Disbelievers Vs. The Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#256 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

Any body put any thought into the Sheep & Goat experiment?

In 1942 Dr. Schmelder who was the professor of psychology
ay NYCU divided her students using a questionaire to determine
which were believers of psi and which were not.
When she had finished culling the "sheep-believers" from the
"goat-non-believers" she experimented usind target cards
(used for esp evaluation) on the two groups.
What she found was that the Sheep scored significantly higher than
average and the goats scored significantly lower than average.
What are your thoughts on this.... :ghost:

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#257 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

As I said somewhere else recently, "3 knocks" or something similar, there's no substitute for personal experience.

By the way, the name of cards came to me I think. Weren't they Rhine cards?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#258 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

I think your right...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#259 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

Dear Plindboe,

If you're trying to "get my goat", as the old saying goes, others have done a lot better. Keep trying though. You'll improve.

I'm not trying to get your goat. Just amazed when people constantly attack science while enjoying it's benefits. Sure is ironic when people use the ultimate product of science; the computer, to call science crap and ignorance.

I think the problem is not science, but people's unrealistic expectations of science. People use the fact that science isn't omniscient as an argument against science. Perhaps they want science to be a god; a kind of substitute for religion, and get disappointed when science humbly and honestly reveals that it doesn't know everything, and that there is in fact alot of stuff yet to discover.

You need to be precise about the transformer and welding otherwise I can't address it. You have a habit of being very vague so people can't address your points. I'm not sure what you think that achieves.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#260 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:22 PM

Dear Plindboe,

If you're trying to "get my goat", as the old saying goes, others have done a lot better. Keep trying though. You'll improve.

I'm not trying to get your goat. Just amazed when people constantly attack science while enjoying it's benefits. Sure is ironic when people use the ultimate product of science; the computer, to call science crap and ignorance.

I think the problem is not science, but people's unrealistic expectations of science. People use the fact that science isn't omniscient as an argument against science. Perhaps they want science to be a god; a kind of substitute for religion, and get disappointed when science humbly and honestly reveals that it doesn't know everything, and that there is in fact alot of stuff yet to discover.

You need to be precise about the transformer and welding otherwise I can't address it. You have a habit of being very vague so people can't address your points. I'm not sure what you think that achieves.

Dear Peter,

The transformer problem is how power is transferred from one set of coils to another. We call it induction, but no one knows what that means. To be honest, I don't remember what the problem is in welding. I when I had my electrical contracting business, a welder asked me about it, and I in turn asked my brother, the hard science expert in my circle, about it, and he replied that there WAS no answer. Interestingly, what brought them to mind was the mention of both problems in Vol. 11 issue 64 of "Infinite Energy" magazine. The magazine also has a pretty good word picture of the transformer problem. Heck, physics doesn't even give a very good explanation of electrical conduction! The more I learn of electrons, the more I'm convinced that they don't exist in any material sense.

I don't reject science, the truth couldn't be more different. What pulls my chain about modern science is it's assurance that it's paradigms are sacrosanct, and the destruction of conflicting evidence. Imagine a prosecuting attorney who shreds evidence proving the defendant innocent.

PULEEZ PETER!!, When does science "humbly and honestly" reveal that it doesn't know everything? Was that when American Anthropologists declared that there had been "No pre-columbian contact between the New World and the Old?".

You're right in that I am not primarily interested in debating small points of fact, when we cannot even agree on what evidence to accept as real.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users