirit Videos have their own FAQs. Spooky also started another thread about the dangers of direct linking to other hosts. Use which ever host you like, just always read their ToS (Terms of Service) and Privacy Policies.

Question How do I change my avatar?

Answer Check out this thread.

Question How do I change my screen name?

Answer Send a PM to mysspookypants and she can take care of it for you.

Question I've asked to track a topic, but now wish to stop receiving the notifications. How do I do that?

Answer Go here.

Question What is the comments section of my profile, and how can I control it?

Answer Go here.

Question Why is the calendar on top of the page off by a year?

Answer This is a bug in the software we use. More details can be found in this thread.

Question I heard about a secret place for the mods. What's up with that?

Answer The moderators gather in the cafe to discuss GV business.

Question Every time I visit a page on Ghost Village, my anti-virus warns me that a Trojan horse is trying to download. Is your site infected?

Answer Ghost Village itself is free of malware, but you may have picked up Trojan.JS.Redirector somewhere else. This Trojan redirects your web traffic to a certain page to download another Trojan. This thread and this one have links for a Trojan remover.

Question I've received a virus warning in the email; how can I tell if it's a hoax?

Answer Sophos has lists of the latest real viruses as well as hoaxes.

Question My question isn't answered in this FAQ.

Answer While not technically a question, it's still a valid concern. I've unlocked this thread for Villagers to post candidate questions. Also feel free to start a new thread after you've RTFM.

Edited by aloha_spirit, 10 March 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#2 ghostchick7

ghostchick7

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:ghosthunting acting singing helping ghosts cross over being with my children impersonatoring kelly osbourne for a living also dancing and reading,also cheerleading.

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

Hi was just wondering why my posts are not going higher at all i have been stuck at 23 posts for a while now dont know why unless i cant see them anymore or something can you write me back and tell me why thanks ghostchick7 i have been posting alot too.

#3 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Question I've made posts, but the number next to my name doesn't increase. Is this a bug?

Answer It was decided that posts in the Supburbs (Real Life, Boiling Point, and Fun 'n' Games) won't count towards ranks.

The answer is in the first part of this FAQ thread, to which you posted. Next time make sure you read through all of the FAQs as Aloha_Spirit has done an excellent job in answering many questions.

#4 Blair Jett

Blair Jett

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

Presently I cannot view anyone`s profile. I get an error message from your site. Is this normal for newbies like me?

#5 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Please see the following link for important information on membership status:

Important information regarding membership status.

#6 Seaflora

Seaflora

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts and the paranormal, Music, Movies, TV, Reading, Travelling, Shopping and animals.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

[size=5]Description and Purpose[/sQuestion I've made posts, but the number next to my name doesn't increase. Is this a bug?

Answer It was decided that posts in the Suburbs (Real Life, Boiling Point, and Fun 'n' Games) won't count towards ranks.

I was just about to ask why my number of posts wasn't increasing, but this explains it.

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was just about to ask why my number of posts wasn't increasing, but this explains it.

And that is the reason for FAQ (frequently asked questions).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users