• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ARFFire

ARFFire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I was curious why I dont see these in paranormal investigating. They are not cheap by any means, but the Kestrel 4000 and 4500 will take all environmental conditions you can think of and stores it for later review.

Any thought or feedback?

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Environmental data is crucial in any investigation. These meters do provide that data, and if someone was starting out I would recommend they obtain these. The concept of a portable meter over larger more stabilized devices does have a few slight drawbacks, but the portability also is a plus. About the only downside, and this holds true for any consolidated device that performs multiple functions, is that equipment failure will take out all capabilities. Separate devices provide some redundency in event that one becomes defective.

#3 ARFFire

ARFFire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Environmental data is crucial in any investigation. These meters do provide that data, and if someone was starting out I would recommend they obtain these. The concept of a portable meter over larger more stabilized devices does have a few slight drawbacks, but the portability also is a plus. About the only downside, and this holds true for any consolidated device that performs multiple functions, is that equipment failure will take out all capabilities. Separate devices provide some redundency in event that one becomes defective.

They worked GREAT when I was a fire fighter out in california(although the chiefs used them...us FFs used the belt weather kit lol) I am trying to budget a few of these in.

Also, I did not want to start another topic, but what about 4 gas analyzers? They measure CO, CO2, CH4(LEL/UEL) and O2 levels...which might be a cause for "the paranormal". They can be quite expensive also, but I am sure if you can find a cause from just ONE report, it might save someone from long-term health or life safety issues that MIGHT be a cause and I think it will be well worth it for that reason.

Anyways, thanks for the input CaveRat

#4 coredump

coredump

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

Our paranormal investigation team uses both the Kestrel 4500 and a CO meter.

The Kestrel 4500 is really nice, you can take a snapshot of all weather parameters (date, time, wind direction & speed, barometric pressure, humidity, dewpoint, wind chill, and more...) with a simple press of a button. Or you can configure it to log the weather data at a specified sample rate. The Kestrel 4500 is small enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket and has a red backlit display for night use.

-Don
P.O.S.T. Paranormal
postparanormal.com

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I agree regarding the 4 gas meters. Depleted O2 levels as well as CO are a serious hazard, especially where combustion is present such as furnaces / water heaters / wood stoves. While unlike confined work areas, explosion risks are generally minimal in this type of work, it still does not hurt to test for them if you intend to enter a confined space. In fact if you are following OSHA requirements for a work site under their guidelines, it would be required.

Our association does have a four gas meter and all new investigation sites are tested as a matter of protocol on the initial visit if for no other reason than to simply establish a baseline for future data.

#6 ARFFire

ARFFire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the input CaveRat and coredump.

You are right about the LEL/UEL, you should be able to smell propane/methane before it becomes dangerous(the reason for the nasty smell chemsit add to them lol) same with an O2 rich environment, wont cause really any health issues.

#7 Observer47

Observer47

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

I was curious why I dont see these in paranormal investigating. They are not cheap by any means, but the Kestrel 4000 and 4500 will take all environmental conditions you can think of and stores it for later review.

Any thought or feedback?

My team uses the Kestrel 4000. It is very useful. IMHO I think hand held weather stations are a must for investigations. The data it supplies is invaluable. It was worth the prize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users